General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
CALPOL!!!
Something to suck on take off or landing ... dare I suggest a dummy?
The correct documents ... passport and health details eg what vaccinations your little one has had
Favourite cuddly
Adequate travel insurance ... my son got Otitis Media aged 11 months in New York ... and the cost of a visit to the Emergency Room (we couldn't raise a local doc) plus the cost of antibiotics were eyewatering (both at the time and when converted into today's money!)
At least two spare nappies for the journey
Sun cream - high SPF value or even block
Hat/head covering including back of the neck
Cotton nightie/pjs.
A couple of things to keep her entertained in the pool e.g. small bucket, floating duck etc
hi marlou...cant remember where your off now....but fine net curtain...like a plain voile...if there is any risk of flies or mossies....so when she is lying in the travel cot you can cover over the top...one of the flat thermometers you put on the head...easy to take ...and if your worried easy to check her out...sterilising tablets...you can even use them disolved in water to wipe stuff and surfaces...like a mild bleach solution...paper disposable bibs...cheap from the pound shop...handy for plane and going out ....tweetie

ps shirley just reminded me...one of those rubber rings with the seat in the middle ...so you can play with her in the pool...
Thanks everyone. Good idea Shirleyh with the duck, i'll pack her bath ducks. Are mossies that much of an issue in Spain, would I need a mossie net :think
Tweetie i'll buy one of those inflatables when we get out there, to save on the weight.
Alsa I've sorted out the insurance and have ordered her a E/U card so all good there thanks. Keep the suggestions coming :tup
A lightweight blanket to cover her up if she falls asleep in the buggy of a night, when you're out & about.
hi marlou...depends where and when you go...but flies are a pain too...you wont need a mossie net...my friend used to take an old voile net curtain...to cover top of travel cot when the baby went down for a nap...she had a thing about flies going near the baby...get one from a charity shop or cadge an old one off someone....they dont weigh anything...but really handy if there are flies or mossies about....tweetie
If your room only has a shower take a small inflatable paddling pool so you can bath her in it. :tup
Take an old ice cream tub (2 litre size) and sterilising tablets to sterilise bottles. At the end of the holiday you can dump it.
Only take enough nappies for the journey and the first day and buy them when you get there. Do take swimming nappies though as they are more difficult to get hold of abroad. Don't do what we did once and change your little one into a swimming nappy and then put her into her buggy to walk to he pool/beach. Swimming nappies only retain solid waste; any liquid leaks out.
Good tip Elaine :rofl
Millie they look really good however there's no way the little one would tolerate it. She'll only sit in the buggy if she's got full view of everything. She's such nosy so and so :rofl
Jay trip i'll have a look now see if we have bath/shower :tup
Take a cotton sheet or use a sarong to drape over the buggy to shade Ava-may whilst sleeping,a travel kettle so that you can boil bottled water before using for her drinks.If she is taking formula by the time you go on holiday get her to drink it at room temperature,that way you can take pre-measured bottles of water and just add the formula when needed,you won't have to worry about keeping milk cool then.
Good tip Oscarben. She does drink milk at room temp so that's good. I have little milk powder pots so will take them with me :tup
If you're taking your expensive buggy ,take the hood off whenever possible because we found the strong sunlight faded ours when we took Alex as a baby.When we took him the following year we had a smaller buggy and had a white cotton buggy liner in it, not sure if you can still get them.Just looked on e-bay and they re available still.
We are stealing helent's lightweight stroller. Our pram is way too bulky.
Marlou wrote:

Millie they look really good however there's no way the little one would tolerate it. She'll only sit in the buggy if she's got full view of everything. She's such nosy so and so :rofl

My little girl was the same at that age but we used this - http://www.shade-a-babe.co.uk/acatalog/solar_shade.html#a221

It's so much better than the parasols you get for buggy's and they can still see but are totally shaded. They are really stretchy too and when my daughter fell asleep we tied the hood further down the buggy and it totally covered her just like the other shade a babe on the other link.

Watch which bottled water you use to make up formula as some bottled water has high sodium content. We were advised to use Evian water. Google which water is best for babies when abroad and you'll find lots of info on "Mummy forums".

Also nappies first time we went we just took enough for the first few days but subsequent holidays we used to line the bottom of our cases with nappies under the zip bit.

Enjoy your holiday you'll have a blast!
If you have a fridge/freezer box in your room put a flannel in the fridge overnight. Also a bottle of water (freeze if possible - tip a little out first).

Next day wrap the flannel round the water bottle. We do this and it's really handy when you're walking around etc for a quick cooling off wipe.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.