Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
We've mainly gone diy for the last four or five years and have been lucky enough not to be affected by any of the collapses so far. I can't really say I prefer diy its just that its generally worked out cheaper that way and we tend to book the best deal we can find (whilst also using a bit of common sense!)

Whenever we do book diy we always use a credit card for the added protection it gives you. The troubles seen over the lat few couple of this years won't put me off building my own holidays again, I'll just be more careful when booking and research the company who I'm using thoroughly.

I'm sure we'd all book packages if they weren't so expensive. I've lost count of the number of times I've priced up a package only to then look at the same holiday diy, and find its not just a few pounds cheaper but a good few hundred. Whilst thats the case you're always going to get people continuing to book this way.
We always book DIY.By this I mean we book the Airline, Hotel and Country by ourselves.the Airline is always a sheduled flight and we always take off on time , more or less.We have never lost a holiday or a flight.Yes you do pay more but as we are in our early 60's and retired we don't want any hassle.It's more difficult with children when I appreciate the best option is a package.

Ian
I can't stand the suspense of it all!!!
We're booked to fly in just 3 weeks, but I can't rest worrying whether our
holiday firm will collapse, if there will be an airport strike, or will the volcano act up again,
spewing an ash cloud over Bristol airport!
Never again, (I tell myself every year) will we book months in advance.
Next year, we are booking last minute, and flying the next day!!!!!

Are packages safer??
We booked a package, but when the paperwork arrived, we discovered flights, and
accommodation are with 2 seperate companies,
so double the worry whether one or the other is going to go bust, and we end up with no flights
or no accommodation!!
You just can't win :que
Pandy, book with a reputable company like Thomson or Thomas Cook, Pay More but sleep easy.At least you will get a holiday.

Ian
I know RIK, but I'm being a bit unfair really.
we have been using the same holiday firm for 6 years now,
and they've always come good, cheap and cheerful as they may be. (the same holiday with T.C. would have cost us
an extra £340, an awful lot when we live on seasonal Cornish wages).
We did get stranded in Portugal once because of the British fuel strikes, but not their fault.
I find the airport strikes, to be the biggest worry to be honest, they throw something up every year,
and no matter how good your holiday company,they don't have much of a say in strikes and ash clouds!!
I'm just a pessimist. I always fear the worst. However, we do invest in a good insurance
that covers most problems, should they occur. ;)
don't think diy will ever die but will become more select sort of vaction there will always be the main airline that as long as you pay by credit card you should be ok,but with the global recession hitting hard nothing can be ruled out
:sun2
we have had this senario before back in the late 70s i think with the like of courtairline , channel airlines and a few other all going broke not to mention laker
Although i don't think DIY will die it isn't the cheapest option anymore we have DIY'd for the past 4 -5 years as well. However this year we have booked a week in Icmeler including flight, 4* acommodation, transfers and 20kg baggage for less than the cost of flight only. We have the added security of a package and it was an absolute bargain. 21 sleeps and counting :D :D :D :sun2
20 sleeps to mine.............. and counting :sun2 :haha :haha :haha :hols
i can never see diy die out. we have booked flights for next august and a fantastic private appartment in hissaronu,all this for £325 each for 2 weeks i dont think any package could match that.
as i have said in previous posts its all about personal choice my guests all seem to like there own enviroment and be able to do what they want when they want, its theres for the two weeks or so its rented, but this is not what everyone wants
if you work the flights properly you can always get a bargain
:sun2
Paid £210 for my 2 week package in 3 weeks nuttynet!!

We took 7 of us on a 2 week package to Majorca for just £1200 a couple of years ago,
in the middle of August!!!
We took 8 of us on a 2 week package to Portugal last year for £1400 in July.

I have yet to get these cheap flights everyone else seems to be able to.
Our package holiday to Turkey would have cost us over £600 had we gone down the DIY route!!!
pandy where did you find a package so cheap.i am still looking for a week in september this year byt nothing available.
I don't think that DIY will die but I think that the numbers will drop as more and more people choose the safety of the package holiday.

I am usually a DIY'er but travelled with Thomas Cook this year and have also booked them for next year. I will see what happens for the year after, for Spain I think that DIY will always be very tempting but for other places(Cyprus this year and Turkey next) I would rather book a package as price wise is about the same anyway.
Ice lolly holidays nuttynet.
I've just booked a week in Portugal, early October, for myself and my 10 year old Grand-son, for (wait for it)
£89-00 each!!!!!! :rofl
O.K. I've got to take him out of school for the week, but he's never missed a day's school in his life,
so we don't care!! I think the prices go up for half term week.
If you book through a company such as icelolly, how are you covered should anything happen? I'm just curious as get differing info...

Thanks
Ruth
Well it's a package Ruth. Protected by ABTA and ATOL
We took out a very good insurance policy that covers cancellations and
strikes e.t.c.
O.K. the package doesn't include in-flight meals, or transfers, but I know my way around the Algarve,
and I'll either get the train, or hop on the shuttle bus at the airport.

We have used icelolly before, and also teletext, and up to date,
(touch wood) we have never been let down.
We have never paid more than £300 for a holiday, ever!!
I signed up to receive e-mails from Martin Lewis, (Martin the money man) and receive regular info on holiday
bargains.
He recommends both icelolly, and teletext, and as a money expert, I doubt he would
recommend these companies unless he trusted them. Good enough for me :tup http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-holiday-haggling-guide#pvd
Thanks pandy... I will give it a look, only down fall is for me is that I am limited to school holiday's... We went DIY this year, but with just me and my daughter it was cheaper DIY in peak season if you can manage to bag an early bargin flight. Some packages in peak times are just eye watering and resorts just crazt hot n busy... Oh joy!

She is only 4 so will see how strick school policy is for next summer.

Thanks
Ruth
I think I always will keep booking packages for peace of mind, even if it costs more :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.