Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Hotel in HK
4 Posts
Nope, but i've stayed at another Harbour Plaza (the Harbour Grand I think it's called now) and it was outstanding, my favourite HK hotel (for price vs stunning views).
I stumbled onto this post while looking for something else and I could not resist by registering just to be able to reply.

Harour Plaza resort city hotel is very convenient for going into China, which must be a reason why your company booked this, but it cannot be any further away from city centre.

Any hotel 3* or better in Hong Kong is usually good. Harour Plaza resort city hotel is 4* (and cheap) so you will have no worry as far as accommodation quality is concerned.

Yes you need HK dollars for paying taxi fare and yes do show him the hotel name in Chinese if you can (you can copy the chinese name of the hotel and print it yourself). I do not know the route but the fare should be betweenHK$200-300. Take a GREEN taxi from the airport which is cheaper. GREEN taxi is not allowed into city centre. RED taxi can go anywhere. Harour Plaza resort city hotel is in outskirt (actually the very edge) so GREEN taxi can go there.

You'll find ATMs everywhere for every debit/credit cards. I would challenge you to find any other city with more ATMs than Hong Kong! Hong Kong banks have the best exchange rate for any currency. If your budget is large, take US$ cash and change them in Hong Kong (in banks, and some large bureau de changes. DO NOT change at the airport!). Getting cash from ATMs incurr charge and the exchange rate of your (US?) bank will be be no where near as good as those in Hong Kong. e.g. You'll get at least HK$7.60 for every US$ in most places and mostly without charge. If you cannot get that, go somewhere else.

Getting from Harour Plaza resort city hotel into city centre is a pain, for time and money spent.
If I were you I'll ask your company to book you into a city hotel at least for the time when meet your husband and presumably sight seeing in Hong Kong.

Everywhere in Hong Kong is well served by public transport so you can go everywhere cheaply and quickly if you are in city (Kowloon/Hong Kong).
Hi Ron,
Thanks so much for your very informative and helpful reply, much better than I could have hoped for from a travel agent. I saw on the hotel website that they have a free shuttle bus into the city, is that not the case? and would it be reasonably inexpensive to sightsee via taxi or public transport. We have an office in Kowloon so most of my questions will be answered once there but the ones you have answered needed sorting before we go. Many thanks once again.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.