Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
We've just booked to stay in the Sol e Mar in the old town. This hotel is right on the beach with every room having a sea view.

Photo :- HERE

We booked with Active hotels http://www.activereservations.com/ as they did B&B as we didn't want HB.
Hi does anyone know of other hotels on the beach, as the one that has been suggested is not suitable for people with walking difficulties and my friend is in a wheel chair.
There are no hotels in Albufeira really 'on the beach' except for Sol e Mar and as you say there are about twenty steps down to the sand . The hotel Baltum is only about 100 meters from the beach but unfortunately is smack in the middle of the current building work and access to the beach from there is very problematic at the moment. Once the work is finished access to the beach will be almost on the level. I cannot think of anywhere actually in Albufeira where access to the beach is step free. Almost all the hotels are up on top of hills and as much as a mile from the beach.

Down at the Praia da Oura there is a ramp down to the beach but if memory serves that has a few steps at the bottom also.

I have to say (others may disagree of course) that with all its hills and steps Albufeira is far from being suitable for wheelchair users.
What about Clube Praia da Oura, this complex has self catering apartments overlooking the beach but it also has a lot of other apartments that are not. How you would go about ensuring you got a beach view apartment I would be unsure as a lot of this complex is timeshare owned but some travel companies do cover it. Also try http://www.clubepraiadaoura.com which is a direct link to the complex as well as the Oura Praia Hotel (but this hotel is not on the beach) & also Oura View Beach Club. Happy hunting. Cheers Jayjan
Have to agree with cubsur, Quarteria or Praia da Rocha would probably be more suitable for a wheelchair user.
Can I suggest you have a look at Monte Gordo on the eastern Algarve?
It attracts many wheelchair users and disabled people because it is very flat. It also has hotels right on the beach and others very close to it.
Pat
:glynis
Thanks everone for all your advice. :thanks I think I like the sound of Monte Gordo, I will have a little gander at that. Lynne
How about the Rocamar? It overlooks Fisherman's beach and, unlike the Sol e mar, has an outdoor pool. Although, again, lots of steps down to the beach.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.