General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Ooh no Lydia, can't be doing with that :really For my summer holidays I book a year in advance as I have to go during school holidays and know exactly what I want. I spend ages researching before keeping an eye on prices and then taking the plunge and booking. This year we're going to Zante at the beginning of August and I'm already compiling a shortlist of next Summer's hotels. By the time we get back from Zante, I will know exactly where I want to go and will probably book it within a couple of weeks of returning.
Depends where I'm going, up to now most of my main holidays have been long haul and they take a lot of research, I usually start planning my next as soon as I return from holiday(sometimes even before) so I usually book about 8-10months ahead (I've just booked flights to South Africa for next February) but if I'm going somewhere in Europe it's nearly always a spur of the moment decision, and I sometimes book just a few days ahead. But if I knew where and when I was planning to go in advance I would book as soon as I decided, no point in waiting as the hotel or dates that I wanted may no longer be available if I left it later to book.
Ooh no, I need to have something to look forward to. When I was having one hol per year, usually late June, early July I would have it booked by first week January. This year I had one over Easter and had booked the next one, which is September, before I went on the Easter one. I am trying not to book the next one before I go in Sept but you know I just might.
I'm going on holiday in October and I've already booked. I booked on Wednesday. I just had to book it now before someone else booked it before me.

I booked my French day trips about 50 days before to get the best deals.
no more than 6 month in advance usual only 1to3 months

wiz
thanks for that guys, i will hopefully be going to book in the next week, hopefully they will be some good deals on..
it depends on whether you want to go somewhere specific and when you want to go. Your's will be outside school holidays so if you're flexible on destination there may be something around at a good price. But too close may bring more cost - it could be too late for tickets to be posted and you'd get hit with special delivery charges. Try 3 weeks in advance but keep an eye on prices from well in advance so you know the market.
steve8482 wrote:
it depends on whether you want to go somewhere specific and when you want to go. Your's will be outside school holidays so if you're flexible on destination there may be something around at a good price. But too close may bring more cost - it could be too late for tickets to be posted and you'd get hit with special delivery charges. Try 3 weeks in advance but keep an eye on prices from well in advance so you know the market.

I'm not sure about the UK but here in Germany if I book last minute I can either download all info or pick up
tickets at the airport.
I have known British companies charge for collection at the airport !
an example http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/help/before-you-go/ticket-on-departure/ - this is Britain, you do them a favour by buying a holiday they nearly got lumbered with and they charge you for the service!
I am going away in September and booked late for us - December, and then I could only get one week in the villa we always go to :(

Went to Cuba in March and that was booked in November 2009 :yikes
I book my holiday a year in advance but actually start researching a holiday 18 months or more before hand. I debate on where to go then try and find the best deal. I then look at resorts and hotels on a number of well known travel websites. I then spend a year looking forward to my holiday and reading reviews and normally avoiding the price of my holiday in that time. Part of my holiday that I enjoy is the build up almost as much as the holiday.
We have found that our favourite hotel is always popular and we have to book months in advance. We booked our December holiday in April, mainly because having checked the website most days the price suddenly came down and we wanted to get booked before too many other people saw the holiday had come down in price.

I cannot speak for my husband but I am the sort of person who needs something to look forward to and even have a countdown clock on my computer.
im the same i have a countdown clock on my iphone to show how many days left till my holidays.
Lydia_girl wrote:
im the same i have a countdown clock on my iphone to show how many days left till my holidays.

Me to :)
personally I find that the longer I leave it the price tends to go up rather than down- unless you can risk a real last minute booking and I generally have a stong idea of where I want to go rather than leave it to chance.

We booked for end of July in Feb this year and will book for Aug next year prob in Aug this to be sure of getting where we want to go
The last few years I have booked 2-3 months before the holiday. I used to book well in advance but I only book it now when I have all the money together instead of putting down a deposit.
14 months in advance!!! I book end of May for the fololoing July
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.