America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Its not easy on public transport to get from anywhere on disney property to I Drive,Without a car i think you have to use lynx buses
and i think its 2-3 buses to get there.It all depends where you want to go on I Drive sea world is closer to disney at the bottom of I drive where universal is 4 mles up at the top of I Drive......I would advise to put the money on one side and use a taxi the fare i think used to be about $30.when we was on I drive we tryed to cab share with people to try to keep the fare down,but if you only going to go to i drive to go to sea world and universal try to put the money on one side before you go for a cab,or try to cab share it will keep the fare down you can get some cabs there that you can get 7 in.....have a lovely time getting round disney will be no problem with all there transport it just the downside when you want to go to universal and sea world....
There used to be a tram/bus service running up and down International Drive that took you to (or pretty close to) Universal and Sea World. Getting to Disney is harder, though, and we've always booked at hotels that offered transport to the theme parks. Personally, I've never seen the need for a car in Orlando.
I did not realise that international drive would be so difficult for us to get too, We dont want to eat in disney all the time as it's so expensive (i think). We also wanted to go to the oultlet malls, looks like taxi's then :( .

Thanks to everyone who has replied, much appreciated.
Why not just hire a car?

So much easier to get around then.

I-Drive is miles away from Disney.
you could get the disney transport to pleasure island area,lake buena vista not to far away where there, are cheaper places to eat than the disney hotels.....But at the end of a long day epsically if its your first visit to disney you will be tired and not fancy traveling far meals are big in america to save money could always share a meal,or do what we used to do is have a really big breakfast than lasts you the day,then have a meal on the night...never stopped at disney before thats why we like I drive for choice of places to eat,have a lovely trip.
Even if the food is more expensive in WDW than outside, I doubt if you would save enough to outweigh the taxi fares. Here is a link to the menu at Pop Century with prices. http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_popct.htm With the good exchange rate, it really isn't all that expensive and there's quite a wide choice.
You could also catch the Disney bus to Downtown Disney and eat there for a change. There is a McDonalds there and also two 'Wolfgang Puck Express' which is counter service and cheap but proper meals not burgers. http://www.allearsnet.com/menu/menu_wpe.htm
Thanks for all your advice, we really dont wont to hire a car as hubby is always driving (job) and would like a total break on this holiday.

Does anybody know whats at lake buena vista?

Like the idea of going to down town disney for a change, and agree that it would cost just as much to eat at disney if we got taxi's to eat elsewhere(very sensible) ;)
Although the Lake Buena Vista area is fairly close to Downtown Disney, it is still quite a long walk away. I don't think you would want to do it if it was hot/ with small children/ after a day at the parks! There are some buffet restaurants there like Shoneys, Sizzler and a Chinese buffet, most of the big chains really.

If you change your mind about the car hire, maybe you could just hire one for a week in the middle? Then you wouldn't have to do the long drive from the airport. There is car-rental on site at Disney World. Just ask at reception. They will come and pick you up from the hotel and take you to the car place.

PS Found the details! Alamo and National Car Rental has an office located at the Car Care Center outside the Magic Kingdom and at the Dolphin Resort. Shuttle service to the Car Care Center is available from all resorts and must be reserved at least one hour in advance. Alamo/National is open seven days/week from 7:30 am to 6:30 pm. The Dolphin is open from 8:15am - 4:00pm. The phone number is 407-824-3470 or 800-227-7368.
Thanks mehmeh1, you have been really helpful, will have a long think about car hire dont really want to but if we do then i have all your info. :tup
I think what you need is a good map so you can see distances and what is where in the way of restaurants. See this website : http://www.orlandomaps.co.uk/maps.html It looks like a pretty good one to me.
Have a look at driving directions on Mapquest.com- if you enter
1050 Century Drive
Lake Buena Vista
FL 32830

to: International Drive
Orlando
FL 32819
You can see the distance involved and the fact that these are major roads, mostly without pavements ( no one walks here).
Walking anywhere in August in Florida is not something you'd want to do - it is very hot and extremely humid.
You can get to other Disney parks on shuttle buses from your hotel but off Disney premises it gets difficult without a car.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.