Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
You are right Noggin, I should have posted on the visa thread however my reason for posting here was because I noticed someone mentioned here about getting a 12 month business visa. No problem as I am now getting advice via pm as you suggested and for which I am very grateful. Thanks guys :tup Hope your keeping well Noggin, long time no speak, all the best......Fizz
The straw that breaks the camels back for me (at the moment anyway) will be whether I can still afford to go to Goa!

Don't think we got too bad a price for this next trip but if flight prices keep going up as rapidly year on year as they have in recent times then I might begin to think that what I'm getting in return just isn't worth what I am paying.

We shall see, at the moment we still enjoy Goa........the good and (some) of the bad!

Fizz
I'm with you Fizz. Flight prices are the key and I don't think they are going to go backwards. The overall cost per day of an holiday to Goa gets lower the longer you stay. Two week holidays are getting very expensive.
My own opinion is that I would not want an high proportion of the cost of my holiday spent on the price of getting there, only to stay in a cheap and fairly basic lodging place. Makes sense to spend far less on getting there ( and that includes time and effort) and more on a bit of luxury when you arrive.
Goa is still winning our vote, but for how long remains to be seen. We travel to Goa in November, Gambia in the New Year. I believe that if Gambia got their act together and recognised why people are put off going they could really hit Goa's tourism big time.
I can't imagine not going to goa!

I would miss the people there too much :(
It is changing, every year it changes. Just hope that something good happens and people fall in love with it again.

I am yet to fall out of love with it though xxx
Sorry can't do the quotes thingy but just taking DaveWales point about the cost of flights being so expensive, I think £500 - £600 is pretty reasonable, I think the lowest I have paid was about 15 years ago and it was around £300. I have just priced up the cost of a return train ticket from Hereford to Gatwick - thats coming out around £130 - £140 - just a basic seat and thats it. Comparing it with a comfortable flight on Qatar from the UK all the way to Goa with the latest in flight entertainment, free food with plenty of choice, free drinks, seems like a pretty good deal to me. You can rent a really nice apartment in Goa for under £10 per night.
Goa still ticks the boxes for me :sun2
Sorry can't do the quotes thingy but just taking DaveWales point about the cost
of flights being so expensive, I think £500 - £600 is pretty reasonable, I think the lowest I have paid was about 15 years ago and it was around £300. I have just priced up the cost of a return train ticket from Hereford to Gatwick - thats coming out around £130 - £140 - just a basic seat and thats it. Comparing it with a comfortable flight on Qatar from the UK all the way to Goa with the latest in flight entertainment, free food with plenty of choice, free drinks, seems like a pretty good deal to me. You can rent a really nice apartment in Goa for under £10 per night.

The quotes thingy is quite easy, copy what you see (ie your post ) then paste it on to your reply. Highlight the lot by keeping your finger on the Control button and sweeping over the text with your mouse. When the post is all highlighted click on the Quote button you can see above the entry. Well explained ? Probably not !!!!

Anyway, in reply I still think that if you pay £600 for a flight and short term stay ( standard 2-3 week holiday) in a £10 per night lodging, (which isn't going to be that good if we are honest), are you getting a good deal compared to say, Gambia where you can get a decent 3-4 star hotel included with the flight for the same amount or less. ( We are paying £700 each for three weeks)

Yes I know, we love Goa too and that's why on:-

Our upcoming trip to Goa we are flying Qatar again but instead of going from Manchester which is far more local we fly from Gatwick as we saved £250 on the flight price when booked.( Paying £450 each versus £350 from M/C last year) Luckily there was an offer with Premier Inns at £29 per night right on the doorstep of the terminal. You quote the train ticket prices from Hereford as £130-£140 but if you try looking at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query you will find that by booking in advance you can save a fortune. We have booked single tickets each way, 12 weeks in advance of travel and are paying a total of £60 for two people, including reserved seats, from North Wales. I save on the petrol and parking at Manchester which is roughly the same amount !
Haven't been on a train for years and looking forard to sitting back with a bottle of fizzy and starting the holiday in style !
Dave Wales said ..... Haven't been on a train for years

We hadn't either!

We did that March 2009 and it worked really well, booked 2 months in advance for cheap prices and got to Clapham Junction for £11.00 each then £5 each from Clapham Junction to Gatwick. Spent more money in the time spent at Gatwick pre-flight than it cost to get there from Devon :) Was so surprised at how trains have changed, very comfy and (sorry to use this term) a trolley dolly bringing regular food and drinks, all in all a great experience and would do it again (at the right price). :tup

Oh and forgot to say......saved on parking too :)

Fizz
Anyway, in reply I still think that if you pay £600 for a flight and short term stay ( standard 2-3 week holiday) in a £10 per night lodging, (which isn't going to be that good if we are honest), are you getting a good deal compared to say, Gambia where you can get a decent 3-4 star hotel included with the flight for the same amount or less. ( We are paying £700 each for three weeks)

Yes I know, we love Goa too and that's why on:-

Our upcoming trip to Goa we are flying Qatar again but instead of going from Manchester which is far more local we fly from Gatwick as we saved £250 on the flight price when booked.( Paying £450 each versus £350 from M/C last year) Luckily there was an offer with Premier Inns at £29 per night right on the doorstep of the terminal. You quote the train ticket prices from Hereford as £130-£140 but if you try looking at http://ojp.nationalrail.co.uk/en/s/planjourney/query you will find that by booking in advance you can save a fortune. We have booked single tickets each way, 12 weeks in advance of travel and are paying a total of £60 for two people, including reserved seats, from North Wales. I save on the petrol and parking at Manchester which is roughly the same amount !
Haven't been on a train for years and looking forard to sitting back with a bottle of fizzy and starting the holiday in style !

Cheers for that Dave, its easy isnt it :)
I'll certainly have a look at your link to train information - I was horrified when I saw the prices quoted.
We pay 800rps per night for a large one bedroom apartment, no aircon admittedly, but very nicely furnished,tv, decent kitchen, kitchen and the place is spotlessly clean - its in an old Portugese house with beautiful gardens. Downside is no pool but a stones throw from the beach.
Have a lovely holiday :sun2
We did that March 2009 and it worked really well, booked 2 months in advance for cheap prices and got to Clapham Junction for £11.00 each then £5 each from Clapham Junction to Gatwick.

Fizzy, why didn't you book your tickets to Gatwick ? Ours, from N wales include the tube from Euston then the the train from the tube station to Gatwick.

It's often better to book singles rather than returns and, I hadn't realised until I heard something on the radio yesterday,if you get off the train at a different station you are liable for the standard fare..... that includes getting off earlier than the stated destination too !!!

Have a lovely holiday

You too Roxey ! Can we fail ???!!!!
Hi Dave,
Someone my hubby knows and who did that route regularly at the time recommended getting connection at Clapham Junction as it worked out a lot cheaper :tup The guy had done his homework and found this little ploy! We only booked a single as friends joined us in Goa so we drove back in their vehicle - another saving for us.

Trying to decide whats best to do next March now (although possibly won't now be going - not certain). Usually have one night hotel accommodation near Gatwick with parking, for 3 years we got away with only paying for 2 weeks parking (them not realising we had been away for 3 weeks :) ) But they are more savvy now :D
Fizz
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.