General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I meant to say i think this year has been a record.
funds permitting i might be booking 4 nights in either barcelona or rome in december its my 40th in january, so want to do something prior to that, had my summer hols in spain back on august 5th for 2 wks, but as a rule only one holiday a year,with money being tighter than usual defo one holiday next year, spain again in july, not booked it yet, the hotel isnt even in the brochure, so Il wait til end of xmas to book it..
I used to be more than happy with one 2 week holiday abroad in the summer but since the children have grown up and it's just the two of us, we found ourselves being able to afford a week away at Easter too. This has developed now into at least an extra weekend in this country with Tesco vouchers and a few days away over New Year- again not too far away. I'd love more but as I work in a school I have to pay top prices but I'm happy enough if I can get my 2 foreign hols in each year.
Like shirley we always used to be more than happy and appreciative of 2 weeks in the sun each year but now the children are getting older we have found ourselves (well me in particular :D ) obsessed with making the most out of the holiday time we have left with them to the point where I spend far more than we can really afford on them . A typical year now seems to be

1 week over easter somewhere Hot . Usually Egypt.
2 weeks in the sun over the summer
1 week , usually a cottage in this country in the Autumn

+ my new obsession city breaks for just my husband and me . He thinks I book far too many of these but I enjoy the challenge and thrill of a budget airline bargain (it keeps me amused) and typically we tend to do 1 or 2 weekends somewhere in this country and 2 sometimes 3 city breaks over Europe .

lyn
This year has been a week in Egypt in January, a week in Krakow in May, next week is a week in Turkey and then a week in Egypt in November. We used to always take 2 weeks in the summer and then a week or 2 weeks in October. Now are kids are grown up that has changed, and we tend to do holidays in single weeks to get more of them. I like to go with a friend sometimes without hubby,and taking single weeks makes that possible.

I like to have all inclusive and heat in Egypt when it's cold here, a city break doing things, and then something else, like my villa in Turkey holiday which will be a mix of relaxing and doing things. We will also have a few weekends away during the year, usually in Scotland though.

Remember the days when one holiday a year was saved up for, and there was no thought of getting 2 or more of them??!
We like to go abroad in February and October if we can abroad. We have those booked already for next year :D Then in August we have a four night break booked at Center Parcs :tup We also have weekends away up north to my dads, up to friends in Hertfordshire two or three times a year, and then to MIL whom lives in Cornwall. We always have some place where we can hole up :wave:
main holiday abroad in may, two weeks then a week in august at a friends caravan in seahouses. This year we are also having a short break in October at seahouses too.
it really depends on what the bank balance allows...we try to have at least 2 foreign breaks a year..one for a week and one maybe for 2 weeks. Time varies dependant on the work situation. Last year, we only had 2 weeks away in Thailand in March and then nowt until Jan this year when we went to Egypt diving. We then had a week in May in Gozo/Malta and finally, in December we are going back to Egypt. it just works out we had 3 this year. Next year we will be lucky for 2. its usually 2 one weekers.

We also have a few weekends away diving..St Abbs is a favourite at least 3 times a year, Seahouses/Farnes and Capernwray at the edge of the Lake District.
Depends on finances here, as we can only go at peak periods. This year we had 4 days in Chester - Feb, 1 week Morocco Easter, 2 weeks Kefalonia, and 2 nights Cardiff in August, and we have 4 days booked in London for the October half term. So far we have booked 2 weeks in Zakynthos for next August and will take the grandchildren to London in May. There will defintely be something booked for Easter when the Easy Jet flights are released. More than that who knows :que
A few years ago it was 2 or three for me. My record is 4 in one year, Orlando, Ibiza, skiing in France and a weekend in Barcelona. Thankfully I was younger then and my lovely parents forked out a fortune for me to experience so many places.

Now I'm lucky to manage one a year, maybe with a mini break in spring/autumn.
Really interesting reading about where everyone is going or hoping to go next year.
Up until a couple of years ago we rarely went abroad, so my excuse for havin g so many holidays this year is that we are making up for lost time :)
Got a few years yet before we're not tied to school holidays, and are able to go away as a couple, but we do manage a couple of weekends away a year withouth dd,- so not complaining. Thing i've discovered though is that the more holidays i go on the more i want to go on. They're blooming addictive , or maybe that's just me :D
I've had this little game going with myself and keep a list of all the contries I've visited in the hope of getting to 50 before I'm 50 . i'm still rather a little short :rofl . think I'm on 26 or maybe 27 now so not sure I'm going to manage the rest in the 3 years I have left . I'm going to give it a go though . :rofl

For anyone that want's to join me it has to be at least an overnight stop and you can count England/ireland/scotland/wales seperately as well as different greek/spanish islands etc.
That's good going Lyn - I am on 19, but in my head counting another 5 which I have visited (although not stayed overnight in) because otherwise it doesn't look like many :rofl

I am blaming my low total on multiple visits to some places (like 11 trips to Majorca and 6 to Tenerife). I obviously need more holidays to broaden my horizons!
Two :) And two day trips to France if that count :rofl I went on holiday in January and am going next month :)
the other answer could of course be...not enough!

I would like just 2 holidays a year..each one lasting approx 6 months at a time.
usually i only have one holiday a year, but this year im having three, my main holiday to greece in ocyober, a few days away in wales in november and hopefully i can get cheap flights out to Tenerife in december for xmas!
Lyn, I like your little game. I've been to 21 so far- next year won't help add any more because I'm revisiting mainland Spain for the 5th time and Zante for the 2nd time.

Edited - I forgot we'd been to Bulgaria so it's 22.
We try to do 3 foreign holidays every year. This year was Egypt in March for one week, two weeks in Ibiza in June and off to Gran Canaria for a week this month. Just love the feeling of getting the next one booked! Also like long weekends away in this country and have been to Torquay twice this year and planning a weekend in the Bournemouth area in October. However, these jaunts are also factfinding missions to find out where we want to retire to in 3 years time!!!
lynwestie wrote:
I've had this little game going with myself and keep a list of all the contries I've visited in the hope of getting to 50 before I'm 50 . i'm still rather a little short :rofl . think I'm on 26 or maybe 27 now so not sure I'm going to manage the rest in the 3 years I have left . I'm going to give it a go though . :rofl

For anyone that want's to join me it has to be at least an overnight stop and you can count England/ireland/scotland/wales seperately as well as different greek/spanish islands etc.

51 Countries if I count spanish and greek islands.41 without all of the islands. Will be 42/52 after next months holiday to Oman.
Some years I have 2 or 3 holidays anything between a week and 5 weeks each time. Other times only one with just 1 week away. A few short 2-3 day breaks though and at least 3 trips to the UK (though not really a holiday) each year.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.