General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
You don't say where you want ot go to but try http://www.hrs.com

They don't normally ask for any advance payment (you pay hotel whilst there) but some places want a card number to guarantee reservation. Cancellation terms are shown under the Prices tab for each hotel and are often free up to 48 hours before booked arrival.
My travel insurance is with Direct Travel Insurance. When I took out the annual policy, I asked about elderly parents, along the lines you mention. They said we would be covered for cancellation as long as they had not been diagnosed with a terminal illness. They said ' everybody has elderly relatives. We understand that..' or words to that effect. You might want to try them for your insurance and ask the question direct yourself.
I'm also with Direct Travel Insurance, asked the same question as mehmeh1 and got much the same response, as long we we don't know of any reason that we may have to cancel then it was fine.

Also, I think you can book with http://www.booking.com and pay on arrival.

luci :wave
Thanks about Direct Travel but they do not cover folk over 75 . Back to the drawing board .
Stanley, can you clarify if you are looking for a policy for your parents or one just for you which would cover cancellations etc in the event of their ill health?
Stanley - I think you or we are confused here. You yourself must surely be under 75 if you have parents in their 80s? It is your age that is important not your parents. Or are they travelling with you and you are looking for insurance for them too?
Can I clarify - my wife has elderly parents in their early 80s , they have various illnesses - not terminal . If I am correct you have to declare illnesses of people whom - although they will not be travelling with us - our travel plans depend . Again if I understand correctly we would not be covered for those illnesses when we took out a policy if we booked a holiday and then had to cancel if they were hospitalised .
Trust this makes it clearer and if anyone has any advice ........me/my wife are in our early 50s .

Stanley
I had to cancel a trip a few years ago when my 89year old father was rushed into hospital with a suspected heart attack, he suffered from various illnesses including respiratory, severe arthritis etc.etc. I claimed on my insurance and the insurance company refunded the cost of the trip to me. I travel extensively and on the last trip that I took before his death I talked to the insurance company and they told me that they accept that elderly people have health problems and as long as my father had not been diagnosed with a terminal illness or was waiting to go into hospital for consultation, investigation or treatment there would be no problems with my receiving cover and they weren't interested in any health problems that he suffered from.
Stanley in that case it is fine. You are young enough to take out a policy with Direct Travel Insurance. Your parents age is irrelevant. The 'under 75' applies to you not them.
I concur. I would suggest calling Direct Travel rather than trying to get an online quote as I found them very helpful.

I agree as well. I had to cancel a holiday when a week before we were due to depart an 81 year old died and a 78 year old had a stroke in the same week.

We cancelled on the basis of the death of the 81 year old and received a full refund (less excess) from our Insurance company, by completing a form and providing a copy of the death certificate. No pre-existings declared as just normal old age frailty existed at the time of booking.

We were in our late 40ties at the time. It was very straightforward, albeit distressing.
I got an e-mail from FlexiCover direct , - could be the difference is you folk had no pre-existing conditions .
My mother in law has hospitalised a week ago and will have ongoing consultations.

Flexicover policy will not cover any claims under section 6 (Cancellation, Curtailment & Trip Interruption) arising directly or indirectly from a pre-existing medical condition, known to you prior to the commencement of the period of Insurance, affecting any Close Relative, travelling companion who is not insured under this policy or person with whom you intend to stay whilst on your trip, if they had

1. during the 90 days immediately prior to the commencement of the period of insurance (unless for conditions covered by the aacepted conditions list criteria)

(a). required surgery, in patient treatment or hospital consultations or

(b). been taking (or should have been taking) more than one prescribed medication or have been prescribed new medication or change in medication, or undergone any treatment

2. if they were on a waiting list for, or had knowledge of the need for, surgery, in-patient treatment or investigation at any hospital or clinic at the commencement of the period of insurance or

3. if a terminal diagnosis had been received prior to the commencement of the period of insurance.
Stanley

You didn't say in your original post that your MIL had been hospitalised and was currently receiving treatment. That is completely different from having a pre-existing condition. I don't think you will find any policy that will cover you for that.

What we have been saying is that there are companies, such as Direct Travel in my case, that will cover elderly parents with pre-existing conditions providing there is currently no known reason why a trip should be cancelled. However I doubt even they would cover a condition which has required hospital treatment so recently.

My parents do indeed have pre-existing conditions, a list of them, but Direct Travel still offered cover.

I think your best bet is the company I linked to earlier, http://www.booking.com , who do not required pre-payment. However rqgarding flights, all I can suggest is booking at the last minute. If anything were to happen while you were away then you would have to get back at your own expense.

Stanley.
I'm sorry, I can't remember the name of the Ins. Company that I was insured with when I had to cancel my trip. The holiday was with Voyages Jules Verne and I think it was their insurance that I took. The company that I am insured with at the present is PAX but I know they probably wouldn't offer cover if a close relative was in hospital at the time I took out the policy and I had to cancel due to their death or serious illness.
In 2006 my Mother in Law was waiting to go into hospital for surgery so we couldn't risk taking a holiday out of the country as we knew we might have to cancel and the insurance wouldn't cover us, so we didn't have a holiday abroad that year.
Judith
What would happen if you already had insurance in place when they were diagnosed or hospitalised . Would you have to declare it ??

lyn
Normally if an illness occurs after you have taken out the insurance policy you are covered, so I don't believe you are obligated to inform the Ins.company, though I believe it's probably best to give them a ring. This is the same for the policy holder, a cousin of mine was recently diagnosed with blood clots on his lungs, he rang his insurance company as he had a holiday booked and wanted to know what would happen if he had to cancel and was informed that provided he had been given the go ahead by his doctor he would be covered as he had taken out the policy before being taken ill, but after the period of insurance expired he may be charged a much higher excess or be refused cover for future holidays.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.