Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
The last time we went (Aug 05), we were half-board in a studio apartment. Obviously breakfasts and evening meals were already paid for and I went to the supermarket for supplies to make sandwiches for lunch most days and also filled the fridge with lots of cheap pop, wine and beer from the supermarket, so our daytime expenses were quite minimal really.
Our evening expenses (drinks etc) were usually around 30-50 euros per night for myself and 2 teenagers depending on how long we were out for (sometimes we'd have an early night, sometimes we'd be rolling back around 2am...)
We didn't get any buses or taxis anywhere but we booked some reasonably priced excursions with a local agent which were much cheaper than the ones from the hotel reps.
Although it's possible to do it on a budget if you choose to, I wouldn't say day-to-day holiday expenses in Tenerife are going to be any different from what you'd spend going out at home, it's just a much nicer place to spend your money :D
Mrs and I will be taking 100 euro per day as a budget, with back up available via hole in the wall.
But I'll be astonished if we need to use back up.
To be honest though we are not site seers as we've been to Tenerife many times and never use taxi's or buses.

will let you know how we got on when we get back.
sorry to say but me wife and 15yr old kid managed to spend £1900 2 years ago we do smoke and drink every night but both are quite cheap so dont really know were it all went i dont mind as its our holiday and to be fair we live like kings for the 2 weeks last year we were all inc and still managed to spend £900 again cant work out how who said us scots are tight ha ha ha
On my site, a recent poll suggests that the average spend was for £400 per person per week. This is when on a self catering board basis.
Last time we went, ( me, Rob and teenage boy) to LC..we were S/C and in 1 week we spent just under £1000. This included hiring a car for 3 days, all excursions, food, drink and various presents and a taxi back to the airport on the way home again.
anyone reading £1900 - 400pppw and £1000 pw

Dont panic

you can have a very good holiday for a lot less.

Will post details of all expenses when we return for those without unlimited funds.
it was our choice to spend that amount of money. I don't feel that tenerife is any more expensive than other places. We generally spend more than that on most holidays wherever we go...that is our choice and basically, we save up to have a splurge on holiday...
I agree that Tenerife can be done on a budget...but we go on holiday to spend excessively and have a good time without worrying about how our budget is going to shape up.
Hi

I have been going self catering for the last 15 years or so,last October went for two weeks and spent around £750,we only stayed in a couple of nights.

This is about my average when in Tenerife.

Daveyboy

:glynis
well said val and rob i agree with what u say yes you can do it on a lot cheaper than £1900 etc but were the same save all year then live like kings for 2 weeks
Have to say, we normally spend around £1,500 self catering. That includes all our food, drink, cigs and bits that we bring home. However; car hire and special bits that we buy (i.e. Christmas pressies for the kids as this is the time of year we normally go) are NOT included in this. This year the extras came to almost £1,000. Well, we do always hire a decent car and this year the 15 years old boy wanted a digital camera with printer etc. so as he is now older we bought a decent one that should last for many many years and the 17 year old daughter wanted MP4 player, handbag, perfume and other bits and pieces.

I know some people are on a budget when they go on holiday but for me personally I would rather holiday every other year so that I could have more spends and not be restricted to what I can do or buy. Our kids have always known that our holidays are the only time they can ask for something (within reason) and get it.
I have been at least 15 times to tenerife always self catering or B&B once or twice and generally i would say the spend per person would be between £350 and £450 per person per week. However we do not cut any corners or worry about expense. I do enough of that the other 48 weeks per year at home without doing it on my holiday. If my partner and I were a little short for cash I could quite easily have a thoroughly enjoyable holiday with £600 between us. Obviously that would limit excursions but having done most of the better ones it wouldnt be a problem. If we were Half Board (and I never would be) then the figure would be lower again as the meals would be provided but in reality I would rather save on the price of the holiday and use the balance on my own meals which are infinitely nicer than any hotel I have stayed in and available in abundance all over town. We are going again in July this year Mum Dad 13 and 1 year old child. I will expect to spend £2000 - £2300 over the fortnight. A fair bit will be spent on taxis as we are staying in Gran Hotel Costa Adeje and my partner has arthritis and is a little less mobile than we would like.
As a family of 2 adults and 1 child we spent on our christmas and new year holiday of 14 nights about £1500.00 we ate out everynight and done quite a bit of partying. I find that the prices are now similiar to that at home averaging £40.00 for our main meal and about £6.00 for a round of drinks. :)
hi all when we went in october 06 there was me the wife and 2 kids aged 4 +5
and we spent £2600 s/c for 2 weeks but we done everything and bought everything and had a car start to finish
we had a great time loved every moment
As a family of 4 i try and budget £100 per day, but saying that i normally buy last minute things on the card. I have to agree with several other posts, and i dont save hard all year to worry about what I am spending. Life is for living. I am off to Vegas in July and have saved £2000 already and I am not finished yet.
I was ther in Feb and spent £400 that included giving my dad 80euros towards a leather jacket, and I spent at least a 130 euros on rubbish, plus I brought home pressies was ate out twice a day, and had a ball, we stayed in the colon 11 apts and found that eating out and drinks etc was cheaper there than 2 years ago when we stayed further round beside the marie nostrum resort. We went to Salou last June and I thought my money went a lot further this time.
we normally got for two weeks self catering Two people.I reckon we usually spend about £800. We don't skimp but don' to 'cocktails' as they are a rip off to me! Mind I am an ex hotel/bar worker.
We've just come back and spend just under £1000 in 2 weeks and that was s/c

That was for 2 of us, and we drink proper drinks ie smirnoff vodka and schwepps tonic.

hubby also drinks guinness which is expensive over there.
We managed on £450 each (2 of us) self catering for 14 days...although some gifts were paid for my credit card, but only about £60 or so....

We must be really good with our money - or just tight!
right next question is is most money spent on drink or food

I take it for granted that transport excursions are a minor part of most peoples budget

Just trying to discover where most peoples priorities lie
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.