Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
We spent less than £1000 and stayed 30 nights. Didn't do many taxis and shared them where we could on longer trips. Brought few souvenirs but ate and drank very well !
Wow.. that's amazing! I will expect to eat like a queen then!
Haymans
we work on £30 per day between 2 of us.

That's bottles of water and a couple of beers on the beach, lunch & drinks, sometimes a couple of G&Ts watching the sunset, and evening meals & drinks.

You might spend a bit more if you eat steaks, tiger prawns or lobster every night.

We spent less than £1000 in 3 weeks, I bought 3 leather bags, some silver jewellery and we spent 8000 rupees (£115 approx) on a 3 day trip to Hampi.

We don't take taxis, we either walk to and from our hotel or take the local bus.

During 3 weeks in Goa we spend less than half on food & drink in than we do during 2 weeks in Greece or Turkey.
Thanks PrettyPollyCat, that's really helpful. I could tell my husband and let him be happy that we won't be spending much... or I could just spend the rest on jewellery ;)
We average £50 a day, but this includes our bike hire and taxis at night time, we usually have money left on our return home .
Haymans
the silver jewellery is really nice. You can either get traditional Indian designs, Tibetan designs (there's the Tibetan market in Calangute) or comtemporary designs.
If you do go to the Tibetan marker (in Calangute, as you walk down towards the beach, there's the Tibetan market, on the right hand side, just after you cross the road to Baga. It's a bit hidden away but it's immediately before a cleared plot of land where buses are parked.)
They have lots of stalls selling some really nice silver jewellery.

Don't go on Fridays (they are all at Mapusa market), Wednesdays (they're at Anjuna) or late afternoon Saturday (they pack up early to go to the night markets).

Most jewellery shops sell gold and silver, I bought a delicate pair of silver earrings set with 2 garnets for £7, my next-door-neighbour loved them.

You can get stuff set with turquoise, lapis, coral, rose quartz, labradorite etc.

I've had some really nice pieces made from gold, it is cheaper than at home and you can design whatever you fancy and they're not fazed.

If you're buying handbags do check out the quality, some of the stitching can be a bit 'iffy'.
Fake Jimmy Choo, Prada, Chloe, MiuMiu etc can be bought anywhere BUT when we were there late Nov there had been a crack-down by some of the original designers and one shop that I sometimes pop into has stopped selling ‘obvious' fakes with tags/labels on but still does some lovely designs in excellent quality leather.

Be wary when buying spices.
I asked the price of black pepper on a stall going down to the beach from the Health Centre in Candolim and was told "3 rupee for 1 gram" - which sounds cheap.
I thought about it for a minute then said, "That's over £4 for 100 grams. I can buy it much cheaper than that in the UK" (Tesco charge £3.05 for 275 gram).
He went intio his 'I can give better price' spiel but I said 'I do not do business with people who start the price too high'.
Every day after that he tried to get me to buy but I just shook my head, I hate it when somebody starts with a stupid price - and I won't even start bargaining.
we took 2 grand but came home with over thirteen hundred. and that was with all meals drinks (soft drinks and pots of tea) 3 trips, taxi,s, hubbie bought me 9 dresses that cost less than £15 pound for all 9. leather handbag gifts for my girls and 3 grandkids, plus 3 .000 cigs, think he bought himself 2 of them long white shirt things, or may be i did cant remember :) :) as hubbie says you cant give your money away over there, hope he says that in nov when we go back as ive seen a few things id like, might just have to get him on a good day to go shopping :)
might just have to get him on a good day to go shopping

I'd not bother, Tammie.

Just do like I do - leave him in a bar while I go round the Tibetan Market or get ready for the evening earlier, arrange to meet him somewhere later and just browse the shops along the way.

I find he just cramps my style (not to mention my pocket). :rofl He does come in handy to carry the shopping back to the hotel though.
you joking leave him behind, last time i left him behind, well rather he went out 1 sunday afternoon here at home said ill be an hour yea he was a hour came back with a 42 inch tv, then told me befor i went to bed . oh see that cooker and fridge freezer you liked at the shop yesterday , well there being delivered 2 tomorrow. no i like him coming with me to be honest cos he stops at shops and looks at things then says aint that nice, if i say yea he says do you want it , then goes and buys it :) me i just walk past lots of shops unless somthing has really caught my eye.

and like u say hes good for carrying the bags , am glad he dont read these posts or im in real trouble ;)
well if you ever get fed up with him tammie, send him my way ;) My hubby stops to look at stuff HE likes (usually wrist watches) but can I ever get him to stop and look at something I like? You must be joking :( (He's the same in the UK)
Fizz
Been here in candolim for nearly a week and spend all day in the shack with food, beers and soft drinks etc. Then out for the night to a decent restaurant, drinks etc. and including massages, t shirts, safety deposit box and mini bar bill in the room plus cigs for the missus we have spent about £200.

Strangely, it's less than we normally spend over here!
Back in 2003 used to spend around £22.00 per day between hubbie and self - ah the good old days - but this did not include jewellery / gifts / trip to opticians / dentist etc which my hubbie and I buy out of our own money but during last couple of visits has gone up to £30.00 - be interesting to see what we spend this year as last year we were going at end of season and the volcano hit us - so we ended up in Egypt instead - not for me - but that is another story!!!
Not really sure what we spend per day on average but we usually come home with money to go back in the pot for next time. I think for a 3 week visit we usually take around £800. I have been to Goa on my own for a 2 week visit and only spent £200.

We don't do the tourist trips now or buy many souvenirs either so mainly our money goes on food, drinks and taxi's and we live as well as we want to when we are there - it is the one place we have been to where we have never felt we are likely to run out of cash.

On return from Tenerife many years ago we had nothing left to even buy a meal/snack at the airport and could only afford 1 coca-cola between the 3 of us :D ...................Never had this problem returning from Goa though.

Fizz
On return from Tenerife many years ago we had nothing left to even buy a meal/snack at the airport and could only afford 1 coca-cola between the 3 of us :D ...................Never had this problem returning from Goa though.

Not surprising Fizzy, the catering outlet at Diabolical airport is so poor the pastie I bought went straight in to the bin ;) ;)
I know what you mean Dave AND to add insult to injury, like any airport, rip off prices too :D
:wave: The oh and myself average £70 between the 2 of us every 3 days last year and that was food,drink and we went out every night and didnt do without a thing hope this helps :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.