EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Sorry, but I don't think you have any chance at all.
I can't imagine a bar, hotel owner or farmer being prepared to accommodate a family of five when there are so many other potential workers around that would not need such consideration.
Perhaps if you were single, on a 'gap year' and prepared to sleep on someone's floor"¦"¦"¦?
I would agree. And if you are thinking about summer then there is no chance. There will be loads of students out there just now.What would your 3 children be doing all day and most of the night when their parents are working?
You said "starting a new life". Perhaps you need to start planning for this and not just go out in the hope of some bar work. Many bars fail remember so its probably not the best thing to pin hopes on. Have you a skill you can take there? Why not one of you go over there for a few days to where ever you are thinking of- have a look at the job situations( try the agencies, look in the papers etc),find out going rates and then look at accomodation costs. Next- what about schooling? You really need to have the finance in position as well. You may not want to sell in the Uk right away and rent for a while. But if accomodation costs seem to be the major issue right now then you'll need to get your heads together to solve that one.
During your planning if you can't speak the language- learn it.
In the meantime, there are expats here who could help with any practical advice you need.
Finally, if you really are desperate to see what its like and you can't do it any other way then what about one of you going over for the summer and trying the bar work? You may decide then that that is not what you really want-or of course you may love it!
Hi Travelcrazy
I have for one moved overseas, stayed 3 years then came home last year,
why? the cost of living eg school fees, uniforms,books Doctors fees(€50 per visit, €85 per month for perscription) House Rent €1300 per month NOT includung utilities.
my husband and I were both in good jobs, but it is a different culture no matter where you go. Also, My husband had the job and relocation all set up from the U.K before moving. if you must do this my advice is if you have a trade then look in Monster.co.uk for work overseas there is also other web sites too.
If you own your home keep it on and let it out for 6 - 12 months, that way if things dont go according to plan, you have a home to come back to.
Also keep a U.K Bank account open with a little money in it, as its easier than trying to open a new one again.
Best of luck
too many people think it is easy just to get up and start a new life in Spain,most returm back to the UK skint.i know of one family that done it last year,so far they are ok,but they sold everything in the UK to do it.if you have a family i personally think it is crazy.as someone has already said,visit first,have a look around on the job situation,and accomadation prices,and go from there.we all wish it was easy but it is not.
some of us havebought to rent,hoping for retirement in spain or at least several mths of the year.i,m sorry no one has been posative ,but it is true facts and that is what you asked for.good luck in your search,let us know how you get off.
Strange advice Fiona.

Are you seriously suggesting that there is somewhere in Europe where the cost of living is higher than the UK, or are you just upset that the population of your 'overseas' country did not subscribe to a system that would educate and clothe your children, as well as pay for your unfortunate ill health?

€1,300 is a little steep for rent, maybe you should have shopped around.

Of course it is a different culture"¦ generally that is what people are looking for when they leave the UK; but by your use of the terms 'overseas' and 'home' it would appear that you never really made the move anyway.
oly daze
Maybe you misuderstand (or being arrogant)
I lived over there for 3 Years :tdown

At least I have given it a try, so I can talk from the experience of it, as referring to your remark, I did NOT look for any state to keep me or my child and I worked, also my husband and paid taxes to the country and did not even claim child benefit from it.
At least I 'm not bitter and twisted and in my advice!
Hello,

I don't believe that I am being arrogant, but I do believe that you are mistaken in your advice (rather than bitter and twisted).

You complain about a high cost of living in Spain after you chose to rent a property at €1,300 a month (excluding bills), and to send your child(ren) to private school as well as consult a private doctor when the need arose. The reality is that the cost of living here is far lower than the UK, and if you lived here for 3 years you would be well aware of that.

I have direct experience of the private schooling system here and in the UK. I pay in the region of €5,000 a year for my son, compared to the £3,500 a term that I paid in the UK. Uniforms here consist of a track suit which is worn most of the year, and a shirt and trousers in the school colors which are worn at other times. There is an initial outlay for a uniform and books, but this can be offset (if necessary) by buying from the parents of older children, and selling to the younger ones. The amount that I pay in school fees here would not cover the annual cost of his uniform and obligatory school trips in the UK.

If you are working and paying into the system you are entitled to consult a doctor free of charge, and if you are prepared to pay €1,300 a month in rent then I will be more than happy to evict tenants from one of my properties and move you in, I would even include the utility bills!.

There is a difference in culture here, the Spanish defend their traditions rather than give them up for fear of upsetting some minority group or other. Record numbers of people from the UK relocated here last year; the majority of them will no doubt embrace the culture and be content. The minority, (who no doubt will state that one of the reasons for leaving the UK was because of the prevalence of scroungers), will be returning, upset that could not claim unemployment benefit, disability payments, single parents allowance, free prescriptions, free schooling etc.

Don't get me wrong .I understand that you did not make any demands from the Spanish system yourself, and that you were prepared to work; but your lifestyle was somewhat extravagant (perhaps unavoidably so), and you could perhaps have dramatically reduced your cost of living, even to the extent that returning to the UK would not have been such an attractive proposition.
Fiona,

We are at cross purposes here, and without wishing to upset you further, it is entirely your fault.

It was natural for me (and others, I suspect), to assume that when you are replying to a question about starting a life in Spain, that your personal experiences should be related to living in Spain yourself. However, after reading the 2 private messages that you sent me, I have to say that you have confused the issue by bringing up your experiences and the cost of living in the Republic of Ireland, which frankly, is irrelevant.

I am sorry that things did not work out for you in Ireland and perhaps you are better off where you are, maybe if somebody starts a thread about living in Ireland your insight would be appreciated.
i thought this was a post for advise on living in Spain?
:roll: I am on another forum that deals with people who come and go .some people think life is the same as a holiday and it is far from it.
you have to have a buisness mind,and knowledge of bars etc,as so many fail,as well as progress.Life is not the same as the UK,no one is there to bail you out.Pay your bills or by by.We should be more like the spanish people,no scroungers allowed.the question asked was
would there be jobs for hubby and wife with kids?,there could be with a lot of serching,but accomadation you normally find yourself.
we all have different advise as at some point or other have had things to deal with,but the kids would need private education to get into Spanish culture quickly.my friend has been through it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.