General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
I too have a bag especially for adaptors, it's a smallish zip bag (think originally it was a shoe polish set bag). In it go ipod, phone, kindle adaptors plus my travel plugs. I call it my electrical bag.

Then I have a see-through plastic zip bag for sun lotions.

Then I have my toiletry bag.

Then - make up bag

Then - my medicine bag.

So the suitcase is full of various bags nowadays.

Unlike many years ago when me and my boyfriend at the time, toured the Greek Isles for a month with a rucksack each. In that was a sleeping bag, roll mat, few clothes, towel etc. Not an electrical item or tablet in sight :rofl
How things change - another one here carring more meds than a small brach of Boots.

But I noticed going in a the tray thing today, a mutitude of eletricals, a laptop, a portable DVD player, selection of DVD"s, a kindle, 3 IPods, various mobiles, a selecion of chargers that get mixed up, and smaoe GHD's

What happened to just a towel and a bottle of suncream. :que happy Days
;) son has one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Power-Traveller-Monkey-Universal-Charger/dp/B000JUBTYC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1312730126&sr=8-1 ...different connectors etc that fit everything that needs to be charged...plus the Power Monkey holds extra charge in itself so if you can't get near a power point to charge something - you plug it into the Power Monkey. :( or something like that! :rofl
I've emailed OH that link- I am sure it would be very handy for someone who knows what they are doing- not me :rofl
:rofl :rofl

I might even get one! :rofl (as long as son explains what I've got to do! LOL!)
beach towels( every hotel seems to provide nowadays)

I can identify with a lot of the changes mentioned, but definitely not the above!
I have never stayed anywhere that provided them, but then again I only go to small basic studio/rooms/hotels, I would hate to be in the larger beach or AI hotels that are more likely to have them. They would also be fairly redundant as I spend little time on the beach, in fact on the last 7 holidays I spent only one (half)day on the beach, apart from a couple of walks along the sand!
I have to agree the biggest change is electricals, yes, the music side of things used to take up room, with walkmans (cassettes, then cds), but we don't take any music any more. Now it's chargers for mobiles, camera & sometimes my laptop goes too.
We have been to basic hotels as well- that provide towels( probably not as fluffy as the big hotels though!)
Don't get me wrong, not that basic, all places I've stayed provide towels, just not beach/pool ones! That is still quite rare in Greece & the ordinary ones aren't meant to be taken from the room.
I've only recently graduated from a CD player (and half a ton of CD's!) to an mp3. Luckily, it's supposed to be charged up from the USB port, but I spotted a charger that plugs straight in to socket (or adaptor) @ 2 for £10 at ASDA. Bloody handy. As for books, I get them from my hospital shop, read them on holiday, and then leave them for other people.
I think the biggest change for me is I used to take a bottle of pop with me through customs!!! :)
Seriously, it used to be a cassette player and tapes, I even remember taking one of those waterproof bed overlays when my daughter was little so she wouldn't wet the matress!!! That must have taken up half the case! Also a dispossable potty!

Infact I remember going away one year and as we didn't have that much money I seem to recall we took about 15 pot noodles with us! :)
Used to take far too many pairs of shoes and not as many bottles of suntan lotion as I do now. Oh yeah, reels of film for the camera and batteries for the flash.

I also used to have a stereo, tapes and big old heavy batteries to put in it!

Am I the only one who takes zero electrical items with them? The only chargers I need are phone and camera.

I still take books and can't imagine have a kindle or suchlike. It would get all grubby with sand and lotion wouldn't it?
Am I the only one who takes zero electrical items with them? The only chargers I need are phone and camera.

What do they run on? Tap water? ;)
i always take an iron, has anyone got any ideas so that i dont need to pack one, those travel irons are rubbish!!
buy linen clothes or the rinkley kind you just scrunch up and wear, both are stylish if rinkled (unlike me) haha xphx
When you have a shower, hang that evenings clothes on a hanger in the bathroom and the steam will help them uncrease a bit!
hang that evenings clothes on a hanger in the bathroom and the steam will help them uncrease a bit

:think I wonder if that would work on Mrs Kiltie :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.