General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Fiona, I had to laugh at the bikini :rofl I too remember packing an itsy bitsy teeny weeny one now it's an all in one that covers a multi-tude of tums. I still do take books I like the idea of a kindle and will probably get one at some stage, but I still love the feel and smell of a book (odd I know). ;)
Not odd at all Miss Pink - although I like the idea of a kindle - I love handling books, preferably paperbacks :que
Helen T wrote:
Not odd at all Miss Pink - although I like the idea of a kindle - I love handling books, preferably paperbacks :que

oh well Helen, everyone to their own :rofl As long as it makes you happy! You see that's the thing about getting older. Now its paperbacks, then it was?????
We didn't have time nor the inclination to read when we were younger :cheers :pele :omg :glynis ;)
ahh- just remembered what we used to pack
hangover cures!!
I pack headache tablets too still, but not for hangovers anymore :D
Fiona wrote:
ahh- just remembered what we used to pack hangover cures!!

I still pack them............just always seem to bring them back home with me though :que

The main one I've noticed as I've got older is that I now take a medicine bag with plasters, bandages, bite cream, calamine, savlon, surgical tape, etc, etc. whereas when I was younger I took nothing more than a pack of paracetemol. The anomoly with this is that I'm way less likely to injure myself now than when was in teens/twenties :que
phildo74 wrote:

I still pack them............just always seem to bring them back home with me though :que

The main one I've noticed as I've got older is that I now take a medicine bag with plasters, bandages, bite cream, calamine, savlon, surgical tape, etc, etc. whereas when I was younger I took nothing more than a pack of paracetemol. The anomoly with this is that I'm way less likely to injure myself now than when was in teens/twenties :que

How true :rofl
19 year old son just back from Ibiza - he took Ibruprfen and Pro plus. :rofl
Me - Have more in my 'medical bag' than the local chemist............... :rofl
The anomoly with this is that I'm way less likely to injure myself now than when was in teens/twenties

So not like my Dad then! I too now take half of Boots with me in a first aid kit and it came in handy for patching him up when he went over the handlebars of the mountain bike in Cairngorm (age 73 that time - I remember because it was part of celebrating Mum and Dad's Golden Wedding anniversary). Good job we also had a spare pair of glasses for him with us or he wouldn't have been able to see his way off the hill. Was glad we had the kit too when he hit his head on the boom when sailing off Fife (circa his 78th birthday). And also when he slipped down the mountain on La Gomera (age 80) - at least the replacement hip held strong.

I could go on - the perils of a going on holidays with a senior who is still 17 inside his head but I wouldn't change him for the world! He and my brother are currently planning a trip to the Lakes or Snowdonia to re-do some of the rock climbs they did in the past before they BOTH get too old. I hope that Prince William and his rescue chopper will be on stand-by - they might be needed. :D

sM
Your dad sounds an absolute darling Sma, and good fun to be around, but your heart must be in your mouth every time he leaves the apartment :yikes ;)
That's why we never let him out on his own these days! My Mum's parting shot as she waves us off is always 'Don't let your Father do anything stupid'. When he went over the handlebars, the youngest granddaughter spoke for us all when she and I caught up with him and her first words on seeing him were 'What are we going to tell Nana?' because she knew immediately that this fitted the definition of having let him do something stupid. :rofl

It's their Diamond Wedding Anniversary later this year and we'll be celebrating at Hogmanay at a big 3 day family houseparty (60+ of us) in Melrose in the Scottish borders and which will no doubt also end up involving something 'stupid' - anyone for ceilidh dancing as a high impact contact sport? :think

SM
How times have changed and what I don't take now
Terry nappies
Disposable ones later ( they were unavailable in Spain)
All the garb for a baby
Pushchair
A child
Far too many clothes
A camera

Now I take
Enough drugs to start my own pharmacy
A nearly 70 year old child
A mobile phone
MP3 player
Camcorder
Camera
Less clothes

Sanji
A nearly 70 year old child

Bet you've never told Dave that at the end of a night out :rofl
He and my brother are currently planning a trip to the Lakes or Snowdoni

My dad is 75 in December, and would love to go back to Snowdonia - luckily for us he just wants to travel on the railway :rofl
Fiona wrote:

Things I pack now that I didn't before(because they weren't invented!)
mobile phone
laptop
kindle
ipod

A guy i work with is only 21 and i was telling him that i was getting an ipad for my birthday and we got talking about ipods because i think they're fantastic, he asked why i was so amazed by the ipod and i told him that about 15 years ago i had the sony walkman (which was really good back then) and used to take a bag full of cassettes with me on holiday, he just couldn't comprehend the idea of doing this , we now have more technically advanced gadgets we take with us on holiday but it hasn't lessened the load because of all the adaptors and chargers!!!
Fiona
hangover cures!!

RESOLVE rings a bell. I'm sure I've still got sachets here that are around 10 years old :que
They've almost been to as many places as me!
Andy
yes all the adapters and chargers are a pest. they end up getting intertwined and I never remember which goes with which gadget :)
We have each adapter in a small zip bag (food bags) with description written on the bag "Andys ipod" "Andys Camera Charger" etc these are all then placed a big see through zip bag like you use for toiletries , my missus is very well organised like this , i then use them on holiday and don't put them back immediately after use , which sort of messes up the system, but at least they're all in one place!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.