Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Also they're in their mid 60's would you say Playa Del Ingles is suitable for them

In my opinion I wouldn't say it was suitable, they would be better off with Maspalomas, Amadores or Puerto Mogan the latter being the best. I think and I am sure some members will correct me if I am wrong, that Gran Canaria doesn't suffer as badly with winds as Lanzarote and Fuerteventura.

Sarah
We spend May in GC every year.
Never had a cold one yet. Always very pleasant however the east coast does get a little more windy that round in the Puerto Rico area
Hiya there. I would defo recommend Puerto Mogan or Amadores as they are quieter resorts.
These resorts are also warmer than Masplomas and Playa De Ingles. It can be 5-8c warmer in the South West of the island.
I have been to all of the islands in April/May time and GC is defo warmer than the rest. THe South East is protected by the dunes on the west coast, hence not as windy. Infact, it might be too hot for your parents! Seen it to be 37C on the beach at Amadores in May.
We are going 26th April for 10 days and personally I hope it is that hot!!
Hope that they enjoy their holiday and dont hestitate to ask for more advice.
We are on our first visit to Gran Canaria in May, staying in Puerto Rico but I'm hoping it won't be as hot as 37C! :tongue Anywhere between mid-to-high 20's Celsius would be ideal though. :sun2
Robbo,

It is likely to be a little bit warmer that that.
Normally we find it averages around 30 C
;) Hi we are going to Puerto Rico in May this year and have been told it is likley to be at least 26 minimum. We went to Fuerteventura in May 2006 and yeah it did have a wind but it was still really warm there. I too have been told that it is in a shelterd part of the island and that puerto rico does not have the same wind problem.
Puerto Rico is very sheltered. have been five times, Been as early as February and have always had good weather, even on an evening.
During the winter months it can get "cool" and alot of afternoons get a little cloudy. But by April/May time the temps are perfect, warm but not sweltering and the nights warm enough for short sleeves but not opressive. Really dont suffer with the wind on the south coast, if it does get breezy it gets warmer too! BUt generally we are in a great location down here :cheers
Been to Gran Canaria 20 times over the past 10 years and never had bad weather. We only do winter months;Oct-May. Even last Christmas it was 22-25C.
I have taken pix of the temps when we have been on PR beach as at home they think its 22c when actually its read 10-15C higher than that on the beach! That has been on various trips to PR over the years in most winter months.
It was very warm when we were there last November too. There was no breeze at all and we could not sleep. There was a Calima for a few days too, which made it even warmer.
I would say that Lanzarote is windier than Fuerteventura! At least it has been when I have been there. In fact, Feb 2004 I was there for 2 weeks and it did not get above 19C for the fortnight! It rained, flooded and was very windy. Had to buy coats and jeans and macs! It was the year that it snowed on some parts of the Canaries and there was flooding in Gran Canaria.
I loved Fuerteventura and it is my 2nd fav island of the Canaries. Have not yet visited the smaller islands but its on the list of places to visit soon!
Hi everyone - thanks for your replies!

They have booked the Maspalomas & Tabaiba Princess Hotel in May so fingers crossed they'll like it, it'll be nice'n'sunny and not much wind about. Mum's been wanting to go for a few years and fancies a change from Tenerife so I hope they enjoy it.
Just got back after spending 12 days in Puerto Rico. The weather was excellent and averaged between 27-30 celsius in the shade most days although it also reached 32c on a couple of days. We were in an apartment higher up the valley and a nice afternoon breeze kept us from overheating. I got my best tan ever and will be looking to book the same time next year as well. We also liked the long daylight hours you get in May too, as it doesn't get dark until 9pm.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.