Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
I'm Scared!
8 Posts
A simple no thankyou "la shokran" should be ok

As for tipping in english 50p or £1 coin should be ok and if its for a case then 50p/£1 each case.
* If you do not have any change do not bother giving tips. There is no necessity to rain tips down on the airport staff or anyone else for that matter from the moment your feet touch Egyptian soil. Give a tip if you have received a good service - not for the sake of it.

* 99.5 % certain it will be safe and shall arrive at your hotel with you. On rare occasions a suitcase may get offloaded at the wrong hotel but then it always is found and given to the rightful owner.

* "Get Lost"
got to agree with swiss ,i have never felt so safe anywhere ,you will be fine just take it all with a pinch of salt and enjoy your holiday
Give a tip if you have received a good service - not for the sake of it.

Best bit of advice I heard in yonks!

The coach driver at the airport held his hand our for a tip after just placing my case in his coach! He didnt get one!

I felt really safe and had no problems with the Egyptians...great place, great people.

My only bit of advice would be ENJOY ENJOY AND ENJOY.

:D
I have been to Egypt 5 times and so far have never had to tip at the airport....is there anything to tip for there? you can buy a trolley for your cases, but that said if you have wheelie suitcases it isnt far to the english coaches. You will be met at the airport after receiving the luggage by a company looking after you because reps for security cannot go in the the airport, they will give you the number for the bus you are travelling in.

Visas, if you are going out of the Sinai eg, Cairo, Luxor etc you will need to go in line and buy a visa, if, however you do not want a visa, still stay in the same line and just say to the guys at the desk Sinai only. You will get a stamp saying Sinai on your passport. If you haven't decided at that point whether you want to go outside the Sinai or not on trips as it is your first time, then dont worry, English tour reps can and will get you a visa stamp in resort in your hotel for the same place, so long as you give them 24 hours notice to do it.

This year when travelling via thomson/portland the bus driver wouldnt even place our suitcases in the luggage compartment! everyone had to do it, i certainly wouldnt pay them anyway, we were told not to as they are waged quite highly for doing nothing but drive.

In shops you want to look in, thats easy, go in when other shoppers are in there, they cannot see to everyone, most shops have virtually the same products in them. Avoid their gaze as well as saying a polite no thank you. July i got some hassle but August hardly any. August was a packed month. Be-careful near bazaars that is where a chemist is, the perfume shop is there and we had a bad experience, but now i have learned not to go in. Of course you may get some shop keepers wanting you to 'sign' everything lol, dont do it, you will be in for a long chat and lots of scolding mint tea.

Have a lovely time, dont worry :wink:

Michelle x
Hi Jenny

See my post at the end of THIS topic :wink:

Pippy :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.