Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
could anyone give me and my family any information regarding Pattaya, i.e best places to eat, places to drink with some athmosphere barring in mind we will be taking our 15yr old son.

best places to do shopping for handbags, designer clothes.

Is there anywhere that sells good mobile phones but not too expensive, i.e how much would a Iphone cost in thailand

thank you
Not a family holliday by far, stay away from walking street and alot of the soi's with your kids. BKK would have been better for a family holiday i.e for shopping ect
Got to agree I'm afraid. Pattaya is probably the worst resort in Thailand. We've been to Thailand 4 times in all now, just arrived home today from Phuket, which is our favourite, then Samui, then Hua Hin, then Bangkok (which we did along with Samui), then Pattaya.
Basically Pattaya revolves totally around Walking Street, there are other areas with bars and restaurants dotted around but Walking Street is all bars and restaurants. It's the sleaziest place you will ever go to with really young girls being used to tout outside bars, an endless stream of overweight, ageing men walking hand in hand with 16-18 year old thai girls.....and I may be being generous with those girls ages, I really don't want to put you off but I also want to be honest with you and say it how it is.
The sea around Pattaya is highly polluted, they have a sewer pipe that dumps raw sewage out into the sea just off the coast so some of it comes back in and there are all sorts of things floating in the sea. The beach promenade is a little 'dodgy' at night with some unsavoury characters hanging about there, just be sensible when walking around anywhere near there. The Thai people themselves are fantastic, they really are but the whole place revolves around the sex trade and even for someone as liberal minded as myself, it gets to you after a while.
As far as shopping goes, there are little shops and stalls dotted around where you can get fake designer stuff and souvenirs, when you barter, look to knock them down a minimum of 50% from their starting price, and aim to get 60-70% off it.
We stayed at the Sheraton up the top of the hill when we were there and I have to say it's one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, absolutely superb.
If you haven't actually booked Pattaya yet, I would advise reconsidering. If you have already booked it, don't panic, you can still have a great time, great food, cheap, lovely people......just try to go with a really open mind and don't get too dragged down by the sleaze.

TC
TC
would love to hear how you got on!
aws
Have you booked Pattaya or just considering it?
No probs Fiona, will do a report shortly when I have some energy :rofl

TC ;)
thanks everyone for your information

we have already booked to to to pattaya and leave next week, we are open minded, but it sounds like we will just have to find places where we can just go and relax, im sure there will be some where we will beable to go. thanx
If your going to Pattaya you must have a meal at Cabbages and Condoms. It's a lovely restaurant in a magical setting. From memory when you get transport it's near the Asia Hotel.

The restaurant is part of the Birds and Bees hotel.

http://www.cabbagesandcondoms.co.th/Restaurant/Restaurant.asp

Cheers Geri
come on there must be some one out there that can give me some information. please, please, please :sun2
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.