Thailand Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Thailand.
Have been to both resorts...Cha'am especially the Regent will be quite a bit quieter than Pattaya. Its a nice hotel...although when I visited it was a resort on its own...the beaches are not the greatest in Thailand but no worse than Penang for example. I liked Cha'am even though theres not much going on.

Pattaya very lively resort, if the sex industry side of things bothers you then pick a hotel out of the centre. Have to say I hated the place and could not wait to get out but many love it...just too busy for me. Plenty of bars restaurants and clubs.

Whats your budget and when you going you might be able to get a bit further afield doing DIY. Eating out is extremly cheap especially if you eat where the locals do.
My girlfriend was leaning more to Cha Am, to be honest we're quiet people anyway, we were just worrying that there might not be enough to see/do in Cha Am, though I don't like the idea of a noisy resort so pattaya could be off the list, did you like Cha Am personally?

Well we have been quoted 1400 (for both of us) for these holidays, which to me sounds extremely good, though I have never been this far a field on my own so, it could be a complete rip off, but it does sound good!
Cha Am is very quiet, you might be better to go a few miles further on to Hua Hin
THe actual resort of Ch'am gets a bit livlier at weekends as its a popular place for Bangkok residents. There's a long strand of beach with local restaurants and hotels lining it. Having said this the Regent is not part of the resort but is set on it own compound...big resort with a lot of facilities..Saga Holidays used to go there (might still do!). That might indicate its maybe just bit too quiet for you young ones :)

As Judith says Hua Hin may be a better bet...a larger town the beach is a bit better..lots more choice of things to do. If thats your budget then you may be able to do better depending on season.
What are the main differences between Cha Am and Hua Hin? The only problem being the holiday we're looking at is kind of a package deal so to speak!!
Basically Hua Hin is a larger town than Cha'am, has been considered a resort for a long time as the Thai Royal family used to holiday there and built a summer palace. As they are only twenty minutes drive apart many people lump them together. Hua Hin has a good night market,shopping, golf courses, loads of restaurants and bars and some swish hotels.
Ah so do you not reccomend Cha Am, as I said the main reason i'm interested in going to Cha Am, is because it is a good deal with bangkok included, hua hin was a lot more expensive, unless you think I can match the price of the holiday I got in some other way?!
It depends - when are you thinking of going? I have seen good deals to Hua Hin in the past (£660pp to Bangkok Marriott and Anantara Hua Hin for example a couple of summers ago on a 3nt/10nt split with direct flights on EVA).

If Cha'am is a bit quiet you can always do trips out...Petchaburi is nearby with King Mongkuts summer palace perched on a hill. The River Kwai can also be done as a full day trip. Hua Hin is near enough for trips out in the evening.
Well I have heard the best months are between January and March so this is where I would aim to go!!

I will have a look at that option!! So Cha Am, is it a nice place? Is it just that there is more to do in Hua Hin? How far apart are the two? And how much would a taxi/bus cost?
I think it is about 12 - 14 Km from Cha Am to Hua Hin, I stayed at the Regent in Cha Am a few years ago. A nice Hotel, very quiet in large grounds with lots of restaurants. The hotel ran a shuttle bus into Hua Hin a few times every day, I can't remember the price but it wasn't a lot, we used it quite a few times as we found Hua Hin livelier at night.
It's not that I don't recommend Cha'am...its a nice place. If your just doing 6 nights than maybe the quietness is not an issue. You've picked the best time to go weatherwise, so price wise the deal your getting for the season sounds OK.

So travel wise you could be considering Phuket or Krabi or even Khao Lak as a beach destination as well, much better beaches than Cha'am...and a wide choice of resort styles from busy to quiet.

Just to give you a feel we did Phuket 5nts Krabi 6nts Bangkok 3nts this Feb/March for £675 in good 3star/4star properties B&B inc flights and private transfers that was DIY and we did get a good price for the international flights.
I would agree Rich you should always try and tailor Thailand Holidays around End Nov to March to be sure of excellent weather.
I have been during our Summer and the weather was Pants.

I go regualrly to Thailand with my wife and daughter mostly to Pattaya and always book independently, always try and do this yourself the price quoted appears dear, but if its a package.

I paid for Pattaya in Jan this year for 11 nights all in £1500 but that was for 3 of us.

Budget £400-450 PP flight Transfer from airport about £20. Hotel rooms about £20 per night.

For anyone who is intersted there is a great deal at the moment from Manchester Airport departing 31/12 to 14/1 end of this year £350 pp with Etihad, just trying to pursuade the Wife to travel on NYE not keen :(
Have stayed at the Regent at Cha Am and the Dusit at Pattaya. I would recommend Pattaya for the more lively and interesting holiday. If you have never seen the sexy ways of the Far East, it is an education and far from sleazy. I found it more amusing and if you don't like it, just walk away. There are some good shows and it is very colourful. Lots to see and do in Pattaya. Just ask other hotel guests for suggestions/advice. Avoid the elephant show!!

At the Regent, my wife and I always used the hotel shuttle bus into Hua Hin for 150 Bhats each. Drops you off and picks you up. Never went into Cha Am village as Hua Hin I considered the better place. Lots of market stalls and restaurants, but it was the same every night. You will not be disappointed with either destination. There is more to laugh at in Pattaya seeing the "Ky-ties" (boys dressed as women).

Once you've seen it, that is it. Next year go to the other destination. My wife is aged 57 and she wasn't offended in the slightest.
hi. we've done a travel collection - hong kong 3nts, bangkok 3nts then regent cha am 7nights. it was a few years ago and cost £750 so expect it's dearer now.
Cha am will be just the place you are looking for. It's quite, you won't get hassled. The hotel is nice and directly outside there are a few bars, restauraunts on the beach selling cheap good food.
You get a taxi from outside the hotel into Hua Hin which costs about a £1 when we were there, it's only a 5min ride away. There are more bars etc & markets in Hua Hin and it's so easy to get around. I would definitly suggest staying in Cha Am & going into Hua Hin if you want to in the evenings.
The beach in Cha Am was good don't know why people say it's not?
This march we went to Koi Samui for 2 weeks. Phoned around & got deal for £730. Had a really good time , went on the ferry to Ko Pang Yan 7 stayed in beach bungalow for a few nights. Loads to do so why not look at going here.
I looked on teletext and then phoned up a few and got them to give me price for a package. Would suggest stay in Bangkok 1st for 2/3 nights before going on somewhere as you'll need the rest after!!!
my friends went to Pattaya and hated it - sex sex sex!!!!!!! they didn't feel very comfortable at all and they are quite open minded.
We've been to Cha Am for the last couple of years for the end part of our holiday...as has been said, it's the ideal place for relaxation and it's very easy to get to Hua Hin either by the Regent shuttle bus (last bus back is at 10pm) or by one of the local taxis in the rank outside the Regent. There are about a dozen restaurants in the village outside the Regent (few minutes walk away) and plenty more in Hua Hin. Massage, pedicure and manicure available on the beach (much cheaper than in the hotel, and just as good). I'd go back any time!! :D
Hello there Goafan.
We go to goa alot and would like to know which holiday you prefer,thailand or goa never been to thailand but read the far east forum all the while.
We stay in candolim in goa are there any similarities between the two.
I have stayed at the Regent Cha-Am several times. The first being some 20 years ago when it was the only hotel on that particular stretch of beach, up to 2 years ago.

The standard rooms are clean and comfortable, but avoid getting one overlooking the gardens as the birds are incredibly noisy in the afternoons and early evenings. There are also rooms overlooking the car park, which should be avoided. The best rooms look over the pool.

There is no point in opting for half board or bed and breakfast. The hotel food is very expensive, and not very authentic. A better option would be to visit Nee's Restaurant for breakfast (and the occasional evening meal). If you come out of the hotel and walk left, her restaurant is the first you will find, about 400 meters away. A good breakfast will cost about 70 Baht (£1).

On the way to Nee's you will undoubtedly meet some taxi drivers. These guys will be more than happy to advise you on excursions .don't forget to haggle on the price!

Drinks in the hotel are an arm and a leg, compared to bars outside"¦"¦avoid!

The beach outside the hotel is not particularly pleasant. It is generally not used for sunbathing, but this is unimportant as the hotel has a very nice (and big) pool. On the beach there are plenty of places to eat, have a Thai massage (for 150 Baht the hotel charges 600!), or to buy fake designer clothes.
If you get the urge to have a drink while lying round the pool, walk twenty yards to the left (while facing the sea) to the small bar adjacent to the hotel, and buy your drinks at a third of the price.

Outside the hotel there are plenty of tailors who will be willing to knock you up some clothes. I have found that the best thing to do is take one or two items that fit you well and let the tailors copy them in the fabric of your choice.
There is also an optician where you can get very cheap prescription glasses made.

You friendly taxi driver will take you the 15 minutes to Hua-Hin, and pick you up at a time that suits you rather than rely on the hotel mini bus.
There are some very good sea food restaurants overlooking the harbor, and some very poor ones elsewhere. Either take advice from you taxi driver where best to eat, or find somewhere that is busy with locals.

The market is a permanent feature of Hua-Hin, but if you are looking for dodgy watches, they are few and far between nowadays (compared with 10 years ago). A good starting point when haggling for anything is a third of the price asked.

Have a good holiday, and post back if you would like further info.
hi
i think you should go to the regent or pick a hotel in hua hin its quiet and there is plenty of trips to do and a good little market, i went to pattaya once and found it awfull , not a good intro to thailand at all
We've just booked 14 nights in the Dusit Resort in Pattaya in March for £813 which is a really good price (including flights with Etihad)

Flights are costing £500+ direct to Bangkok at the moment.

We went to Bangkok and Koh Samui a couple of years ago, really enjoyed Chaweng which has a decent bit of nightlife. The beauty of the Dusit is not only is it a good hotel (judging by the excellent reviews I've read) but it's out of Pattaya a bit so you get the peace during the day and the excellent nightlife of a night. We love people watching in a bar so we can't wait!!

TC
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.