Spain - Balearics - Menorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Menorca.
Insects
9 Posts
Well as you will see from previous posts of mine I flew out there last year on the 30th September and the mossies normally love me but I think I got bitten about three times...and to be honest I don't know if I saw a wasp. But it did continually rain so perhaps they all went into hiding or perhaps they just drowned!!
Anyway am going back on the 25th Sept this year might see you there!
I would take your repellants just in case but don't think it will be too bad for you.....Gill
we have been in July and my tasty flesh is usually attacked as soon as I arrive, but not a nibble in Menorca-watch out for the army of ants though who claim every crumb you drop :lol:
Thanks for that, Jaybel, Gilly where are you staying? Viv
In cala galdana....are you flying from Stanstead?
And yes I forgot about the ants if you are self catering make sure you keep your kitchen clean...You will have a lovely time I'm sure, the island is beautiful....Gill
Just got back from Cala Blanes...

Mozzies - my husband got 2 nasty bites after an evening of sitting outside one evening thats it.

Wasps - hmmm there were a few wasps but they certainly aren't like UK wasps that seem intent on revenge for a couple of hours and continue dive bombing you until they've stung you. All it took was a wave of your hand and they were gone.

Ants - Not a problem at all until I stupidly threw a 1cm crumb in our bin. The next morning there was a line of hundreds of ants from the bin, across the floor and up a door frame - oops!
we are going half board, so hopefullywe will leave no crumbs anywhere, and now that I know about the ants will be extre carefull.Thanks. Will put a report on about Son Bou on our return. Viv :)
Jilly, forgot to add that we fly from Manchester.
There is not really much stagnent water in menorca so the mossie count is low, they love a bit of still water!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.