General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
:rofl :rofl

Lyn you do make me laugh that was one of the funniest things I have read on here in ages. LOL.

When my son was 9 months we were on a deserted-ish beach in the north of Lanza, like the good Mum I was I covered him from head to toe in very thick sun cream and he just crawled off (well he would woudnt he!) I never knew sand could get in so many places, we had to go back to the apartment which was on the other side of the Island of course. LOL.

Also re trying to eat out just like you did before and trying to pretend nothing has changed. I remember standing outside a beautiful restaurant in Mojacar looking at it and crying because I thought I would never be able to eat in somewhere lovely again. But then as you know I am a bit hysterical sometimes.

I was always worried they would drown so mine were the kids in the arm bands and the rubber ring which I was always checking for punctures. :shock: :oops:

I agree the balarics are a good choice.

Chris :D
chris :rofl The essential must have for any toddler lucky enough to have parents that are willing to take him/her on a lazing round the pool sunny climate holiday is a set of permantly attached arm bands , even when not in the pool as you can be damm sure they will never be very far away from it. :wink: . At least then they wont drown . that is the only one important piece of advise I can give. One of the most hair raising holidays we took when our children were young was a "family" including nans, grandads aunties nieces/nephews holiday to the algarve ( wont do family ever again either :D )where we rented 2 villas next door to each other complete with their own unfenced of course swimming pools. one morning we all decided to head to the local fish market and we were all busy getting ready. there was only my niece waiting outside ready when my eldest son then about 2 ( i had got the children dressed ready first) decided he would have a wander outside . I was suddenly alerted by my niece screaming . :yikes I ran outside to see my sons head bob up and then go down again in the deep end of the swimming pool followed closely behind by my teenage niece diving in fully clothed to save him from drowning . I can sort of laugh about it now and I try to block it from my mind and just try to remember the sight of them both emerging from the pool fully clothed with their shoes filled with water. but god forbid what the circumstances would of been had she not seen him because I hadn realized he was even outside. We have never again rented a villa and now always prefer plenty of people around

lyn
That must have been so scary for you lyn!

Well i'm even more confused what to don now, than i was before :lol: i thought this thread would help me! I am lucky enough to have a really content baby (so far!) so hopefully that would make it easier. There's just so many conflicting views and i can see both points of views. hmmm what should i do aaaaargggghhhh!
Just get it booked, Daisy. Your Mum will be very disappointed if you don't! :wink:
I agree with Rosemary :D Just book it. I hope Lyn and I didn't put you off it was just light hearted banter but shows the sorts of things you need to be aware of, perhaps even learn from others mistakes.

I have absolutely no regrets whatsoever and would do it all again in a flash. It creates lots of memories and my kids love looking at the 1000's of photos we have from the pre-school holidays we took and so do I.

Where are you thinking of going?
No you never put me off at all! Yeah my mum would be very dissapointed if we didnt go. She's wanting to pay for it to so more the reason for going :lol: Just thinking of going somewhere short haul like spain etc. Gone are the days of the caribbean :cry:
She's wanting to pay for it to so more the reason for going

Well, I know having grandchildren is the very best thing in the whole world - but I hope my daughter doesn't read this!! :yikes
I agree Daisy . get it booked . 7 months old willl be a breeze . She will be Just sitting up and constantly smiling yet still have a sleep or 2 during the day . Perfect . any older and you have the crawling baby in the sand nightmare :D + the added bonus of your mum paying and Yes chris and I were just having a light hearted moment . Its easy for us now we just have teenagers to worry about :yikes
ps Chris . I would never describe you as hysterical . just a lot more sensible than me :rofl
I wouldnt hesitate to take a baby on holiday. I have to agree with lynwestie that it is/was easier taking our daughter on holiday abroad when she was younger than when she got a bit older, even if she didnt have a luggage allowance. Babies and toddlers are so easy to please.

This year our daughter was almost 4 years old when we went and she was a nightmare at times. We did realise quite early on this year that she really didnt like the beach. I think, because I have a fear of her getting lost or wandering into the sea, she was quite restricted on where she could freely go and didnt like it. Once we positioned ourselves around the pool - arm bands and rubber ring secured tightly :D - she was a happy child. We got her to have a nap around 4.30/5.00 each day because she was so worn out from all the swimming and playing, which meant that we could all stay out later in the evening. Still managed to get her in bed by 10.00pm though so we could enjoy a drink on the balcony!

Go for it. It will either be brilliant and you will look forward to the next time, or terrible and you wont return for many years. My money is on the former.

Sarah :)
Daisy, I agree with the others, just get it booked you'll have a great time and with 3 adults to one baby you should manage to relax a little!

Its easy for us now we just have teenagers to worry about

So do I and we've just had our first full week's holiday without him - now that's what I call not being able to relax!!!
Think its just an excuse for my mum to go on holiday roseweb :lol: but i'm not complaining :D Was talking to my mum today about the holiday and were going to start looking next week. Getting excited already. My mum has already bought little swimming costumes for my daughter, they're so cute!!
Really pleased you've decided to go ahead and take the plunge. Your Mom sounds as if she's really excited! I'm sure you'll have a great time and the holiday will leave you all with memories you can treasure for ever. Let us know where you decide to go. (Somewhere like Menorca/Majorca would be my recommendation, nice short flight and very child/baby friendly).

Best Wishes

Nic
Hi,

I've never had a baby and only been involved in taking older kids on holiday so can't offer advice from direct experience re the baby's needs but can offer advice with regards to multi-generation family holidays. And the best advice I can offer is to make sure that everybody knows what they want from the holiday and ensure that these are compatible. I have been and still do go holiday with my parents, my brother and his family as well as with wider extended family groups (up to 50+ people for one memorable Hogmanay houseparty!) and they only work if everybody lays their cards on the table before we go and makes it clear exactly what they want from the holiday and we establish the mutual expectations and ground rules before we even depart. And those that have really worked best are those where everybody knows that nobody expects us all to live in each others' pockets for the duration (so literal and emotional space is really important) and that everybody can take some 'me' time at some point, where everybody feels that their needs are being met in part and nobody is left feeling martyred (or takes on the martyr's role) because they've spent the whole holiday fitting in with other people's plans and never got to do any of the things that they want to do.

It could be great for you to have a ready made babysitter on tap but do check with your Mum first that she is prepared to do this. A friend of mine has only ever been on holiday once with her son and his family because she soon realised that she'd been invited in the expectation that she would babysit most evenings so that son and daughter-in-law could continue to have the same sort of holiday that they'd always had pre-babies without this ever being discussed in those terms with her. She found it really difficult once they were there to put her foot down and say that she wanted more from the holiday than spending most evenings on her own in the villa with only the sleeping grandkids for company. Her daughter-in-law resented this and my friend resented the fact that she was supposed to feel grateful that they'd asked her to go on holiday with them. Instead she's actually come away with our lot instead and we've had a good mix of me and her getting some grown-up time to ourselves away from the kids and equally us being more than happy in return to take the kids swimming, leaving my parents and/or my brother and his partner to have a bit of down-time. And now that the kids are older and so are we, we all go out together for dinner and are all ready for bed at around the same time :-) I can see the time fast approaching when my nieces will see the 'wrinklies' safely off to bed before they hit the town on their own!

Evenings tend to be a bigger bone of contention than the daytime so before you go, sit down with your Mum and talk about and agree what will happen. You've lots of suggestions here as to how you can manage bed-times, the pros and cons of putting your baby in her buggy and taking her out with you for dinner etc and whether you will or won't take it in turns to babysit etc, because whilst your Mum probably wouldn't want to go out for dinner on her own or just with your husband while you babysit, she might really appreciate the offer from him to babysit on a couple of evenings so that she and you can go out together and have a real, baby-free mother-and-daughter chinwag over a meal and a few drinks.

In a sentence, before you go, sit down and talk through what you all expect of each other and what you each want to do, rather than just assume that you will all want the same things from this holiday. Get that right and the practicalities of taking a young baby away will be a doddle :-)

SM
Thanks SMa, we've been on holiday a few times with my mum now so we all know what each other likes/dislikes although there was always more people with us so will be slightly different.
My grandson is now 2 and already he has been to Egypt twice, Cuba and Mexico as well as numerous UK "caravan park" holidays. He's loved all of it and not been any trouble beyond being a normal little one. I had 5 youngsters so not "joining in" but just prowling and watching became a way of holiday life.
My youngest learnt to swim as a toddler off a springboard. Bit of a panic when following the splash there were just 2 armbands on the surface, but as I was watching, I was with him in the water straight away. One problem now with the blame culture is that many people do not constantly watch their kids and then complain vociferously that it is someone else's fault when something goes wrong.
It is all a case of risk management and having the rest of the family along to help out is ideal, but whoever is taking responsibility has to do so until they pass it on. It is very easy to assume that the closest person is watching when they may not be.

Apart from that you could always do the Caribbean, most of the firms only charge a low fee on the lines of £60 for the fortnight up until the age of 2. Egypt was about £30 for the week. Fly to the Caribbean with FC or Thomson and there is plenty of room although flying to Egypt was a bit jammed as the seats are much closer to each other.
Early last year we offered to take one of our sons , his wife and our 3 grandchildren (aged 7,4 and 12months) on holiday to Turkey. As the time for the holiday approached, my husband and I started to worry if we had done the right thing - the flight was quite long, the weather might be too hot, the kiddies may not like the food, etc etc - but everything was wonderful.!!! The children loved Turkey ( and the Turkish loved them). They loved the flight, the food, the beach,the weather - everything!. Little Ella, then just one year old, honestly never cried once the whole time we were there.! Can't wait to repeat the experience in May this year!!!!

I'd say going abroad with a little one is really easy, especially as your Mum is going too!! And if she enjoys her holiday with her little grandaughter as much as I did, she will have a wonderful time.... Denny
Just to update you all, went to the travel agents yesterday to have a look at some offers and guess what?...............
It was closed due to staff shortage :cry: :cry: :cry:
Have to wait till next week now :bawl
do your research here daisy on where you want to go and hotel . do plenty of research ,it pays off and its much more fun and you will probably save your mum some money too :D I havnt set foot in a travel agent in years unless its to collect more brochures but I dont even do that as much now .

come and spend some time with us . we will help you.

lyn
thanks lyn, have been searching the net but most are coming up outside my budget. (or should i say my mums!) Can you recommend me any good sites? ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.