Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
Hi Shell - despite Tunisia being a Muslim country, many of the people working in the tourist industry drink alcohol and most will certainly be most appreciative of your bottle. I would however, wait a day or so to see how the situation is, as a practicing Muslim may not appreciate your bringing alcohol to the hotel to give to fellow Muslims. Once you have established who your waiter is, you can discreetly ask him if he drinks whisky. He won't be shy of telling you if he does!!! On the subject of whisky, if you have been told the story of a tourist swapping a bottle of whisky for a lovely leather coat, forget it. I have heard the story so many times but never met any tourist or shopkeeper who has actually carried out the transaction! All best - Jenny x
If they dont drink Whisky,they will sell it,its never been refused off us.
Jenny I have also been told the story about a leather jacket, Its a load of old cobblers lol
Well its packed in the case now, I shall do what you said and wait to see who our waiter is.
we are heading off at 3am in the morning :)
yes why not.???........people are always thankful for your thoughts.
An other topic on the same subject with a lot of input, it seems as if it is not really done very much now.

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=111329&hilit=whisky

If you do remember and take a nice bottle of Scotch WHISKY, non of that other stuff with an E ;)
It is definately worthwhile taking the whiskey, We have been a couple of times to Tunisia, once we gave the bottle to the man behind the bar after the first week, he really worked hard and always had a smile on his face, nothing was ever too much trouble for him. He was truly overwhelmed when we gave it to him, the look on his face was unbelievable.
I'm certainly with you there Debbie. Although the days of getting a leather jacket or something similar are long gone (if they ever existed) a bottle of whisky does certainly oil the wheels and makes a nice gift or tip. I've never had one refused and indeed often been asked for one. :lol: It can also be useful if you aren't happy with your room and want it changed - go straight to the front desk (omitting the usual hassle with your rep even if you have one) with the whisky in your hand, and watch how eager they will be to satisfy you. Incidentally just remember that Kiltman-Graham is a Scot so is just possibly a little biased - I doubt the Tunisians would turn their noses up at the Irish amber nectar. :rofl
Always worked for us,gave the head waiter a bottle,and get a nice table,and got a bottle of water and bowl of fruit in our room every day,works wonders!!I will also add that it was a half bottle,dont want to spoil it and go over the top !! for everyone.
Kiltman-Graham is a Scot so is just possibly a little biased

ME a little biased :think absolutely.

shellbarlow

Did you take your whisk(e)y ? who did you give it too and what happened ?

Graham
Definately worth taking!! I bought a couple of half bottles of good stuff in duty free on the way out and they came in very handy! The staff we gave them to were overwhelmed with them and the service we got from everyone after was brilliant!!

eee
;)
Well we took a botle of whiskey, didnt give to to anyone untill we had been there a few days and noticed which waiters where the most helpfull and were always there when we needed them.
so on our 3rd day we handed this nice bottle of whiskey to a waiter and he was so grateful !!! he treated us like kings and queens !!! he was really lovely so I would say its deffo worth taking a bottle.
Africa is a very poor country so I think they would be grateful for anything you offer really, lovely place and very lovely people.
I've just come off the phone to the Royal Beach hotel in Sousse as I wanted to confirm they had my booking. The man I spoke to asked if I came from England, then told me his name and asked outright if I could take him out a bottle of whisky which he said he would pay me for. I laughed and said if he made sure I had a nice room I'd give him a bottle of whisky. It's a good job I don't drink whisky out there, as with one bottle for this man and probably another for the waiter there won't be any duty-free left for me. :rofl
Just to confirm, the bottle of whisky worked and I had a nice room with balcony and sea view, which would have cost me a lot more if I'd booked it through Alpha Rooms. I was told that as soon as I'd come off the phone I was allocated that room. :wink:
we had excellent beach front rooms all for a bottle of whiskey :cheers
Aww thats brilliant !! a little appreciation goes a long way !! x
I remember when I started this thread. I wish I could turn back time and go back to my holiday :cry
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.