Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
I doubt very much that Rico is finished for the Brits. It has been quiet this year and number of bars and restaurants are shutting but there are still plenty of busy bars, including the one im back working in. Prices in the bar 1 barcadi coke 1 local beer 5e ( 2 of each would be 8). I get bacon from a shop in the centre and pay 2.50 for 6/7 slices. 1.20 for milk, 1.40 for my fizzy pop. Its a shame that the weather and the prices have put you off, but with Ryanair, easyjet, and jet2 coming into gran canaria the winter should be decent and next summer normality should return.
its not the weather NEIL, anything but (even though it drizzled Saturday & Sunday) its the prices and lack of atmosphere.
Tiffanys, Donald, Covent Garden Pub, Harleys, 007, Tropicana Bar, Dicey Reilly´s Irish Bar,,The Hoops, plus many others looked dead.
I meant to ask DANNY who runs the Covent Garden Pub, Harleys, 007,how things were going, but forgot :(

the pubs I drink in at home I get a beer & vodka & sprite for £3.90 or even a double vodka + pint for £5.20 (named not local) this is why I think the drink prices are dear now, mind I was in the €8.00 bars (sometimes & sometimes M & M) :que

you stay there, you know which supermarkets are cheaper than others, I'm only on holiday and don't want to go trekking supermarkets to find the cheapest I'm just like everyone else looking for a fair price.
the prices came from my hotel & Hiperdino near SAN MIGUEL restaurant.

I think the prices in most restaurants are well up would you agree !

finally what happened to the likes of TOP CATS at the beach and the underground places, even bubbles hamburger place on the beach.
Generally i dont eat in the centre, but i've not reallt seen anyone changing menus/prices. If anything some seem to be getting cheaper and cheaper, especially breakfasts. The Hiperdino in the middle is probably the most expensive of the 4 in the centre and myself and other locals are always willing to give tips and suggestions for people to save money.

The bars along the front of the beach were closed a while back in order to give it a revamp...still waiting ..but then its taken them 7 years to build the shell of a car park...
7 years to build the shell of a car park..

NEIL I was told the rear at the crows nest bar was suppose to be getting changed to be the front of the centre, making the likes of the mau mau the rear :duh
Living on the island now for a number of years I can say that the majority of places on the island have DECREASED their prices over the last 6 months or so and put special offers on. I eat out alot (4-5 times a week) in different parts of the island from Las Palmas right the way down to Puerto Mogan - The problem is the pound is so weak which of course makes things much more expensive. Hopefully the pound will start to get stronger over the next 6 months or so.
majority of places on the island have DECREASED their prices over the last 6 months or so and put special offers on.

sorry cj but I don't believe the "majority" have done this.
I'm only talking about PUERTO RICO AND THE "majority" OF PRICES IN RESTAURANTS ARE UP :(
Well to be fair it wasn't a question. I was stating a fact and alot have put special offers of the day on etc.
I only deal in facts to cj and in my original post I do mention "The prices are grim even allowing for the weak pound"!
when I say "high prices" this is not just something I came across this was others in the hotel & resort...are we all wrong :think
question..do you think €12.00 for a bottle of house wines cheap.
€12.00 for a sirloin steak, remembering "everything" like that was always cheaper in PUERTO RICO than the UK and "was" for all the years I've went there. :que :que
I'm most certainly don't think 12€ is an acceptable price for a house bottle, that does sound a rip off but whenever i've gone out to a restaurant anywhere on the island I think the most expensive I've paid was 8€ I've never seen any at 12€ for house wine if thats true then that is way overpriced. I was in Puerto Rico lastnight actually and went for a meal and myself and my partner had a bottle of wine a starter each and a main course each and it came to 24€ which I thought was very good. Almost all of the bars and restaurants had special offers on too but I do concede that 12€ for a bottle of house wine or Sirloin steak is excessive. The key is looking around for the best deals ok you are on your holidays but there are alot of people that are available to help you from your receptionists, people in bars etc they live here so ask them and you will find that you don't go to places that have these rip off prices.

Sorry for wandering off of topic.

Back to the original question "Is Puerto Rico finished for the Brits!". I think this will always be a resort which does attract the British however, I believe the resort will attract less and less each year. The reson I think this is now many people are changing their holidays types AI holidays are becoming more and more popular with the British all of the major British TO's now have stand alone brochures for All Inclusive because you have everything included and any money you take is for duty free etc so you don't have to budget working out how much money to take with you for each day etc. Puerto Rico however is home to lots of apartments and not too many hotels that can offer AI so for that reason I can see people transfering to other resorts on the island. But, we'll see....
CJ it was in the LAS BRASAS nothing wrong with the meal it was lovely, had eaten there before :)

have you heard about the push for the SCANDINAVIANS 30% more from next month :)
Working in the tourism industry I'm privvy to quite alot of information and the Scandi's are due to have a 15-20% increase from bookings thus far taken. Puerto Rico is often favoured by the Scandis in Winter time so to me it's nothing too unusual.

Las Brasas - Yes I know it and it is expensive deffo.
Garoe Restaurant Grill- Good value 3 course meal for 9.90 euros. We had Prawn Cocktail followed by grill chicken breast and ice cream. Service very good and the lady PR was lovely.

I posted this on another thread. I dont think this is expensive at all. On our two week stay in PR we paid from 24.50 euros to 42.50 euros for three people to eat (including drinks).
i have just got back yestarday, first time in gran canaria, and the last time aswell, most bars was selling the local beer "tropical" 4.50 euros a pint, 2.50/3.00 euros for a kiddies coke. you really have to shop about to get the price down, but why should you have to spend half your holiday time looking and walking about to not getting ripped, even my hotel/apartments wanted to give me 88 cents to the pound exchange rates.
well posted little legs this is exactly the point I was trying to make €4.50 for local drink (I would not pay that at home)...wow...that's what I was finding...again not in all the bars...you still have bars like M & M's.

strangely enough one of the mates just got back from LANZAROTE and we compared prices....and he was miles dearer...he too was a regular there but wont be going back for sometime :( :( :(
Hi,
I have been going to Puerto Rico for the last 15 years or so and I would say things have gotten obviously more expensive but so have things in Britain.In response to Littlelegs,I would argue that it is not most of the bars that are selling pints at 4/4.5 euros but only some.These bars that are selling pints at these prices have always sold drink at inflated prices and it is not something new.I have never bought a pint in PR for that kind of money and hopefully never will.As for prices in restaurants again it is like Britain where you can choose to eat in places where you get value for money or you can choose to eat in a fancy restaurant where you will be charged more.This is one of the reasons that PR is certainly not finished for the Brits as there are lots of places you can choose to eat/drink in which suit everyones pocket.
i know ive made a comment already about the costs. and this thread is reguarding PR, but i was in Playa del Ingles and i would say 8/10 bars was charging extreme prices (no entertainment) yes i agree with eating out you get what you pay for and there is still some good places to eat at a fair price. i think it is the bars that are taking the rest of us for a ride. one bar pulled me and my family in and stated it was "happy hour" charged the hubby 4 euro for a local pint!!!! i thought "Happy hour" for the bar owner not us.
You are quite correct littlelegs.We went to PDI 3 years ago and I can tell you that the price of drink was on average 1/2 euros more expensive than it is in PR.There are also not any bars that I saw that did pints for a euro etc.Another thing that annoyed me when we were there was that a lot of bars in PDI that did not display a price list and when you went to the bar they would tell you they would bring your drinks to the table and you then had to go back to the bar when you wanted to settle the bill.As you can imagine the prices were very high and put us off going back into them.
I was in puerto Rico in August,Pdi in Feb,I found puerto Rico reasonably priced!a lot of places doing meals for 5.95 euros,some of the bars doing 2 pints of larger for 4 euros or 2 spirits for 5,Pdi on the other hand I found drinks were more like London prices!
Well I just returned on 19th of September from PR andI have to say that I found the prices really good!!!, most places I drank were 1.50-2 euros a pint of San Miguel, or a euro or under for the cheaper Spanish beers (obviously approx a euro dearer after a certain time at venues that put entertainment on), food was also reasonably priced in my opinion. Also stayed at the Terrazamar but never drank there much as the Panorama was dire and I felt sorry for the people who had taken the all inclusive option and seemed obliged to stay to get their moneys worth. The resort though was incredibly quiet and I dont know how many bars can survive with so little custom, especially up the europa which at times was like a ghost town.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.