Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Jim, if my keyboard shorts out because of all the drool in it now, you'll be getting the bill!! http://bestsmileys.com/drooling/3.gif

Mark
When we go away, we avoid all places we can go to at home, ie, pizzaland, McDonalds etc. But saying that, sunday is sunday, and you have to have roast.

The only time we have anything like this is when we are at the airports waiting to go home.
Confession: We went to McDonalds in Paphos once.
OH THE SHAME OF IT!! http://bestsmileys.com/crying/2.gif

Mark
I've never been to Cyprus so I can't comment on the food but as I am planning a visit next autumn perhaps a Cyprus regular can tell me if the restaurants serve many vegetarian dishes, I don't eat meat and rarely eat fish (though I can't resist an occasional meal of F&C when I visit the UK) and normally in a Greek restauarant I don't have much of a choice. Is Cypriot food the same as Greek?
No it is not like Greek food, some aspects are similar but until you are here best to see for yourself, but it is meat orientated not many veggie places here..

You can get those fish&chips though...
Jimbox

Thanks for the info.
I have to admit I also found the food in Cyprus uninspiring (with the exception of the food in our hotel), kind of strange really as I do enjoy Greek food - maybe they do it better in Greece.
Perhaps you may have been better to hire a car and drive out to tavernas where the local eat, stay well away from the tourist areas and you will fine the fantastic food of Cyprus not that euro rubbish in your hotels..
Er we did get out and about in the hire car...and the food at the hotel was not euro rubbish, rather some of the best food I've had in a hotel anywhere.
I have to say that genuine Cyprus food is the best I've ever had and I'm particular about my food :D
and the food at the hotel was not euro rubbish, rather some of the best food I've had in a hotel anywhere.

Just because it suited your palate doesn't make it superior to anything else you ate. Everyones tastes are unique.

Mark
Just because it suited your palate doesn't make it superior to anything else you ate.

Surely it does - if on holiday I find the food in one place better than that I experienced elsewhere I'd go there to eat.
It is such a healthy way to eat, all that bbq'd meat, salads, and pitta bread, shame about the tzatziki though!!!

Then the greek youghurt smothered in honey for pudding!!!!
I love tzatkiki, I make it all the time. It's the best thing in Greek cooking along with the salads.
I think we should agree to differ, what somepeople think is superior another person will think is ordinary. What is the old saying one mans meat is another mans poison :evil:
I am looking forward to trying this wonderfull Cypriot food when I visit in the autumn. Though as a vegetarian I think I won't have a lot of choice.
Sunbear so you did hire a car but you failed to find good Cypriot food, this was a shame because hotel food even the five star Anassa cannot match really good well cooked Cypriot food,albeit posher!! it seems you prefer hotel or restaurant food I think you have missed out, next time you come over we can give you a list of decent village taverna food that will put that hotel stuff on the backburner...but of course this will depened on your up market taste. :lol:
Jimbox,
I think the chefs at the Elysium may beg to differ. And actually I prefer to eat in small local restaurants much like you do...its one of the main reasons I go on holiday.I was suprised by the food at the Elysium as usually I find hotel food a poor representation of a countries cuisine.

The rest of the restaurants I tried were OK but nothing special - nothing memorable. Sounds like there might be some nice chip shops though :)
I am sure they do but I am no food snob and I like very much Cypriot cooking not in restaurants but Tavernas there is a big difference, I have never liked hotel food I have always preferred local fair when in Cyprus and I think it a great shame many do not try harder when they visit us to find good local places to eat and of course the local fresh produce that is terrific here and not out of the hotel freezers...also it is a great way to meet the lovely Cypriot people not hotel waiters who usually come from the Eastern block or similar, the point of coming to this wonderful island surly is to meet the locals try the food and soak up the atmosphere of another country after all one hotel is the same as the other good or bad no matter what country you are in..

As for chips well I have had those :P

Kali nikta..
Sunbear, your post using only a partial quotation from mine takes it out of context. The second sentence, stating that everyones tastes are unique, I feel, says it all.
Perhaps your highly sofisticated palate finds hotel restaurant pap agreeable. No offence meant. I avoid hotel restaurants at all costs.

I repeat "Everyones tastes are unique."

Mark
That will be sophisticated :roll:

I've never eaten as well as I have in Cyprus the restaurants (even the tourist traps) are 99% excellent in my opinion.

However I also concede that some of the better 4/5 star hotels serve very good food by comparison to equivalents elsewhere in Europe. Perhaps that because some of the Cypriot hotels are true 4/5 star unlike elsewhere where the star ratings are a little if not a lot overrated :shock:

All in all there's some great food to be had in Cyprus regardless of where you partake in it :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.