General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
Israel?
8 Posts
What are you worried about? It's a lot safer than the media make out. Be as savvy as you would if visiting any major city (Barcelona is well-known for pickpockets, etc). Obviously I would avoid the Arab areas unless accompanied by a registered guide - definitely don't go alone. Tel Aviv really comes alive at night and Jerusalem speaks for itself.

We have been many times without any problems.

Just one comment, the country virtually shuts down from Friday late afternoon until Saturday evening for the Sabbath.

Feel free to ask any questions, can't promise to answer all of them, but will do my best. And if you do go, you won't regret it!
Well Babs, I suppose it's the outbreaks of violence that would most concern me. Things seem to have quietened down again but can flare up very quickly.
Is it an easy destination to do an independent trip/ get about in hire car etc or better to go with organised tour?
Violence can flare up anywhere, just look at what's happening in Northern Ireland for example. Israel is not a cheap destination but I would still tell anyone that it's worth a visit. Getting around is not a problem, public transport is very easy to negotiate and the railway system, although patchy, does work (bit like here really!) Hiring a car again is not the problem, but the driving is! They are all a little mad, a little impatient and love the sound of the horn (again, a bit like our major cities!). Driving outside of the major cities is perfectly fine. There is a transport system of mini-buses called Sherut, which are a bit like taxis, but charge the same as a bus would.

An organised tour is what it says. Five minutes here and five minutes there; however with a good guide you can see more than you would on your own. There are daytrips available, eg to Masada (fortress) and the Dead Sea. We've done this and were fortunate to have a guide who had helped at the archeological dig at Masada and he was terrific. Trips can be organised through the hotels. One of the more popular tours is that of the tunnels below the Western Wall in Jerusalem but these need to be booked in advance as they are extremely popular. There are free walking trips to be found in both Tel Aviv and Jaffa, as well as in Jerusalem; you just need to do your homework before you go. The internet really is a mine of information.

Feel free to ask any other questions. Incidentally, very few travel brochures offer Israel other than as a Holy Land Pilgrimage Tour. If this is not for you, you will have to pretty much book on-line. There are a couple of companies that do deal with Israel and they are Longwood Holidays and issta.com
Don't laugh too hard Babs but I actually live in Belfast! :D Thanks for your advice & help.
I do want to visit israel at some time but would definitely need to spend more time planning & getting it right especially after your post. And we're hoping to get away somewhere very soon so don't think it'll be this holiday. Probably not best time weather-wise either as I would like a bit of sun.

Thanks again .....maybe pick your brains some other time ;) ??
I visited Israel from a cruise ship April 2012....I loved it and would return any day....if you want to ask me any questions I'd be happy to answer them for you
Thx Tangobunny.....will do when have more definite plans :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.