Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
War in Israel
60 Posts
I think the security will be very good at this time and the trip will be as safe as any simply because of the war. If you want an alternative try the Gambia
They've been scrapping over that bit of land for 4000 years, since Abraham's day - and more seriously holidays to Sharm and even further north in the Gulf of Aqaba should be fine. It's quite a way north through the desert to Gaza, even flights into Taba are unlikely to see any problems.
I am more concerned about hostility to Brits if the civilian casualty rate continues like this weekend. I have been to SES a few times, even the year when there were terrorist bombings in SES. Security has been stepped up since then and I have always felt safe.
I just feel that this may be seen differently as after all they are all arabs.
I may just see how it pans out. Either it will get a lot worse and the FO will make recommendations or perhaps the UN will intervene. I will give it a couple of weeks to make a decision to change destinations. I don't really want to as there is no real aternative (price and travelling time) to SES.
We returned from Nuweiba last week. The day after the troubles kicked off again, my daughter and her friend still went on a trip to Eilat and everything was fine.
Hi
I am off to taba on tues 13th are we likely to encounter any problems?
:( Thanks for any help Tracy
I don't want to be sensationalist, but.
Taking a day trip to Eilat would not have been a problem. You are travelling to a wholly Israeli town.
Personally as I have already said will see how the war progresses and to see if the UN get involved. I (being a cynic) beleive that the Egyptian arab tolerate the Brits because we bring valuable tourism to the region. I don't think they would be so friendly if thousands of Palestinian civilians are killed.
In the past the Egyptians and their government have distanced themselves from arab politics. For that they have been held in contempt by their arab brothers. For that we can only be thankful as it has made it a safe holiday destination for us Brits.
I beleive that they did not get involved in political argument during Iraq / Kuwait conflict or recent Hamas shelings of S. Israel.
But as I am not too aux fait with those regional conflicts, I would have to guess that it is the first time in may years that the Israeli army have entered Gaza and that makes it different.
I for one will wait and see and would welcome other peoples feelings on safety and hostility especially those that are intending on holidaying soon.
My daughter and SIL are going to TAba for 2 weeks on the 20th of this month. To be honest I don't think they thought they were going to encounter any problems as they've only just booked.
Thanks helen T puts my mind at rest a bit! Just a bit worried as border to Israel is only 15mins away according to reviews?
Tracy :que
Hopeless with Geography but looking at the map shown on the news earlier, one of the trouble spots is right on the Israel/Egypt border. Now I'm not sure how far Taba is away from the border. That's what you need to find out I think.
http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travelling-and-living-overseas/travel-advice-by-country/middle-east-north-africa/egypt

You may want to read this, as it has just been posted. What do you interpret it as.
Is it advice not to go or just be careful.
Apparently the Travel Agents are still taking bookings for Egypt. They are being given updates daily from the Foreign Office. Tracey - it might be worth you phoning the Travel Agent to see whether you could change your holiday destination, without losing any money.
Thank you all for advice Its my friend who has booked so I will have a chat with her
Thanks again
Tracy
I'm really not happy about going to Egypt, I've been trying to ring them to see if I can change my destination, but it says that the phone is out of service. I've just sent them an email, so wait and see what comes of it. I'm really not happy with them for selling me the holiday less than a week ago, surely they knew what was happening out there, and that they should have alerted us before we booked. We feel that we have been sold a holiday under false pretences. Hubby was supposed to be doing a diving course for 5 days, leaving me lounging around the pool. Well I don't even want to go to the country, let alone be left out there for days on my own :yikes
I can see where you are coming from but I have been looking at all the news maps and details from foreign office, and they are not worried so why should we be?
At the end of the day most of the attacks have happened on the gaza strip and if you look at google map its quite a few miles from egypt?
I am not thrilled at going but at the end of the day why let them spoil your holiday?
I am still going to look forward to my holiday until I am told any different
Hope this helps a bit x
I read that they're telling us to be on high alert, that's enough for me. We only really booked it so that hubby could do his diving course, but there's no way now that he'll leave me on my own, so it's ruined the holiday anyhow. We were there a week before the 2005 bombing, so that was close, but we thought we'd give it another go, but I just really don't fancy it now.
Yeah I see but the holiday companies aren't at blame they only doing what the FO have told them. I am very apprehensive to say the least but there are talks of a cease fire?
Where and when were you going?
Taba on the 20th January. I'm just so disappointed, we were so looking forward to it. I don't think Taba's that far from the Israeli border :que
Thats where we are going but on the 13th so if we come back ok it might put your mind at rest ha ha!!
No its only 15 mins from border according to one review of the sol y mar sea star which is where we are going wether thats by foot or car I don't know. I had a good look on google maps and it isnt that far butt at the same time most attacks are on the gaza strip which is a few hundred miles away. But still a bit to close for comfort especially if you are going to be left on your own I wouldn't be comfortable
Tracy :(
Hopefully the tour operator will change our destination, if not hubby certainly won't be doing his diving course anyhow. Have a good time and stay safe.xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.