Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
The hotel where Marlou is staying is only a 100 yards from the Israeli border, and passport control. Also any rental cars coming in from Israel have to be parked at the border terminal at the Hilton Hotel or at the Movenpick, where she is staying. It appears that now, negotiations are going to be held in Taba, which for me would make it a more probable target. I realise that the problem isn't with Egypt, and the actual Gaza strip is some distance away, but it does seem to be too close for comfort. Marlou are you phoning the TA you booked with. When you do get through you need to give them this information, and ask them to contact the Tour Operator on your behalf to see if you can change your destination. If this fails and you're going to lose your money anyway, I would certainly wait and see what happens between now & then.
Well they say it's safe to travel, so normal booking conditions apply so they won't change the destination. Well bang goes that, as if things are still like they are out there, I certainly won't be going, and we won't get our money back either! I'm absolutely gutted, I really needed this holiday!
Flying out 17th february to hurghada - Makadi bay. Bit of a stupid question, but are we rather safe staying in a resort?
Taba was in Israel at one point. Yes its very close but its a days bus journey to anywhere near the fighting, and everything will stop on 20th January when Obama becomes president and puts his foot down. The Israeli president is up for re election on 10 Feb so he is just kicking off now while he has the chance. Hamas are all but destroyed according to the BBC. It could be the safest time ever to go.
I hope your right gambia-holiday. I read a review from someone who returned from the same hotel as we are going to, and they say on the review that they could see flares e.t.c. going off! I'm so apprehensive about going, I'm trying to stay calm but it aint easy!
Marlou,Will your tour operator not allow you to change hotels? Even one in Sharm is a bit further away from the Israeli border.
I understand how apprehensive you must be feeling as we were going to go to Sharm in March but are now hoping to go to Turkey.
I have also asked about changing holiday but as its is less than 14 days away they won't allow you to! Marlou you should still be able to change if you with Thompson as thats what they said to me?
First choice are hopeless, they didn't care for my opinions they couldn't wait to get off the phone to me! Looks like i'm just going to have to wait untill closer to see what the situation is. I'll then have to decide whether to go, or stay at home and lose £1000. Hubby and I have regularly travelled with first choice, but this will certainly be the last!
Marlou - it might be worth you phoning the First Choice Head Office rather than the hypermarket where you booked, to see whether they'll be a little more cooperative.
That's where I rang, the guy was an absolute moron!!
If you are willing to pay the administration charge to change your holiday resort and hotel I dont know why they would refuse.
I would keep trying until you get someone on the phone who will help you.
It may be worth ringing Ros for advice.
I said I was prepared to pay a reasonable charge, but he said that aslong as it's deemed safe to fly, I had no hope in hell of changing any of my holiday details.
I am just planning to go to Egypt in the end of this month actually. I have reserved the tour but have not paid yet. Reading all these comments now I hesitate whether or not to go. I was not advised by the travel agency not to go there (of course). My trip will cover mainly Cairo, Aswan and Luxor. Do you think it is safe enough to take this trip or it is better if I decline it?

If anybody has any experience with Expat Explore Ltd (travel agency based in London), could you share with me please? I want to know whether the trip that they organize is good or bad. I was browsing for the review from people about the trip with this travel agency in Google, but found none.

Thanks for your advise and sharing your experience with me.
We're going to Egypt again in March, but even if we were leaving tomorrow I'd:

a > Have no qualms about going.

b > Have every intention of going to Elait (in Israel) on an excursion.

Security in Egypt is always good, especially around the resorts. With this Israel/Gaza problems, it will probably be tighter than ever so as safe as houses... And there is no reason for westerners to be specifically targeted, as for once our Governments are not the ones providing troops and attacking Middle Eastern countries...

Go, have a great time, enjoy the sun, sea, cocktails and fantastic Egyptian hospitality... I assure you will have a great time...

And in all seriousness, the day trip to Elait is amazing, visiting their fantastic aquarium and swimming with the dolphins...
i would have no qualms about going to the sinia either ,i found the security the best i have ever seen anywhere ,the majority of locals are very anti palestinian ,just don't broach the subject is the best bet ,your there on holiday after all .there is a element of fear in this thread that is not needed gaza is a long way away with a desert and mountain range in-between .
I'm still going to go on the 9th February with my two children, I think it'll be absolutely fine. I was travelling in Sri Lanka and South India with my 7 year old daughter in 2006 and there were reports of quite a few bombings in the local media including a big one in Colombo whilst we were staying there! however we were almost unaware of this whilst on our travels and it didnt impact on the safety of our trip. I usually feel safer travelling with kids than solo and often get treated more respectfully. ;)
I'm going too I need to get my thinking more positive, so i've even started packing :tup
i have just joined this thread as i am going to sharm on the fri 13th feb,staying at the tropicana grand azure,I too am very concerned as im going with my wife and 7yr old daughter.But having spoken to about a dozen people that have been to sharm none have advised me to cancel ,also the info i have read on this site has restored my confidence, and as it stands now i will definatley be going

As for Marlou,i think the way you have been treated by the tour operator is well out of order,I would have rang the head office and asked to speak to manager of customer relations and tell them you have spoken to the press and they are interested in covering your situation,But if they can offer you another destination then you would be happy to consider it.
If that fails you get youself on that plane and have super fantastic holiday,And please let us all know how much you enjoyed it
thanks
WAFFERS
:wave: :cheers :D :rofl
Cheers waffers. If I still had major concerns believe me, they wouldn't have heard the end of it. I am picking my tickets up tomorrow, and when I do I will be telling them of the appalling treatment I received. However my concerns have diminished somewhat, and am starting to look forward to it a bit more. I don't think i'll be 100% happy untill i'm there and can see for myself though. I will definately report back when I return. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.