Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
People seem to know everything already these days, not as much asking questions...

How much is beer - average around 3 euro but have seen 1.90 for some obscure brand and in the high 5 euros for some imported brands

What is night life like - as quiet or loud as you want it. Karaoke bars, tribute acts, quiet restaurants, beach bars, pubs and others.

Is it suitable for us - just about anyone, any age range should find places and things to do. It's very family orientated so large loud stag type groups tend to go elsewhere and children are welcome in most bars and restaurants ( in fact get looked after even better when you go as a family )

Day time things to do - all the usual beach and water activities, trips to see the history and culture, BBQs, jeep safaris, trips to the north, boat trips, learn to scuba, car hire, cycle hire etc etc .

Cost of eating - 2 euros for a burger in McDonald's, set menus from 8 to 20 euros in varying places, and more expensive places if you like.

That covers most of the questions frequently asked :-)
ah but remember people also know southern Cyprus is in as much debt as Greece, that makes them frightened to go, even so the CTO have announced arrivals so far this summer are up on last year [but not from the UK/west Europe but from mainly Russia and the former eastern bloc countries with china running up fast on the rails
But aren't all countries in debt and struggling ? Realistically speaking hasn't that always been the case with countries running in debt with money coming from promises etc...
may be but i have seen it on Greek and now some Cyprus forums for some reason people get frightened to go to countries with debt problems for a variety of reasons.
on another rack my daughter has now said she will not return to Cyprus as its by far the most expensive country in the med to go to even more so than Malta [traditionally the most expensive]
My sister stayed just outside of Paphos for a year. She said that the fewer the visitors, the more the prices went up. As she is in the hotel industry she had several interesting conversations with hotel managements. She just couldn't them to realise that putting up prices to make up for less visitors, just led to even less coming.
unfortunately that's the way the Cypriot brain works, not just hotels but bars,tavernas,kiosks and shops all do the same, if turnover is down they put prices up to maintain profit, you just cant make them understand that profit comes from turnover which in turn comes from custom
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.