Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Just got back from Benalmadena late last nite. We had fantastic weather 20`s all week and yeasterday it was too hot 29. At night we managed to go out without a cardigan.

Things seem to be picking up, plenty of folk about but still quite a lot of bars are quiet and I am not suprized as thier prices for food are expensive. The bars that had good offers on were fuller. There are some good offers to be had and in fact we spent less than last year as I am sure that we found better prices for things because we were aware of the credit crunch.(if that makes sense). Plenty of bars had boards outside with offers on and you can still eat and drink cheaper than the uk if you are carefull.One thing we did was to look at the menu before we sat down that way we knew we wouldn`t be ripped off.

Malaga airport was the biggest rip off 3 euros for a soft drink, 2 euros for walkers crisps and 5 euros for a sandwich, take your own food if you can.
we got back last night,the weather was gorgous all week,however we woke up to rain,on sunday,but it was back to the sun yesterday.
the prices,what they are charging for food,i just wouldn't pay in the u.k,it is totally over the top,but we paid,as we were on holiday & i prefer not to worry,about money when we are away.
it was quiet,but that doesn't bother me,as we have our grandaughter with us.
hope the weather,holds for everyone going soon,
tracy
When you say , what they were charging for food , do you mean the shops or bars cafes and restaurants?
no,not restauarants,just the cafe bars,on the front.something simple like,pie,chips & peas,was either 8 or 9 euros,depending which one you looked at,i just wouldn't pay that here,for something so simple.breakfasts,were either 5 or 6 euros,this depended on the size though.there didn't seem,to be alot of difference,in prices,from place to place,although i will say,we certainly never walked & walked,looking for cheaper places to eat,as thats not us.
we did get things in from the supermarket,again prices definately higher,than here.
drinks are our downfall,hubby will only drink carling,even here,if a pub doesn't sell carling,he will have strongbow,so he was paying between 3 & 3.50 euros,which annoys me,as i'm sure if he could only get san miguel,he would drink it.i like cocktails,the cheapest i found was 6 euros,most was 7.i do drink vodka & coke,but not sure,what we paid for them.
for us,it was an extra week away & we knew the exchange rate before we went,so we can't really complain,would we go back yes!
tracy
I think Tracey is refering to the cafe prices of food. I must admit that we commented that most meals were a lot more expensive than we pay at home. Luckily we were half board so only a lunch was require.There are still some good offers on in some places but you have to look alot more now the pound isn`t strong, menu of the day is still good value. Another thing we noticed were the take away chickens they were between 8-10 euros.

sorry was posting the same time as you.

We too would go back as it is a beautiful place and loads to do.
we bought the cooked chickens,a couple of times,because our grandaughter loved them,with fresh bread,think we paid 7 euros,again though,definately more,than we would pay here.alot of us,used to go abroad for our holidays,because it was so much cheaper,than here,that cetainly isn't the case anymore,however having a holiday,in this country,just does not appeal to me.mind you,i don't think our choice of mexico this year,has been our greatest decision :duh
tracy
Alan and Jim are only opening the Albatros bar at lunch times.They are not opening at their normal 8pm.Alan told me its not worth them opening in the night at the moment??? Sign of the times.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.