Spain - Costa Del Sol/Gibraltar Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Costa Del Sol.
Hi Anne glad you had a great time at El Tiburon, shame about the breakfast but like you say its still excellent value for money.It`s a fantastic area. We have been to Benalmadena and Carihuela 4 times now and we love the place. We didn`t find the drinks in the hotel cheap either and that was before the drop of the pound against euro. I do think now though that more bars in sourounding area are having offers on the drinks since the drop.

I hope I didn`t ofend you when I mentioned the access to the hotel, I didn`t read your post properly.
Hi there,
Glad you had a good stay. I'm going to the same hotel at the end of September.

Dawnie-Rob :wave
Hi Anne, if you havent alredy done so, we would be really grateful if you could add your review here

Thanks in advance

Kath x
Well we said this year would be our last at La Carihuela, but I am already hovering over the Jet2 button ready to book flights to Malaga for next year. Maybe not El Tiburon but definitely La Carihuela. I'm hooked. Accommodation available is a bit limited at the moment but the flights are an ok price for someone who has to take school holidays. Took the local bus back to the railway station this year - worked like clockwork. Last year we dragged our cases all the way up the hill, year before we waited ages for a taxi. Completely stress-free holiday this year, enjoyed every minute.
I'm hooked

I know what you mean...I'm hooked, line and sinker on La Carihuela, I'd go live there tomorrow. :lol:
I've now booked the flights to Malaga for September from my local airport (Doncaster/Sheffield )
A bit more than I wanted to pay, I've been watching the price go up and down and running the risk that the plane will be full, and the flight no longer available, and then have to pay more out for a taxi to EMA.
It's swings and roundabouts, I'll get it back some other way.
An early morning flight out and a dinner-time flight back to the Uk, which works out brilliantly seeing as we have to get out of the apartment at 10 am.
Taxi to the airport booked....just waiting for the weeks to fly by now.

Sanji
I`m in Benalmadena in Mid August for the weekend & Mid September. Can anyone reccommend a good Spanish resturant in La Carihuela.
I`m taking a good friend out with me who i am sure will appreciate fine Spainish food.
I have heard that there is also a Carribean Resturant on the Paseo Maritimo that is quite good.

Thanks everyone!
Adrian
Can anyone reccommend a good Spanish resturant in La Carihuela.

There are lots, have a look at El Roqueo. Famous for it's seafood.

Robby :wink:
Well I've booked for next summer. Booked the flights with JET2 from Leeds Bradford but having problems booking El Tiburon. (El Tiburon still by far the best value I could find). I phoned Alpharooms and they say the hotel are not confirming the booking so wonder what's happening now. They are going to phone me when it is sorted - hopefully. Now counting down the days for our trip to Benidorm end of October.
Hello there... How lovely to read through all of your views on La Carihuela. You've actually made my mind up for me to go back in Oct... we usually go twice a year but I was going to give it a miss this Oct - but I just cant keep away!

Love sitting on the balcony watching Alonso preparing for his day... Nipping over the Dark Side for a late breakfast... Miss Mike & Jenny being there, but it's still very good.

No good - I have to go checkout flights.. ;)
Well, the time has nearly arrived to return to La Carihuela, I'm flying out tomorrow morning and I've just got one small thing to do...PACK !

Just wanted to say that if anybody else it going to be in Torremolinos on Sunday (20th) there will be the Romeria de San Miguel taking place.
The procession comes through the main street of Torremolinos and then they head up towards the church (bull ring area) and then finish off to party in the pinewoods next to where the fair is held.
If you want to see a bit of the 'real' Spain and a spectrum of colours and traditional Andalucian costumes, horses, bulls and 'Romany' decorated caravans, it's worth the effort.

The feria (fair) will take place from the 25th to 29th, surprisingly enough in the fair ground.
If you're thinking "fairs/amusements" are not my scene anymore, please don't disregard the opportunity to see some flamenco dancers and listen to some Spanish music that will be taking place in the little bars and purpose built venues around the streets near to the amusements, some of these musicians are top notch.

There will be a LOT of people around, so the usual warning about keeping your wits about you applies.
Don't take anything that you value and don't take more money that you will need...which won't be a lot, the locals will not pay the estupido tourist prices, so go and get stuck in there with them.

El Dia de San Miguel (the patron Saint Michael's day) is on the 29th September, so this is a holiday and banks and most shops will be closed, so forward plan if you intend to buy any ciggies and presents.
The local tourist offices will have more details about the other events taking place each night throughout the week.

Apart from packing, I hope the flight is on time and I hope the sun keeps shining, especially on Sunday the 20th.

Hasta Luego
Sanji - you lucky thing. How I wish I was going with you. I'd love to see all those costumes & colours. Say hi to La Carrihuela for me. I'm determined to go back one day. I did look at flights for October half term, but they were out of my budget. Have a great time - see you soon. :tup
We came back from Benalnadena this week and we are so glad that we found the La Carihuela area,an oasis in another wise concrete jungle.Haven't been to CDSol for 40 years and we found the area not really our liking,but we loved this little spot.It's a pity we are not really fish eaters as this seems to be the main food on offer here.
Hi all
I am off next Friday, 25th for a week will take a look at the fair, whilst I am there.
Dawnie- Rob
Got back on Saturday afternoon from La Carihuela/Torremolinos with a very bumpy (heart stopping) landing at Doncaster Airport due to the wind.

The weather apart from Saturday 26th September which was overcast and slight showers on and off all day"¦it was sunshine every day and last Thursday night it was a sweltering 24°C at 10 pm....the exchange rate was diabolical. :bawl

The Romería was just fantastic, approx 230,000 people took part in it, and dare I say it was better than the previous ones I've seen.
We spent a lot of time in Torremolinos town centre, there was just so much going off every day with complimentary tasting of Castilian dishes and performers in Pablo Ruiz Picasso, Andalucía, Indpendencia and Nogalera Square(s)
We saw a group of senoras/senoritas called ‘Aires De Mi Barrio' perform in La Nogalera Plaza, Oh my goodness, I bet there wasn't a smoker amongst them because they all had a fine set of lungs. LOL

During the 4 nights that the Fería was on, we went up there to see the things going off in the Castetas"¦ballet, Reggae bands, Fusion, Jazz, flamenco dancers and in the Auditorium around 11.30pm there were some top notch performers, Manuel Carrasco, Radio Macandé and Diana Navarro, but unfortunately after being up since 7.30 am and walking for miles, it was getting passed my bed time after midnight.

Last week we saw the rally of classic cars come down what is normally a pedestrianised Calle Bulto, now that was a sight worth seeing and there were some beautiful old cars that had been polished like mirrors.
Can you believe that we never had time to go on the beach,? that's a first for me, but we still got a tan walking back from Torremolinos and standing around filming events, and we saw more by staying in an apartment than we would have seen if we'd have been tied to the hotel meal times.

The procession during the evening of San Miguel day (29th) was very ‘moving'.
I just didn't want to come home. :bawl

I was very dubious about going back into an apartment after years of staying in a 4 * hotel in La Carihuela and for weeks before we went, I was hoping and praying that it wouldn't be a disaster and I'd made the wrong decision"¦"¦. we've done the ‘cheap & cheerful' apartments years ago when the boys were younger and that's all we could afford at the time.
The freedom and space of the apartment was great, and although it could have been a bit cleaner in certain places and it was a typical "holiday let", it had everything in it, ample pots/pans, utensils, kettle, toaster, microwave, hob/oven, iron, ironing board, washing machine, fridge/freezer and Sky TV"¦... we used the microwave and 2 of the 4 rings on the hob when making spag bol.

It was situated on a small complex only 4 floors high with a key to the gate to get into the grounds and a sturdy 5 lever mortice lock on the apartment door.
The balcony has been double glazed, so it was lovely sitting on the sofa on the balcony looking out towards the Hotel Sol Aloha Puerto with sea views on either side.

The bus stop for the local bus (L1) which runs every half hour between the Aloha Puerto and Torremolinos was just at the bottom of the street and we had Lidl supermarket just 5 mins walking up to the top of the street on the other side of the ‘coastal road'"¦"¦Mercadona Supermarket which is huge and has far more choice was 15/20 mins stroll away, so we called in when walking back from Torremolinos.

We didn't make it (again) to Malaga, but went to Fuengirola on the train, we walked to Arroyo and back down through Paloma Park"¦all the way back to the apartment, but like I say, there was just too much going off every day in Torremolinos.

Here's the bad news"¦..
I got the camcorder with it's own carrying case out of the flight bag to film the horrendous queue that greeted us on arrival at Doncaster Airport, and I didn't bother putting it back because I wanted to film the progression of the new Malaga Airport.
To cut a long story short, while I was waiting for the cases, I don't remember if someone nudged me or what, but the strap ran down my arm like a snake and the camcorder hit the tiled floor in Malaga Airport with a thud.

Since then, it keeps going wrong, one minute it's ok and then suddenly it's like condensation behind the screen.
I did re- film Paloma Park and the car rally in la Carihuela, the road works in Arroyo and much much more"¦..and it's all no good, it's like it's been captured during fog on the playback"¦.thankfully I was able to salvage the Romería or at least the best bits of it, by switching it on and off every time there was a break in the procession"¦.otherwise I would have been well miffed.

We had a great time and the first week flew by so quickly"¦..the fiesta & weather was the icing on the cake.."¦.roll on next year, the next apartment is even better that the one we've just had, and only about 5 minutes (walking) further away.

Sanji
Hi Sanji, sounds like you had a wondeful time. I don't mind self catering myself, like you say you get more freedom, and me not being a morning person, found it great for breakfast.
That's a great report you've written, and I've also read the one you did on prices, I'm sure lots of people will gain a lot of info from them both.
Pleased you enjoyed your hols, bet you can't wait for the next one, lol. Linda x
Just a quick note I will not recommend the El Tiburon,as they treated me terribly.
Dawnie-Rob
Sanji that is a great report - I do so enjoy reading all about your holidays. What a shame about the camcorder. I would be interested for more information about your apartment - I am considering self catering in the area next time.

I look forward to your next report!
Hi Sanji

Really pleased that you had a great holiday, sorry to hear about your camcorder though :(

We're itching to go back again, and will do hopefully, next year.

Elaine
i have always wanted to stay self catering in that area but cannot find an apartment thats suitable for someone with walking difficulties(level access, no steps and somewere i can store a scooter)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.