Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Glad you had a good time. Yes, the flight to Valencia is much better - not too far to drive when you arrive. When? the new Castellon airport opens it will be even closer. It just depends on what airlines decide to use it.

We must have been fortunate when we visited the Cheers Bar as there were no 'badly behaved families' in there - of course we were not there during a school holiday period though.

Not sure if we will return - would like to try out Costa Almeria next year or our beloved Majorca again!!

Pippa
Pippa, think we will be waiting sometime for the airport at Castellon. Think I have mentioned previously that I know an ex pat that owned much of the land that the airport is to be located on. Speaking with him a couple of months ago, he said that the land had been cleared but that was it. No foundations, groundwork, fencing or anything. They have a website and the name appears as a sponsor for a football team but that's about it. He said that the way Spanish officialdom goes, it could literally be years before anything is completed.
Back out again in a few weeks this time to a fantastic private villa in Cap Y Corp, 5 minutes from Alcossebre BUT I look at my web cams everyday and the weather is terrible and we're in mid June - whats going on???!!! Hope it improves soon.
Just like anywhere else this is an area with building work going on.It is lovely with long beaches.Friends of mine go there from Benidorm.I suppose it will get built up like anywhere else on the coast.It's a part which hasn't had the investment others costa's have had until recent years.I'vepast it many times by car.It does look very interesting.Does this mean the Brits will go up there?
hi have booked to go to alcossebre in july ...flights ryan air ...apartment ...been looking how to get from valencia airport to alcossebre...i know the metro (undergroud)goes into valencia then i need train from there to cala de chivert? anyone travelled this way? what do you reccommend? need help please?xxxxxx
Would recommend a car. The area just inland from Alcossebre is stunning but you really need a car to explore. Driving is easy - motorway (toll) from Valencia airport - should take about an hour and a quarter.

Pippa
thanks pippa that a great help xxxx really looking fordward to exploring!!!!!!!!!!!!
Hi Marubbi, Pippa is right, dont even think about anything other than a hire car, Pippa and I have had differing views on transfer times (lol) but an hourish is about right on the Toll road. If it's your first time there you won't be disappointed IF you are looking for REAL Spain. You have a proper Spanish coastal town in Alcossebre, Las Fuentes 2 minutes away with it's harbour, restaurants and bars and several superb blue flag beaches. There are no Costa yobs, the only brekkie place is Cheers on the harbour and the food is plentifull, good value and excellent quality.

Up the coast is Peniscola with its Castle and fantastic promenade and next to Reus (1.5 hours away) is Port Aventura which is a very good theme park.

The airport at Castellon is still not built so make good use of this area before more Brits and the like discover the Orange Blossom Coast because it really is a jewel. 5 weeks to go for me, 2 weeks in a private villa is just what I need AND it's not costing the earth, probably when totted up a third of what I would have paid if I had booked a Villa holiday with one of the tour operators.
hi and thanks ......looks like we will book a car!!! really looking forward to this holiday had a real bargin 5adults flying ryanair 99.90 and apartment 315.00 excellent value...thanks again xxxxxxxxxxx
Barnio please could you tell me which website (if any) you used to book your villa as I've tried all the usual suspects and there seems to be loads of 2 bedroom apartments but we need 3 beds and they seem to be like hens teeth!
Hi Melanie, no problem, we used the Owners Direct website. In the space of a few months I have become good friends with the guy I am renting off, indeed only this morning he has sent me an e:mail with all the instructions for his villa. If you are looking for something close to the beach, use the net to look for Jardines Del Puerto in Las Fuentes. This is where we stay in a relatives appt. He has a top floor appt with only 2 beds however I believe on the ground floor they are duplexes with 3 beds. The place is right on the beach, is a securely gated complex with guards at night and has private underground parking. There are many "brit" owners on site and there are several sites available on the net that have availability.

Marubbi, we too got Ryanair bargains into Valencia. Have done the Reus flight many times however Valencia is much more pleasant to wait in pre-flight. Last year we did Jet2 however they dropped the service from Manchester and the Leeds flights were expensive in comparison to Liverpool with Ryanair.
owners direct is one of the ones we looked at do you mind me asking which one it was? thaks
It was property s8686 however, having just looked at the availability, it is fully booked this year and I am not sure after speaking with him if he is going to rent out again.
hi barnio...we used myvillarenters.com....ours a two bed apartment....we have used before ownersdirect they have a vast catalogue ....hope this helps xxxxx
We have just used car jet for a car at Valencia Airport. Good car and no excess.

We have used owners direct several times - also holiday lettings.

Pippa
Hi Marubbi, glad you've got sorted, where are you staying?

Hi Pippa, my accountant used car jet but had a bad experience however he said they were very cheap. I've just been quoted £220ish by Hertz for a focus or equivalent, how does that compare with your deal. Thing is, i've used Hertz many times and always found them to be really good. Once when I got the car and the tank was virtually empty, the Hertz guy drove it to a garage, filled it up with Diesel before returning with sweets for the kids and a bottle of wine for my wife and I because of the incovenience. What a touch I thought!!!
We paid 101 euros for a 5 door Corsa or similar - fully inclusive - 1 week. The company at Valencia airport was Goldcar but this may vary.

It came with a full tank of fuel - return empty. Trouble is with that system you never do return it empty for fear of running out on the way back to the airport. You also pay more for a tank from them then if you filled it up yourself. Swings and roundabouts really as they were cheaper than other companies anyway.

We have used Hertz at Barcelona and we got an upgrade from a tiny peugeot 1007 to a Focus for 20 euros extra when collecting the car. The excess buy out with Hertz can be quite expensive but there are insurance companies that provide car hire excess insurance cover at very good rates. Try:-
http://www.worldwideinsure.com

Pippa
Hi again - I think we might have got somewhere - fingers crossed - so I was just wondering about people's restaurant recommendations. We went to alcossebre last year and up until the last couple of days were having a bit of trouble finding where to eat. We liked cheppis for lunch and also went to the Mirador which we liked. The place in the mountains (el pinar?) was gorgeous for a treat but we couldn't really find anywhere where we could just go for a few tapas. I know it's a matter of not knowing where to look when you go somewhere for the first time. We always usually go to Javea and have been spoilt with a huge variety of very good reasonably priced restaurants and we found Alcossebre a bit expensive by comparison. I would be grateful for any advice - what we really like is good simple spanish food at reasonable prices. I remember not seeing many menu del dias last year - again we were probably looking in the wrong place. Also where is the cheapest supermarket to shop please? Thanks very much
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.