Spain - All Other Costas, Inland Areas Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding all Spanish areas not covered.
Well obviously not !!! lol. Seriously, I have just over a week to go now and cannot wait!! I have been looking over last years main summer holiday that we went on and the questions being asked Oh my God! Do you have to reserve a sunbed, hows the mozzies, hows the entertainment , whats the food like etc. WELL, I'm going to place where there are no problems with sun beds, the mozzies are non existent, the entertainment is just how you make it and the restaurants are absolutely fabulous. So there - and if I could stick my tongue out I would !!!!!
you could be the first HTer to venture there! :lol:
HOpe you have a great time!
Thanks fiona, put the resort on to your site and I will send a report on my return, many thanks.
The Costa Azahar or Orange coast.North of Valencia unspoilt with loads of history.The old Roman town of Sagunt, Castillo del Plano and Peniscola with the castle of Papa Luna(the stand in castle of Valencia for the final battle scene El Cid).
Yes, we had a fantastic holiday and go back there 1st week of October. Weather apart from 1 day was superb, good fishing off the harbour and some absolutely brilliant meals. Taxa Chimo for tapas - a family of four, several drinks and 12/14 dishes plus ice cream at the end, 45 euros. El Patio pizza for beautiful pizza and mixed carpacio (raw meat). It is truly the best carpacio I have tasted and I am fairly well travelled when it comes to Europe. Visited Peniscola which has the castle from the film El Cid and is worth a day out also. Beautiful clean long sandy beach and at the end of May early june not crowded one bit.

I only hope that once the airport at Castellon is open that the area does not become too over crowded because at the moment it is just right with a good mix of locals and other europeans. Indeed there is actually only one truly British Bar (Cheers) on the harbour in Las Fuentes. A bit clicky for us but a good night out too. They also serve very good food and plenty of it too (Mix grill is excellent).

If you want a good safe family environment then you cannot go wrong with this area although there are only a few hotels and none have british tour operators there to my knowledge. However if you surf the net, their are some excellent private appts/villas available. Reus is 1 hour away and is served by Ryanair and many other charter flights from the UK and also Easy jet fly into Barcelona along with Monarch. Jet2 fly Valencia and also Thomsonfly from many UK airports.

It is certainly an excellent way to DIY holidaying at its best and I can't wait to return in 9 weeks time.
We had a week in Alcossebre last October.

Whilst the apartment was not the best we have ever had the location was brilliant - almost right on the beach.

This area is lovely and as yet untouched by the package holiday industry -lets hope it stays that way.

We really like Las Fuentes and when we return we will aim to stay there instead of Alcossebre - loved the Marina and as you say the Cheers Bar did great food in a lovely location.

This is still a Spanish resort but it is obvious that more Brits are looking to buy in that area - it is still a good bit cheaper than the neighbouring Vosta Blanca.

Pippa
Hi, We had 2 great weeks in Las Fuentes last July and I would definately recommend the area. You can read a couple of my reports on Disabled Persons Holiday discussions under Costa Del Azahar.
BA have some good priced flights to Barcelona next May. Is it feasible to fly there and drive down to Alcosseber - it doesn't look too far and my husband has driven in Spain a lot of times.

Last October we flew Easyjet to Valencia but they don't release their schedules early enough for me (I'm impatient) and anyway I don't think they can beat BA's prices at the moment.

Pippa
Have booked an apartment in Las Fuentes for 10/11 nights next May. Found it on Owners Direct and owners are really helpful in letting us book it for that number of nights rather than a straight 1/2 weeks. Great price too!!

We will wait for Easyjet/Ryanair to release their flights as we can then fly from Stansted which is much closer to us. We will ideally fly to Valencia which is what we did before but Reus/Barcelona and Alicante (at a push) are all possibilities. We did look at Barcelona but car hire is so much more expensive there.

Pippa
Hi Pippa, we stay in Las Fuentes and like you, our appt owner is very flexible and allows us whatever number of days we like. We did the Alicante flight first time out and to be honest it is a long way. Took us about 3 hours if I remember rightly and the kids were very fed up. Also we have done the flight into Gerona via Ryanair and that too is too far although we paid a penny for each flight + taxes which softened the blow of the distance travelled I suppose.

Ryanair usually launch flights for May around November/December, I get E:Mail alerts of most low cost carriers and book straight away to get the best deals. Well, I'm back there in 4 weeks and can't wait, just hope the weather is as good as last time. Happy holidays!!
We have decided to have 2 or 3 days at a small B&B on the Costa Blanca/Costa de Azahar border before going on to Las Fuentes for our 10 nights.

We would still prefer to fly into Valencia so will wait until flights are released. We would be happy to fly from Coventry with Thomsonfly if the prices are good. Otherwise we will wait until Easyjet from Stansted come out. Ryanair fly to Reus but the flights are late evening which is not so good. Have looked at BA who have really good prices at the moment £100 for 2 of us to Alicante but not too keen on having to fly from Gatwick!! The prices to Barcelona are even cheaper but car hire is very expensive there - not much competition I suppose. Too much choice and I am impatient! Still the apartment is booked which is the important thing.

Whereabouts is the apartment you stay in - the one we are having is about 150 metres from Las Fuentes beach and from what we can make out it is near the Grand Hotel Las Fuentes - with mountain veiws. Found it on Owners Direct and the owner lives about 18 miles away from us!!

Pippa
Hi Pippa, we stay in Jardines Del Puerto, a private gated complex which is situated right on Las Fuentes beach (les fontes I think the beach is called with the springs). Next to our complex is another private one full of slightly older appts and then the grand hotel las fuentes. If you look on google images and type in las fuentes beach or harbour at las fuentes, images pop up and you get some great pics of the area.

Jardines del Puerto is featured in many sites on the net and there are various ones for let. The owner of ours is a relative and he let his out on general letting in the first year. After 12 months however, he was very disappointed with the condition that it was in and the general apathy other people had with his property. He has since decided to let only to family members and close friends and he takes up about 12 weeks a year himself.

The weeks we go are generally very quiet and I love the beach and the beach bar and also the fishing off the breakwater. I have my opinion that with the harbour as it is and the development of an airport that this resort is going to become very popular indeed.
Doesn't sound too far away from the apartment we are having which is in the Fuentesol complex. There don't seem to be many apartments in this complex to rent for some reason. There are quite a lot of steps up to the apartment and the gardens look fantastic - resident staff apparently.

How sad that people do not look after a holiday property - I always try to leave it as I would want to find it - occasionally better!

Last year we stayed along the other end in Alcossebre - fantastic location -right on beach and lovely complex (Cala Gonzalez) great pool and terrace - sometimes we were the only ones out there! Unfotunately the apartment we had was dreadful - a view from terrace of a wall and generally a sad unloved apartment - does not appear to be on the Holiday Rentals site anymore - we wondered at the time why it didn't get many bookings! We were on the point of moving to somewhere else but decided to make the best of it. The one we are having in Las Fuentes does seem to get booked up and the owners spend quite a lot of time there themselves.

I have had a look at Google Earth - great site. It will be good when the airport at Castellon opens although like you I hope it doesn't affect the area in a negative way.

Pippa
If I remeber correctly the Funtesol is a lovely complex adjacent to the Jardines in a very nice area.

Yes you are right, some people have no respect for others property, whenever we leave our appt, I always say to my wife that the cleaners won't have much of a job because of the way we leave it but I like to be respectfull to others and that way, we are always welcome to use it whenever we like.

We also stayed at the other end at Cala Josep on a viewing trip some years ago and that too was ok although like you we found it a bit dated and had a very poor view from the tiny ground floor balcony.

Ironically, an english ex pat client of mine, owned much of the land that the airport is being built on. It will be about a half hour drive from Las fuentes but its location should not affect the area with noise and I am constantly searching the net to get updates and see if any UK carriers intend to use the facility.

When you go, if not already done, please try El Patio pizza and Taxa Chimo both in Alcossebre town. They are absolutely superb and excellent value for money.
We tried (3 times) the Mare Nostrum Pizzeria which was right opposite our apartment last year. Superb - huge pizzas - you need to share and the house salad - WOW. A very busy place - always a good sign. We went to Cheers on the marina a couple of times too - very British of course but great food - my husband had a steak and kidney pudding followed by treacle sponge!

Perhaps you might see the Fuentesol complex when you are out there next month and report back - we will be on the top floor (and no lift). We shall be in Majorca in October (another of our favourites).
Hi Pippa, will gladly report back for you although from what I already "think" I know and from looking on the net, I don't think you will be disappointed with your choice.Ours too is top floor with no lift although only a minor inconvenience. We are going back to Majorca next year witha large party of families. Where do you go? Our choice has always been Sa Coma, been there countless number of times and now always book direct rather than with a tour operator. Much cheaper and far more fun doing it your own way, especially without the first hassle of any holiday, the dreaded transfer coach!!
Than you Barnio. I have pm'd you re Majorca so that I don't hijack this forum with another destination!!

Pippa
Well, what can I say, had to cancel my October trip at the last minute due to unforseen family circumstances. Have booked for next May/June however and am just now waiting for flights to be launched from the usual low cost outfits.
EDIT: Advertisement removed.
David HT Mod
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.