Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
toastedmallow,

You may find members Resort Reports for Kalkan useful.

Darren
I was there a few weeks ago and had a lovely time but did find eating out quite expensive. However there are some lovely restaurants with good quality food. We had a rented car and went to Patara which was a super trip. The beach was stunning although I think you have to be very careful of the conditions. The day before we visited a tourist was drowned in rough waves. The ancient site was very interesting. A short drive away is Kas which is also a very picturesque place. Boat trips to the sunken city are in my opinion a must. There are many other places of interest within short driving distances of Kalkan and as we were only there a few days we are keen to return.
I'm going to Kalkan in September for the first time. Would be interested to hear how your trip went when you return toastedmallow! Have fun! :wave:
Went to Kalkan few years ago - agree that it is quite expensive to eat out and more of a 'couples' holiday resort which was quite nice. No beach as such in the town...they tend to use the harbour front..but there are beaches short bus ride away either side. If you use Patara beach might be worth getting a 'season' ticket as it worked out cheaper. As JMK said though...be very careful of the water! Few years before son and then girlfriend (now wife) went to Hisaronu and did the jeep safari which took in Patara. On getting to the beach they both went into the sea and straight away both were caught in a rip. Luckily they BOTH used to be lifeguards and strong swimmers and knew exactly what to do...don't fight it..just let it take you until the rip finishes. It took them a fair way along the beach...meanwhile the turks were having kittens on the sand! When we were on our transfer from Dalaman to Kalkan the guide was saying what lovely beach Patara was...we were at the front and I kept saying BUT it is also dangerous! Eventually she took on board what I was saying..agreed..and explained about the rip tides to the rest of the coach!

Can't remember the name of the beach in opposite direction...but you go down a steepish ladder to the beach. There are no facilities there....but they do lower drinks/ some food down on a basket and long length of string :rofl
Thx everyone. I like the sound of 'couples' destination just hope restaurant prices aren't too high. We've been to Dalyan the past 2 years & found eating out there good & reasonable................so fingers crossed.

Looking out on hailstones here so looking forward to some sunshine. :sun But NOT looking forward to the Dalaman rip-off experience :(
BTW does anyone know if there's a break during the airport transfer as I think it takes about 2 & a half hours?

Will let you know how we get on, summerdays :sun2
I think we stopped for a petrol refuel - and you could use the loos there and pick up some drinks etc.
Kaputas beach is the one in the other direction, very beautiful with a lot of steps to go down and as mentioned no facilities. The parking at the top is very limited. It is part way between Kalkan and Kas.
If you scroll through to January 15th, 2010 you will find the Discussion on Kalkan topic. I also recommend you look at website Enjoy Kalkan for more up to date information.

Les
almost certainly a "comfort stop" on the transfer.
Depending on which company you are going with you may have to transfer from a large coach to a minibus somewhere near Fethiye/Calis.
Thx all.....will do another search as didn't come across that thread. :tup
I have just remembered the name of one of the restaurants we visited. The food and service was especially good but quite expensive, nice for a treat. The Aubergine. They have a web site so take a peep.
One quaint little restaurant is "Tailors".
Only tiny and has only three tables, all outside. The menu is on the blackboard outside, take it or leave it !
Good though if you want a vegetarian option as she will make something up for you if you give her notice.
Brilliant:good to get a few recommendations to get us started.
Aubergine looks great & I'm very happy with veggie food too, so thanks :tup

Any pide places? I do enjoy them ;)
Another tip! On the morning we left for the airport we picked up some sandwiches freshly made from the Atlantis restaurant. It has a counter there where you can buy sandwiches, cakes etc to take away. It was all very nice and as Dalaman airport must be one of the most expensive in the world, saved us a lot of money. This also has a web site so you can check where it is.
Great JMK. That's really helpful. I've been following the comments on the Dalaman thread &know how expensive it is. :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.