Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Kas or Kalkan
13 Posts
They're so close - about 25 minutes by Dolmus.

We've stayed in Kalkan four times, and always visited Kas at least twice each vist. There's a much larger choice of accomodation and places to eat in Kalkan, but it's by no means a bustling resort.

Kas feels more of a working town, with a pleasant little harbour area, but - and this is just a personal opnion - I love the pedestrianised "old town" area of Kalkan, and Kas doesn't have an equivilent.

The one big downside to this area of Kalkan is that it's very steep, so if you have any kind of difficulty with slopes Kas may be a better idea.
  • Edited by Rich C 2006-05-31 09:37:32
I have to say I have a similar experience and agree totally with the above poster!

Can I also recommend trying to do a day trip to the island just off Kas: The Greek island of Castellorizo (in Greek)/Meis (Turkish), which can be arranged from Kas or Kalkan.

Whilst there's perhaps not a lot to do there, it's very peaceful and unsploilt.
One thing that I have read very often is the Kas really does not have any great beaches and that Kalkan is very hilly.

My preference is the small village of Cirali. Protected by the WWF, for the conservation of the sea turtles and it's natural surroundings.

It is a wonderful place for families and the mature traveller with it's clean 4km secluded beach, the ancient ruins of Olympos and the flames of Chimeara. Cirali caters to a quieter crowd with only a few local bars playing live turkish music.

One of the last remaining villages that has not been taken over by mass tourism.

Have a look at these links

http://www.panda.org/about_wwf/where_we_work/mediterranean/news/stories/index.cfm?uNewsID=15130
http://www.cirali.org/index_eng.html
Perfume - sorry forgot, if you like Dalyan then Kalkan will probably tick most of your boxes. Certainly we've loved staying in both. Don't worry, Kalkan and Kas aren't remotely like Marmaris.
just checking prices and flights now, look like it will be JMC.... will post if I get a good deal..
Hi perfume, We've literally just returned from Kalkan and have to say that it gets my vote over Kas. Have a look at my write up on the Discussion on Kalkan which is just below this.
hi perfume
kalkan is the better out the two resorts you would still be able to get the dolmus to kas for a couple of trips the threads posted above are totally correct it sounds like we have mad a decision for you :lol:
What is it like to travel to Kas and Kalkan? I have problems with the edges of the roads on the mountains and can just about get to Oludeniz without freaking out too much :oops:

I have heard that the journey to Kas is worse? Is that right?
if you are driving from fethiye the roads are very good and nothing to worry about nothing like the journey down to olu much flatter a lovely drive all in all
Thank you - I am off to research Kas and Kalkan!
to Kas!!!

the rooftop bars/restaurants and 84 steps to a hotel etc put me off for Kalkan... I don't like it in Hisonaru.

My mum is not decrepit be she needs a Knee replacement, so Kas for a week is a bit more easy to navigate!!! It looks lovely. Going 10 July, daytime flights. Thanks for all your input!
Nip into Klakan for a visit, it's only 20min by dolmus and the walk down to the harbour is not too bad from the station(if you take the right route) very pretty and lots of places to stop and people watch, we there from 7 July for 2 weeks can't wait! :lol: :lol:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.