Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Pardon my ignorance but what is Lahmacun? :que

Alan
If you go towards the Bazzar from the bus stop opposite Tansas just before you enter the covered area there is a lovely Turkish restaurant that do lovely Lahmachuns.I cant remember the name but it is opposite a small supermarket. :tup
mobile fitter wrote:
Pardon my ignorance but what is Lahmacun? :que

Lahmacun is a very thin kind of Turkish pizza topped with finely ground lamb and chillie, it is often eaten with squeezed lemon and salad and is very tasty!
Lahmacun is more like a wrap than a pizza I find. Soft dough that you roll into a sausage shape :tup

Mickyjo where in London do you get your kebaps and lahmacun? I hear that north London is the place to go all around Green Lanes?
cheers
gb
It is made the same way as pizza though, with the same dough just rolled out very thin.

There are loads of good Turkish restaurants around Green Lanes and Haringay, we go there a fair bit.
Kedi I go to Turkish restaurants in Haringay too. Bloomin lovely!
Kedi lahmacun dough is nothing like pizza dough, its a different dough totally and you don't wrap pizza into a sausage shape like you do lahmacun and wraps. lahmacun dough it's deep pan and it isn't like crispy thin bread or any other type of pizza bases, its the same as a mexican wrap sweet. ;) my mate has a restaurant in turkey and all he does is lahmacun and that's how i know.
gb
Here's a recipe or two:

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/recipes/turkish-pizza-lahmacun-563118.html

http://www.edmundricetrust.org/gssng4/oxc.php?lahmacun-recipe

As Kedi is married to a Turk, and all the recipes I have found call it pizza - I am inclined to fall in the pizza not wrap camp! ;)
groovybaby wrote:
Kedi lahmacun dough is nothing like pizza dough, its a different dough totally and you don't wrap pizza into a sausage shape like you do lahmacun and wraps. lahmacun dough it's deep pan and it isn't like crispy thin bread or any other type of pizza bases, its the same as a mexican wrap sweet. ;) my mate has a restaurant in turkey and all he does is lahmacun and that's how i know.
gb

I don't think anyone's looking for an argument here - loads of websites and recipe books describe lahmacun as a form of Turkish pizza, and even the owner of our local pizza/kebab shop, who is Turkish, insists that's what it is, so maybe we should all just agree to disagree on this. Like I said, whatever you want to describe them as, they're all delicious anyway!
Debbie scot I just replied to you on the other thread about lahmacuns. Lahmacun is NOT a pizza and no Turkish people describe it as pizza. They may tell you that coz your scottish and they think its easy for you to understand, not speaking the lingo or being a turk and all that, but I know for a fact lahmacun is not pizza. If it was pizza they wouldn't call it lahmacun. Turkish pizzas are called pide. Lahmacun is like a tortilla - it's a wrap. Even the turkish cookbook says that honey! ;)
Why the fuss anyway?
Most of us on here know Turkey well and my Turkish mates and relatives probably know it a whole lot better - and they never call lahmacun pizza. It's a different thing altogether. :que
GB
Can we just agree to disagree here please? Whether it's a pizza or a wrap, does it really matter? We're just going around in circles and duplicating posts over two threads and getting nowhere. I will lock the topic if needed.

Thanks,

Dazbo HT Mod
Groovybaby

My husband's mother and sisters make lahmacun and they make the dough exactly the same way as I would pizza dough, it is just rolled out very thin. All the lahmacun I have had is slightly crispy, it is never soft like tortilla wrap. I know the link from Binnur's Turkish cookbook says you can use tortilla wraps but that is not the way it would be made if you were doing it properly. Every other recipe I have seen says it is a kind of pizza and use the same dough as pizza dough too.

Yes, you do wrap it up but it isn't actually a wrap, the wraps like the Mexican tortillas are called durum in Turkey.

I asked my husband if he thought lahmacun was more a kind of pizza or a kind of tortilla and he says pizza so that is enough for me ;)

Call it what you will I'm sure we all agree it is very tasty!
I cant wait for those lovely Lahmachums in Seray Zetas in a couple of weeks. :tup
The ones they sell have bases like Pizzas.
The ones I bought in Brighton was rolled up and was much thinner but it didnt taste as nice despite being twice the price. :rofl
This has made me :rofl so much!

It reminds me of a discussion on another forum I go on about the difference between a barm/bap/roll/muffin :D
I'm beginning to feel hungry now all this talk of lahmacun :)
Im off to look at the photos of the ones I took in Seray Zetas last year. :tongue :rofl :rofl
Groovybaby, like I said, and Dazbo has also stated, no-one wanted an argument on here - does it really matter as much as you seem to think? Why all the fuss, you ask? Seems to me you're the one making all the fuss. And in any case, quite frankly, I find your last post patronising in the least to suggest that just because I'm Scottish, I wouldn't understand about Turkish food or the language. Let's just keep the thread on topic, please...
I find the best kebabs (Im Scottish too, so obviously too dumb to know what a wrap is :rofl )down on the stalls near the harbour and along the beach front. Actually i tend to find the best food in Turkey to be the food in the local cafes and smaller places.

Our Turkish restaurant at home makes lovely food but I do think they slightly change it to suit us as in Turkey I find the food to be slightly different.
greenshoes wrote:
I find the best kebabs (I'm Scottish too, so obviously too dumb to know what a wrap is :rofl )down on the stalls near the harbour and along the beach front. Actually i tend to find the best food in Turkey to be the food in the local cafes and smaller places.

Our Turkish restaurant at home makes lovely food but I do think they slightly change it to suit us as in Turkey I find the food to be slightly different.

So I'm not the only one then... ;)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.