Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
You could ask the hotel to give you another holder to keep on, I'm sure if you explain they will help you. We stayed somewhere that this happened once and we just took the key off the ring but I know it isn't possible with all keys.
It will keep cool in the fridge. When you take the key out the power does go off, to the electric supply but it would be most unusual for the fridge to go off, any aprtments I have ever stayed in in Turkey or indeed anywhere the fridge always stays on. Even if it does go off the fridge will retain a fair amount of the cold. I have been taking insulin to Turkey for past 12 years without any problems.

I assume that your insurance company is aware that your wife is diabetic, if not you need to let them know

Stewart
If it is a card that you put in a slot to keep elec on, simply use another card. I usually use my tesco club card.

Denny
As been said allready, I know that the electric to the lights go off, but the apartments we have stayed on the fridge power doesnt go off. I know this because I know when I have ran up to the apartment in the day from the pool for a drink I dont put the key in the slot, but the fridge light always comes on.

Steve
You can buy a Frio wallet to keep medication cool without an ice pack ,do an internet search for it and you will find all the places that sell it ,I know people who have used it on holiday and it is great you don't need a fridge at all and they come it different sizes .Hope this helps.
Re the insurance; have a good shop around as some companies will charge loads more than others (post office have been reasonable in the past and last year was surprised by Thomas Cook who were even cheaper for the extra cover!)
Also ask for cover note from GP or hospital explaining why you are carrying the medication(s); useful when going through customs etc...
thanks for the replies the frio wallet sounds good,we are staying at the Yunus hotel in Marmaris and the fridge does go off when removing the key fob as it did in the Mehtap,last year we tried to keep the power on using a matalan card as was told that sometimes works but not that time,will take tesco clubcard and try that this year,not got insurance yet as my wife only started on insulin two weeks ago we knew it was going to happen so just waiting to see how she manages with it she is using the pen for injections.....many thanks
I never thought of fridges switching off without the card whats the point in having a fridge if you had drinks in it they would be warm if you were out all day. The frio pack is good even if you are going on a day trip and need to take medication with you.
we go bed and breakfast it is a small fridge the hotel calls it a mini bar, contents= 1 beer 1 cola 1 orange juice 1 water 1 carbonated water no spirits any liquids that we put in are removed but we tipped the cleaner and she left ours alone.....
Frio site looks good ,I shall order headband for my husband who has migraine and drink coolers for our next holiday.
We often remove some things from minibars and put our own in. We've never "got into trouble" for doing this.
Hi I have been an insulin dependant diabetic for over twenty years now and travel all over the world ,especially Turkey .If you go to your local chemist you will be able to buy an insulin travel wallet which is like a small cool bag that you freeze the ice packs in it then store your insulin in it .It will stay cool for ages .Do not freeze the pack with the insulin in it and never store your insulin in the freezer compartment of a fridge .I sometimes carry two wallets one to be kept fozen and one to store the insulin and after a short time it becomes easy to work out how to change it about .Before i had the wallets i used to carry the small ice packs that you use in a cool bag and freeze them and pack them around my insulin in a small bag in the bathroom which is usually the coldest room .Always read the cooling and storage instructions on your insulin and you wont go wrong .Some people ask the hotel if they can store their insulin in the kitchen fridge ,do not be tempted to do this ,its a no no. If they inadvertently put in in the freezer or drop the pens then you are in deep trouble .Also there is the other chance that somebody could tamper with it .A diabetic should always be in control of their insulin and it will control you.If i can help with anything else just ask.

Bluepeterno1
Just another wee point nubber ,if you are carrying needles and insulin pens on to the planes you are supposed to have a letter from your gp stating that you are a diabetic and need to carry them.
Bluepeterno1
many thanks for the information i am sure all will go well....thanks
Back to the insurance; you must state her condition as will not be covered for any related problems if unlucky...
Also be aware that the insulin can work quicker in your system in the heat ,making you more prone to a hypo (but a good excuse for an icecream!); Lucozade tablets are a good one to carry around...
I was worried when I went abroad (to Crete) after being first diagnosed (about 16 years ago) but have always managed fine so far. It's also wize to ask how long the meal will take to arrive-although this was usually more of a 'problem' in Greece..
Good luck with it all,
there is life after insulin!!!
best wishes BP
Thanks blodwyn,know exactly what you are saying, same to you .

Bluepeterno1
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.