Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Great report so far.. it was lovely meeting you at the Carvery too :)
I'm liking this one, keep it coming. Must be quite a few others who could add a report to keep the forum active.
excellent and informative report Kevin...keep it coming! ;)
chilly
Really enjoying your report Kevin

Ann says it is OK if you want to put your video on you tube and did you get any of the Amazing Luscious Linda at Clif's birthday bash
Thanks Meagain, will do.
Sadly I was so captivated by Linda's lusciousness I forgot to switch on the camera!
Trip Report (week two) - The Ashes Test

Our final Sunday night (or so we thought!) and after last year there was only going to be one choice of venue and that was Mayonna Creekside restaurant , although I was a little alarmed to see the evening billed as ‘Alan and his friends from England' - had the good Doctor Alan been struck off I wondered?
Another good night, highlights being Prana Ji's ‘Oh India', Kate(?) singing ‘Summertime', and Jill's large Tandori Pomfret which turned out to be the value meal of the holiday at RS400.
Monday, and one of the Biera Mar's taxi drivers, Raj, was waiting as promised to whisk us off to Small Vagator beach for a change of scenery. A fairly short trip north through Anjuna brought us to the edge of a steep descent down to the beach, but not before Raj had taken us ‘off road' up to a ridge with good views of both the beach we were to visit and the coast line looking south towards Anjuna and beyond. Raj also invited us to try some berries on a bush nearby. They turned out to contain a white, slightly fluid flesh which was very refreshing. Small Vagator beach was a little disappointing in that we were contantly plagued by sellers, each of which we had to say "no" to at least five times. Jill had her legs threaded and then we couldn't get change from any of the shacks - I eventually had the sense to buy a coke from the very last one and by the time I'd gotten back to ‘our' shack I was less than happy. In retrospect having already has some items from ‘our' shack I should have simply asked for the bill, I'm sure the change would have become available then - All in all not our best day!
Our choice for that evening's meal was Captain Lobo's Beach Hideaway down CSM road, largely dictated by the fact that they had a comedian advertised. Very funny but sometimes a little too near the knuckle for our sensitive tastes. My Fish ‘n Chips was superb but Jill's Chicken Tikka Masala was very ordinary leading her to decide never to order it in Goa again - she's going to stick to the Bengal Butler in Biggin-on-the-Bump in future.
Tuesday, and it was back to Baga beach and a visit to ‘Bottle Bay'. Service a little slow here, both on the beach and inside, but we liked both the food and the individual little ‘alcoves' in the eating area - It's not as if we were in a hurry after all.
Tuesday night, it is powerful hot, and there's not a breath of wind - Daytrippers have closed for the season so we book a Dolphin and beach Barbeque trip through a local agent and then head down Tito's Lane to the nearest beach shack to take advantage of a slight sea breeze. Jill goes for the ‘surf and turf' and I choose the fish platter. Very nice.
Wednesday, and Raj has once again persuaded us to venture further afield and we opt for Mandrem, a place we had stayed one night at on a previous visit. Raj drops us a few hundred yards further north at a place called ‘Riverside' which has a restaurant with well appointed huts that we were happy to have a look around later that afternoon - would certainly stay here for a couple of nights in the future. We crossed the river on the little wooden bridge and settled down at their associated shack. No Sellers here at all, in fact the only disturbance was the owner touting fresh fish from the restaurant. We both chose King Prawns in Garlic Butter and he suggested a timeframe that we might like to eat and prompted us with a gentle reminder shortly before the time. A little pricy perhaps, but beautifully presented, and delicious.
We were actually charged for the sun beds here for the first ever time in Goa (RS100), and I was surprised enough to mention it. The charge was immediately struck off so no real harm done to my pocket :rofl
Raj arrives to take us back bearing a couple of Cashew fruits and we bite into the flesh. VERY juicy but strangely leaves the mouth very dry. Sets me off on a coughing fit that lasts about half an hour.
Kim Farr is our choice for the evening and probably the best Chinese meal I've had for a long time.
Thursday and we are off to see the dolphins and picnic on a deserted island - sounds great although it doesn't quite follow the blurb.
No hotel pick-up on this one, but it's a short walk down to the agents office where our transport is already waiting. A drive through the early morning traffic to Coco Beach followed by transfer to a covered boat and we were off. The boat headed round towards the prison below Fort Aquada passing Palacio Aguada, a huge mansion built by businessman Jimmy Gazdar. We spent a little time looking for dolphins but the sea was quite choppy so the decision was taken to head south across the river estuary, dodging the many ore ships travelling in and out of the river mouth. We dropped the chef on land to prepare lunch and headed out towards Grand Island - it quickly became apparent that our ‘desert island lunch' was going to be held on the mainland!
Spent about one hour fishing where I didn't get one single bite although others caught fish including Jill who pulled in a fine Catfish. Good fun though, and we then moved around the other side of the island for a further hour's swimming and snorkelling and more fishing. I was a little luckier this time with about seven bites although I didn't manage to land anything - I don't think Jill believed me really! We return to the mainland in a very rough sea - the crew insisting that my camera has to go away in a cupboard, correctly as it happens as we get absolutely soaked during the crossing. We arrive on the beach and an excellent lunch is waiting. Chicken, two types of fish, Massala Dall, rice and salad, all washed down by my fifth Kings of the day. We dine next to a delightful Scottish couple who were due to go home the following day having booked flights independently as they had an apartment close to Coco beach. If you're on this forum people then I do hope you got home via Mumbai without too much of a delay.
Did the trip live up to its billing? Well no, not really. Did we enjoy it? Yes, yes, yes!
We arrived back in Baga to rumour and counter-rumour -
"Have you heard about the volcano going off?"
"What? In Goa?"
"Err, Nooooo"
A trip to reception reveals a notice stating that tomorrow's departees won't be. Oh well, it'll all be over by Christmas.
We choose Lazydays Café for dinner after repeated recommendations from other Beira Mar guests and it's a good choice - One of the few places, Jill observes, where they clean down the tables properly between diners. Can't remember what we had here, but the talk is all about the volcano.
Friday, and after checking the news we decide for something different and follow Roma's suggestion of a visit to Presa Di Goa. We collar Raj and after a quick conference with his ‘rivals' we are off and by my calculations going in the wrong direction. About half a mile East of Arpora we turn into a seclude car park and we are there, well done Raj!
Well Roma is absolutely right, and what a find! Very quite with just seven rooms and the Luxembourger owner is charm personified. Despite the worry of our impending delay we push the boat out a little bit and Jill goes for the lobster salad - We even select a half bottle of wine (as usual for Goa this is a mistake!) All of which makes this our most expensive lunch at RS1700, the quality shone through though so we didn't mind. We are the only ones there until mid-afternoon when a French family arrive, oh well, C'est la vie"¦
Raj picks us up at about five, and this time is armed with a different fruit - white, bell-shaped and about two inches across Jill & I decide that they taste a little like apples.
Saturday night is market night again and we had previously decided on another visit to Mackies market as it's closer than Ingos and we were due to leave for the airport early the next morning. Strangely despite the volcano we don't change our plans and Mackies again receives our patronage. Highlight of the evening for me was a band comprising electric sitar, didgeridoo and some sort of flute. We met a Russian Muslim dentist who in pidgin English explained that he came from a small town in the Urals where all excesses were frowned upon and now for the first two weeks in his twenty eight year old life he is "CRAZY RUSKI TOURISTICO" and proceeded to show us how - great fun and a different side to the usual Goan Russian encounter.

Week three, 'The Enforcer', to follow...
Brilliant :tup have loved both parts so far and eagerly awaiting the sequel :clap
:cheers very good kevin I really like reading your report it makes me want to be there right now cant wait to you add more ..colleen
Oh this is a fab report Kevin!! very well written, looking forward to part 3!!
chilly :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.