Eastern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Eastern Europe
Meerkat2505

Excellent review! I couldn't help chuckling about your experiences in Zakopane - your driver sounds similar to the guy we had in Tunisia a few years back who went on for hours about his views on the similarities and differences of various religions and languages. And your final comment about wanting to learn the Polish for 'No I would rather poke sticks in my eyes than look at wooden churches in the fog thank you!' made me think about our experiences with Bhuddas in Sri Lanka as well.

It's shame the weather was so foggy that day - Zakopane is a great place but definitely somewhere that's better seen in dry weather. I'm not sure you'll be going back again though!
Oh Pat. That has to be the most hilarious trip report I have read .Sorry to have laughed so much at your exspense :rofl

There did seem to be a rather over indulgance of cake there my girl :tut

Your first day sounded very good . I know you have been to Krakow before and obviously done Auschwitz, and what in and around the main square has to offer but I hadnt realised how much there was in the jewish quarter even though like you we stayed in it . Better get my guide books out again as we intend to go back there in the near future with the boys . Did you notice whether Schindlers factory had opened yet.

Now that's put me off going to Zakopane but at the same time I know it would be completely differerent on a nice day. A bit like our trip the same week to Ljubljana in the pouring rain . It does rather put a dampener (pardon the pun) on it .

lyn
Feel free to laugh Lyn - I can laugh about it now too!! I did have quite a few cake stops - my excuse was that the cake replaced lunch most of the time. I would say the Spatz hotel is much better than the Kazimierz, and it's just along the road. Really good quality for 3 star and better breakfasts. I would highly recommend it.

As far as I know Shindler's factory is not open yet, but should be soon. We went there last year and were inside, but at the time there was only a small exhibition and I was a bit disppointed in it to be honest. Hopefully it will be better once they are finished.

I think there is a lot to do in the Jewish Quarter - we didn't really stray too far from it and there are still things to do and more cake places to find I think! And great bars! I really love the atmosphere at night round Plac Nowy - so differnet from home, where I wouldn't dream of being in the town centre late on.

Next time I will go back over to Schindler's factory and Ghetto Square, the Pharmacy and maybe even the remains of the camp there. We just didn't have enough time in 4 days to do everything. I had planned a bike tour, but didn't go in the end because of the rain so that's another thing to do, oh, and go to a concert, and back to Birkenau, because I didn't spend long enough there last time. I probably wouldn't go back to Auschwitz, as you have to go on guided tours now - you can't go round on your own except early in the morning or late in the day. Actually it's closed at the moment because of the flooding risk with all the rain.

Corinne I might go back to Zakopane on a future visit if I get decent weather. I work with a Polish girl who raves about it all the time, and it's just a pity we didn't see anything -I think it would be lovely in the summer. But I will go on the bus and not with Janusz!!!
I didnt realise you could only do guided tours at Auschwitz now. I didnt like the idea of that last time and why we chose to go at our own time and speed . I can of course appreciate why others would want the guide. I felt it was very much a personal thing.

We did actually get a taxi to drop us at Schindlers factory but it was all boarded up . We did have a stroll around Ghetto square but it was on an afternoon that the pharmacy was shut . the whole area felt very deserted and rundown .

Good job I didnt book the boys trip for this bank holiday as I was going to do . The whole reason they want to go is to go to visit Auschwitz/Birkenhau. now i'm wondering if it would shut for a while and we might not make it christmas .Really glad you mentioned that .

lyn
Pat - A brilliant review. We too are fans of Krakow, after visiting just the once. Zakopane was on my short list for either October or February, but I think I might give it a miss for now, and perhaps visit one summer.
I would definitely only think about going in the summer Helen - I wouldn't take the risk of going when it wasn't a sunny day since it is a long way to go if if the weather is dodgy. It does have a certain charm though.

Lyn Auschwitz is "closed till further notice". When the weather improves I guess it will open up again. I think you can visit alone before 10am or after 3. I didn't want a guide last time because like you I think it is a very personal thing, and I wanted to have time completely alone (I didn't even go round with the people I was with :rofl ). I think you can absorb more at your own pace, and there is so much to take in. You can still go to Birkenau and not need a guide, but of course it is a different type of place to Auschwitz.
Thanks Pat . I certainly won't be booking any flights then until I know it's open again .
Eat chocolate in Wedel's at the main Square

I have to say that hot chocolate in Prowincja (Bracka Street) is better than Wedel's chocolate ;-)
I will need to find this place next year then Anais!
Do not know how I managed to miss this when it was first posted but a great review Meerkat2505, did laugh out loud at your review of your visit to Zakopane, I visited there in good weather and it is worth seeing without the fog.

Linda
Thanks Linda - I think I should have posted it in the City Break section rather than Eastern Europe. I can laugh about that day now....
I really enjoyed reading your report Pat. It was written with such humour that even your catastrophic day in Zacopane sounded good :rofl
I've only been on one city break which I loved (Prague) and will now remember not to book krakow unless the weather's promising some sunshine.
thanks for sharing :)
Hi Shirley - I have been to Prague too and prefer Krakow. I did really enjoy Prague, but Krakow has a charm which I know is going to draw me back again and again - I can't even explain it, but despite the Zakopane experience I will be back!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.