General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I got a Kindle for my birthday in November and I don't know what I would have done without it. I will not stop going to the library but during the past 2 months of bad weather i've not been able to get to the library and there are no charity shops within easy reach.
Because of increasing mobility problems, I don't know how much longer I will be able to go out and as I get through about 6 books a week, the Kindle has been great. Downloaded quite a few free books and some lower priced ones. Got a few vouchers at Christmas so will look for more soon.
I actually find it easier on my eyes than printed pages.
Glad to hear you are finding it so useful helenc,I find it amazing that you can buy just about anything without leaving the house,how did people survive without computers,ipads and the like.
Wouldn't travel without one; beats carrying around books like "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo". Very light and easy to read.
heres another one,who loves the kindle.i love always having a book to hand,as one is always just a click away.
i can't wait to go on holiday & not have to take loads of books with me.i have the case with a light on,but i must admit,if my eyes are getting tired & i really can't put my kindle down,i switch over to the i pad.
tracy
I'm leaning more and more towards getting one now. I must admit, I like the idea, because I'm a fast reader and get through loads of books at the best of times, never mind on holiday, so it would certainly save lugging so many books around.
I do think I would miss actually having a "book" to read though. There's something special (to me, anyway) about having a nice, new book and the physical act of turning the pages, etc. Does that sound daft?
Not at all,but I find that a new book is usually ruined if I take it on holiday ,the warmth of the sun loosens the glue on the spine and the pages start to fall out.I only take new books if they are a bargain price.If not I will trawl the charity shops.I usually leave the books there when I come home,if they stiil have all their pages,not if some are missing cos that would be mean.Think I'll get a kindle soon,we're off to Spain on a relaxing holiday ,staying with friends near the mountains inland from Alicante,they live the Spanish way and siesta every afternoon,plenty of time for me to read.
I had a Sony e reader for Christmas. I think it's great and can't wait to use it on holiday, like everyone else I always pack about 6 books for 2 weeks :)
Just downloaded a few books today using some of my gift vouchers. I particularly like the sample pages as I was able to read about 3 chapters before deciding to buy or not. I had searched today by the names of some of the authors I enjoy. Realised one I had picked I had read before so I didn't buy. The others were fine so I bought them. Some day I might get time to go through all the lists of the available books
could any one send me the link for free books . as the one i see on here dont really have the kind of books i read, im new to bookreader and dont know were to look for free books thanks in advance
I'm seriously looking at the different kindles,can anybody tell me if the 3G version can actually surf the internet or does it only pick up some bits.jeanie mentioned being able to access ht and facebook,which version is this,please.Thanks for all your help everyone,just need to decide which version would be better for me.
You can go on the web with it, but keep in mind that there is no mouse so navigation can be difficult. And of course, everything is in black and white!
Thanks Gooorooo,so it's not really worth spending the extra ,we've got a netbook and i-pod so could use those anyway.
I am still trying to decide on 3G or not. I think possibly the only reason to get 3G is if you plan to use it to download books abroad - as once you've paid the internet access is free. Or if you commute and want to use it on the train a lot.

Failing that, I probably would just get the wifi one myself.
Just some info, please... a number of you have "kindles" - may I ask what are they like? - do the screens become "glared out" in bright sunlight? , are they "sand proof"?...On a two week holiday I can read about six or seven books, To save weight, it seems like the sort of thing that I could do with?

Are the downloads expensive? and how do they work? - will I need to connect it to a PC or something?

Any info appreciated..

ATB,J.
Only got my Kindle in November so can't answer about glare or sand. In one way I still prefer an actual book but my Kindle was a godsend in December when I couldn't get out to the library because of the weather. You do not need a PC to download. There are masses of free books available and the ones I have paid for have ranged from 47p th £5.99. If you want the latest bestseller I think it could be expensive but if you are thinking about buying a book, you can download a sample (about 2 or 3 chapters) before deciding to pay.
I got mine from Amazon but I see Tesco are selling them now.
I just looked on Tesco's site but couldn't find kindles,they have some in PC World ,though.I think I'm going to get one tomorrow.Had a look at one today and think I'd rather buy from a shop than the internet cos the price is the same and I won't have to be home to sign for the delivery.
Helen if you don't need a pc to download then how do you get the new 'book' onto your kindle and where do you buy from? I just assumed that you buy from the net the actual kindle or similar type of thing, then you purchase the e-book from amazon or whereever straight to the PC, is that not the case then?
books can be downloaded direct from a PC, or delivered to your Kindle through your wireless connection.
When I spoke to a salesman in PC World I asked the difference between the two kindles available and he told me that you could download books on the cheaper one providing you were in a wifi spot. The more expensive one meant that you could download books anywhere, no pc or wifi needed as it has it built in.I shall buy the cheaper one and load it with lots of free books as well as ones that I choose to pay for. Hope this helps.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.