General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Funnily enough I was reading reviews for the Amazon Kindle just last night as am sort of interested.

I usually buy my books from charity shops so the only thing putting me off is paying more for e books.

I got interested when, in one of the threads on HT, (think it actually was in here?) someone mentioned taking their e reader on holiday.
I usually go to the charity shop too,I only ever read books once ,also go the local library but just wondering about a kindle.To take enough books to read I would need extra baggage,I already pay for an extra 5kg each and use some of hubby's allowance.As there are just the 2 of us most of the time now I seem to read more,don't have to watch our youngest in the pool or sea and I hadn't realised until our holiday last year,the first on our own,just how much time I spent watching him.The main thing I worry about with a kindle is leaving it on the sunbed if I want to go in the sea.We have "itsas" with secret pockets but as they too become popular the pockets won't be secret for long.T.
aint got a kindle , but hubbie bought me a view quest for christmass, and to tell you the truth, im hopeless at setting it up im not clued up with stuff like this, somhow i did manage to download a few books on it via laptop, but thats as far as it goes . i know should be gratefull for him buying it, and i am, its just he does things on impluse and it reaaly gets on my nerves, like the bookreader, i new he was looking at them , then asked me what i thought, told him i like to look on the net and read up on it, but like all the time he didnt wait and went and got me one, if im honest id of rather he got me a kindle cos ive read a lot bout it plus there seems to be more sites on the internet to download free books, were as im kinda limited to the books i can down load with view quest, and still cnt find my way round it ,
like the people on here i love to read on holiday and if i can get the books i want on this view quest it will save me taking at least 3 books with me, if any one can help me sort out the settings on this id be gratefull thanks in adavance :)
Ive got one! its brilliant,haven't paid for a book yet.Once you register your kindle with amazon you get the opportunity to download books for free,and I have about 20 really good books(not cost me a penny) they offer the free books for a few hours so you need to log on every day and have a look as certain books that are popular the charge will go back on.I have downloaded books for free that a day later can cost as much as £10
really saves on weight when going on holiday,mine also has wifi, only limited but I can acces HT and facebook when I am away and keep in touch with my granchildren.
Jeanie
Thanks Jeanie for your reply,I will probably get one soon,just want to convince hubby that it's his idea.We keep looking at them,can you tell me if it is bright enough to read in a darkened room,we live on a main road and I hate to close the curtains but don't want to put a bright light on as then everybody can see into my house.T.
I know they have an anti glare screen but never thought about a light up screen - thanks Oscarben :tup

I love to read on a night - am too nosy to read much during the day on my sunbed :tup
I don't have a KIndle, I've had a SonyReader 505 for a couple of years now, and it's all the reading I take on hols. I download a few books a few weeks before I go, and I'm sorted! Saves on luggage space as well ;)
PS - I bought a hard travel cover for it, which has an integral reading light - brilliant!
you can buy a light that clips on,about £7 from amazon.Also would like to mention they are so easy to turn the pages,imagine sitting on your balcony with a beer a sandwich and a bowl of crisps,you rest your kindle on your knee and you only need one finger to turn a page !simples!
i wouldn't be without mine
Jeanie
I don't have one but quite a few of my friends do and they LOVE it. I really really want one.
last time i looked a kindle was selling for 109 pound on amazon, if that helps
dont know but if i get mine up and running ill be takin mine with me on next holiday, so will let you know when i get back, tho saying that you might be away and back befor i go away again to goa, im not going there till nov again :)
Going to Cuba and Lanzarote before then tammie. :sun2 I like to read whilst lying face down hanging over the end of my sunbed, with book in sand. I'm thinking that's not going to be a great idea with any type of ebook reader.
Please do let me know though 'cos I can't see me getting one until the sand has been tried and tested :rofl
I'm kind of interested in this too. The only thing that put me off was paying £110 (which is brilliant) but then having to pay around £13 for each book at a time. I know you can download free books but I like Martina Cole, Kimberley chambers etc and they are not free! :(

CourtneeLouise
I got one for christmas and it's the best thing I've ever had!

You can't read it in the dark as it's not backlit but that's a good thing, it means that you can read for hours at a time without it hurting your eyes, anything back lit can cause eye strain if you use it for prolonged periods. I just use a cheap led booklight if I want to read in the dark.

I've got so many books on it, loads that I've downloaded for free off Amazon, a few that I've paid less than £1 for that looked good, but (and I know it's naughty so please don't shout at me!) I've also bought a cd off eBay with 740 books on for £4.99 which is pretty good especially as it's a lot of authors that I already knew and already have the hard copies for. The formatting's a bit dodgy in places but still readable.

I can't see sand being a major issue if you put it in a case and are careful.
Thanks for all your replies,I think I'll start saving,it will cut down down the amount of luggage I take.
unless the sand was blowin hard i couldnt see it being a problem to be honest, i know this is goin to sound silly but if your that worried bout sand, put it in a clear palstic bag. hopefully you can still read it tho lol :)
A plastic bag is a good idea. Think I would defo need to wear my glasses, which is something I don't usually do on holiday!!
I got a kindle for xmas. I wasn't too sure at first if i would like it but have to say i'm impressed with it.
I also downloaded some free books and some at £1. Would recommend it.

Maryb
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.