General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
Re: Kindles
203 Posts
I have a neoprene case for day to day carrying about of my kindle but am thinking of getting a plastic one for use on holiday, by the pool, on the beach etc.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TrendyDigital-WaterGuard-Waterproof-Generation-Display/dp/B003ZRFXZW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1304766078&sr=1-3-catcorr

This kind of thing.
Hi, just linked to the WHS site above... didn't realise that WHS ebooks don't send to kindles... :(

ATB,J.
My case is upvc,looks like leather and all the buttons are easily accessible.I doubt very much that the kindle would be waterproof but am not willing to find out,I just don't intend walking around near the pool or sea with it in my hands.As for sand I'll try not to drop it but will keep it in the pocket of my "itsa" when not using it.
so if you have a kindle..are you restricted to where you can down load from?

I am leaning towards this..my kindle would come on a dive boat with me and I like the idea of being able to protect it from damp and water...

many thanks for your replies...
Yes, kindle runs on the .mobi format and they're not sold everywhere. You can get them from other sites than Amazon though, smashwords is one and there are more but I can't remember them. On the kindle boards on the amazon website you can get loads of info about different sites.

If you got the 3G kindle you could even download from amazon on the boat!
excellent..thank you for your replies..that is next week's treat..or maybe at the end of the month when it is pay day!!!

A Kindle and a few books downloaded... :D
Val, I have one, I thought I would miss the feel, smell of a real book, but I dont.
A cover is a must have and a lot of covers come with screen protectors, a bit like what you get on a new mobile phone. I too wont be texting mine out in water :D but I guess its about being careful.
There are loads of free books on the amazon site and they change frequently.
I love mine and have used it non stop for the last 2 months, the battery life is amazing too.

best of luck with choosing

hugs la
i had a look at what i can down load....cant beleive how many free ones there are..and how cheaply I can get all my Jeffrey Archers!!

Thanks everyone, it will be a definite purchase at the end of the month when it is pay day..and I think I will invest in some sort of waterproof covering...just in case I forget to put it down when I jump overboard.. :rofl
Since Christmas I have downloaded over 170 free books from amazon! You can get loads of free from Smashwords too. In fact some of the ones that have got free are now selling for over £7 so there are some good deals to be had!
That's the case I have Luci. It's really good :tup
merseygull wrote:
Hi, just linked to the WHS site above... didn't realise that WHS ebooks don't send to kindles... :(

ATB,J.

you can use this site to convert ebook files to mobi format :tup
http://ebook.online-convert.com/convert-to-mobi
Thanks for that... took me straight to MALWARE!!

beware!

J.
From their Ts&CS

THE SERVICES ARE PROVIDED WITHOUT WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED. ACCORDINGLY TO THE MAXIMUM EXTENT PERMITTED BY LAW, WE EXPLICITLY DISCLAIM ALL REPRESENTATIONS, WARRANTIES, CONDITIONS AND OTHER TERMS (INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION, REGARDING SATISFACTORY QUALITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGEMENT). [b]WE MAKE NO WARRANTY THAT THE SERVICES [/b]WILL MEET YOUR REQUIREMENTS OR WILL BE AVAILABLE ON AN UNINTERRUPTED, SECURE, OR ERROR-FREE BASIS. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT WE WILL NOT BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER SYSTEM OR TO THE COMPUTER SYSTEM OF ANY THIRD PARTY THAT RESULT FROM USE OF THE SERVICES. IF WE PROVIDE ADVICE OR INFORMATION ON WAYS TO USE THE SERVICE OR WAYS IN WHICH YOUR USE OF THE SERVICES MAY BE IMPROVED, WE ARE NOT OFFERING ANY PROMISE OR GUARANTEE IN ADDITION TO THOSE EXPRESSLY STATED IN THESE TERMS OF SERVICE.
I must have been lucky then, I've used it numerous times since I got my Kindle with no problems with my computer or Kindle.

Sorry for giving you a bum steer.. :whoops
No worries, but it was a bit disconcerting to get the dreaded "windows antivirus!, your machine is infected!, please wait while we perform a full scan".....

AND it got past my Pop-up blocker!

ATB,J.
I love my Kindle but unfortunately mine packed in on my on my recent holiday - 5 months old. Opened it up one day and only half a page of words appeared - nothing would move it. Went on line and did everything we were told on the help page so finally emailed Amazon. They were very good and replied straight away but the only thing we were able to do was wait until we got back to UK and get back in contact with them.
We did this and they sent me another Kindle immediately and a label to send the broken one back but having had the good service it did not take away the fact that I was also without reading material for 3 weeks and had no chance of buying or borrowing books written in English.
It drove me up the wall sat on a remote beach with nothing to read. :( :(
-------------------------------------------------------------

I bought the 3G version (£150) and books downloaded in seconds and also used it to send emails from Far East. When it was working did not have a problems reading whilst sat on the beach in the sun and bought the cover with the back light which was brilliant to read in bed whilst OH was sleeping. Also bought daily newspaper which was delivered at the same time every day.
When I got my replacement Kindle all the books were replace but not the articles I had "saved" from the newspapers.
I have just got my wife a 3g Kindle for £132 instead of £152.
Just use tesco direct and on their site there is a code for £20 off over £150 or £10 off over £100. It's all very easy and ends 5th of June!
Just go to their website and click on THIS WEEKS TOP OFFERS.

Now I know this offer isn't just for kindles but I know a lot of people on here were talking about them so thought it'd be useful. I doubt you'd be able to get one cheaper anywhere at this time!

btw my wife loves hers and she's only had it since 5pm!!!

EDITCould this not have stayed as a new topic so people could actually see it if they didn't enter the kindle thread?
Have edited the title for a while Chivas to draw attention to the post :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.