Indian Ocean inc. Maldives/Mauritius & India Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in India and Indian Ocean.
We stayed on Karumba in March 2003 and it's been totally refurbed since then. From what I've seen of the new accommodation (at the dive Show last year) it looks superb.

Karumba is very close to Male and the airport which has advantages (quick speedboat transfer after a long flight) - and disadvantages (you do lose some of the Robinson Crusoe appeal of the maldives as you can see the lights of Male and aircraft coming in to land etc!). That being said, we weren't disturbed by the aircraft AT ALL.

Most nights we sat out on the beach to enjoy their themed buffets (the Seafood one was out-ot-this-world and although the significant other can't eat fish or shellfish, he found more than enough to keep him happy too!!) and watched the aircraft taking off (and numerous thunderstorms in the distance although we never saw a drop of rain)

Food and staff in Karumba were very good - certainly preferred it to Paradise Island. also some excellent dive sites nearby and the dive centree is run by Euro-divers which are a very slick and professional organisation,.

One other thing, the hotel chain that Kurumba belongs to, also owns a large cruise boat that tours the Maldives. For the life of me I can't remember which day it was,(possibly Saturday?) but on the cruise-ship change over day, all of THEIR passengers rather invaded Karumba - made things a bit busy. Good day to take an excursion if you can!

If I were given the opportunity to go back, I certainly wouldn't turn it down!!
Went to Karumba before refurb but was still impressed.
Only two faults.
I think Karumba is one of the only islands to have a man made sea wall surrounding the island which does restrict the snorkelling unless you are brave enough to go through one of the wall breaks.
Second, although this is not really a fault and is probably the same on all the other islands. Remember you are a captive audience and the drinks were, and probably still are, expensive.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.