EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
kusadasi
14 Posts
Hi Chadda,
We just gone through all that setting up home business only in Side. We bought duvets ( 4.5 tog) here as well as some bedding and took them with us. You should have no trouble with the rest of your furniture requirements either as most of what you can get here is available in Turkey. Delivery men very obliging, my double bed would not go up the spiral staircase so was hauled up the outside of the building ( 3 floors) at 9 o'clock at night!
The only problem we came up against was that the Turkish love of red orange and green in any combination did not quite fit in with my wifes idea of what a three piece suite should look like. we're all for "as in Rome" but this was a step too far for us!
My wife is at this moment in Kusadasi, she returns home Friday and if you like I will ask her to post the brand names of the more "european furniture. Did hear there is going to be an Ikea in Istanbul!
Hope this helps
Regards Brickie
Thanks for reply brickie
Looks like your wife could come back home with the news that you have
Purchased another one in kusadasi ha ha only joking
Thanks again for the info
Regards
chaddda
Last week in Kusadasi, I was shocked to see the price of furniture. We had a turkish man with us for negotiating power, but the prices were high. For example- I bought a sideboard which cost 800ytl(about £320) I thought at that price it would be good quality, but when it was delivered I realised that it was mostly mdf type stuff. there were gaps in the doors, and it was easily rocked from side to side. AND it was ugly. I went back to the shop to exchange this, but couldn't find anything suitable at the samre price(a refund was out of the question). I thought this might be a good chance to get the tv etc(which was low priority) but the shop man said it had to be exchanged for the same type of thing-something to do with their receipts!!!! Anyway I paid an extra 250ytl for another sideboard-and I didn't get a receipt for the increased amount. So much for cheap as chips!
Mrst last time i had a guy in a shop here refusing a refund I asked him "which leg" when he asked what i meant I asked him which leg he wnated breaking if I didnt get my refund oddly enough he paid up there and then :lol: :lol:
Where wereyou when I needed you :lol:
Bryn, you are nothing but a hooligan.... I did ask once if the man like his testicles where they were, but he had a big brother so the discussion was brief :oops:
Normally if a woman shouts and makes a fuss in front of other customers it works a treat..... give it a whirl Mrst... as for furniture prices they are getting more expensive. if you can find a decent carpentry workshop then have them built yourself... just show a picture and give measurements.
Think for now we're just about spent up with furniture, but will keep the carpenter in reserve for a later date. Meanwhile we have a new contact who's moto is "never mind english prices-you're in turkey now" and our first purchase with her was refreshingly affordable. Here's to new acquaintances :idea:
Hi, I have just posted a question about Kusadasi in the main forum and noticed yours. We are thinking about buying in Kusadasi. If you have any recommendations re agents and lawyer, etc it would be really helpful. We are going next month, fingers crossed!
We looked with several agents, and obviously bought from the one who had the property we liked and who we trusted. Not sure if it's ok to give this link or not. If it gets blocked send me a pm and I will send you details.
http://www.kusadasipropertysales.com Please do not confuse this address with kusadasi properties as we had a less than pleasant experience with them.
Anyway we first went out in October, and paid our 10% deposit-applied for military clearance etc.. We went back in January to complete the deal, but clearance hadn't come back. I used a lawyer, because I wasn't comfortable doing it without one. Lots of people say it's a waste of money. It probably is if everything is ok, but if there's a problem, you've got your contact in place. The lawyer we used came from Ankara, and cost about £600 as i recall.(long story why he came from Ankara) Anyway we got our clearance in February and I stayed in the apartment in April-no problem . We got the tapu(deeds) last month when my husband and I could go together. With hindsight it might have been a better idea to do it all in one name, so one could go and do the official bit, while the other stayed home with the kids. Worth bearing in mind if you have other commitments. We're going again in august hopefully just for fun-no paperwork etc, but we'll see. I could go on and on , but feel free to contact me for specifics. I've also found in the early stages http://www.turkeyvilla.com was great for advice and support. Good luck. We certainly are glad we did it
hi all we to have a villa in kusadasi the real estate agent that we used was a english girl that has lived in turkey for 16years she is brill just dont know what we woud of done with out her there web site is [url]www.kusadasirealestate.net the villa that we have needed a little work doing to it but thay got it all done for us . even turning up on a sunday (there only day off) to over look the delivery of the beds ect.
Brickie,

the range of furniture is getting slightly better. we bought may2004 and the choice was appalling. we bought three piece suites (us and friends)in Soke' which is about an hour away from altinkum. they delivered the same day but hadn't realised they would come in an open lorry. we could not see the colours for dust. the next hour was spent cleaning them.
the bedroom suites are made like MFI did them 20 years ago. one of our drawers in the bedroom looks like the mafia have sprayed inside. in the end my husband took the screwdriver off the lad and put the handles on himself. one thing though, they deliver quicker than back home, and stay till the jobs done. we've had the tv lads for the satellite dish stay till 11pm till we got a good picture.
i thought the furniture in Kus last year was good value. Bought some from Bellona shop - good quality. For cheaper stupp Egge [or Edge] near the cemetery was excellent valus.

Used a solicitor in Kus for first purhase - about 1000 euros- and did the second [and third and fourth] myself.

http://www.realestatekusadasi.co.uk were good...but there are plenty of bonafide agents there.

Signing contracts to build offplan 25 villas myself so hope all goes well.

Good luck in your hunt - it can be good fun - but rememeber location location....or as they say look with a view to sell not with a view to buy.

cheers

Pat
you're brginning to sound like an entrepreneur Pat :lol: Good luck with the venture. Hope it all goes well
Christine
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.