Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
Judith,
Lagos (pronounced LARGOSH) is a great place. here is all you will need to know.
http://www.simplylagos.com/
The further west you travel from Lagos, the less mass tourism has affected the Algarve; whilst Lagos has most of the tourist trappings ( and some superb restaurants) in addition to still being an authentic Portuguese working town, villages such as Burgau and Salema to the west are much less tourist-orientated although they, too, are becoming more and more popular with foreign visitors with new homes springing up.
To the far western end of the Algarve, you'll find Sagres and Cap St Vincent- both worth a visit - and some spectacular coastal scenery;head North a little from Cap St. Vincent and you'll find gorgeous, semi-deserted beaches such as Bordeira and Carrapateira, and be sure to look up Amoreira beach, near to Aljezur-http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo188494.htm&usg=__2TIhHbSjbjwy8BPAJuBKo6KtRm0=&h=516&w=784&sz=179&hl=en&start=6&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=h2zCT4hNymoGFM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAmoreira%2BTrek%2BEarth%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1"" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">http://i1.trekearth.com/photos/12519/th-pt04p0815.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.trekearth.com/gallery/photo188494.htm&usg=__2TIhHbSjbjwy8BPAJuBKo6KtRm0=&h=516&w=784&sz=179&hl=en&start=6&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=h2zCT4hNymoGFM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=143&prev=/images%3Fq%3DAmoreira%2BTrek%2BEarth%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26tbs%3Disch:1" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">HERE
As Dan says, simplyLagos give an excellent taster to the delights of Lagos and I can vouch for the accuracy of their restaurant recommendations. Enjoy Lagos and shout if you need further info.
Many thanks for the info. Some reading and planning to do now , I just wish I was going this month not next. I'm ready for some better weather and a change of scenery.

Judith
Judith, you are going at the right time. Friends there tell me it is very very wet indeed and chilly! :(
Sand City is worth a visit also, IMHO cheap to get into and whiles away a few hours.

Also don't forget a trip Caldas de Monchique a small town (not to be confused with Monchique) where you can get straight out of the oven buns with sausage. And a lovely walk :tup

Caldas de Monchique http://www.algarve-beach-life.com/caldas-de-monchique.html
Fiesa, the sand sculpture display, doesn't normally open 'til sometime in May, so don't be surprised if you can't find any mention of it. If it is, by any chance, open, as Glynis says, it's well worth a visit- best early evening so you'll be able to see the sculptures by daylight and again floodlit - same sculptures but a totally different experience. ;)
Keep the advice coming, thanks everyone.

Judith
I've just re-read your initial post, Judith,and note that you like strolling on the beach. You'll adore, I'm certain, Lagos' largest beach -Meia Praia- which stretches from Lagos almost to Alvor, the neighbouring resort; it's about 5km long and has some great beach bars for when you feel like a break.
I had a very nice holiday there two summers ago in July and found it got cold at night, so a woolie for the nights will be handy. Also you can get the train along the coast right back to Faro. With a car you can go to places in land as well, like Monchique, Aljezur with its Moorish Castle and Museums, Silves is a nice place to visit again with the best Moorish Castle in the area along with its Cathedral and river side cafes for a Chicken Piri Piri lunch and a cold beer. Or you could go East to Tavira very nice Town and then on to Vila Real de St Antonio for good shopping, and over on the ferry to Ayamonte in Spain, or if you don't go to Spain you could go to Castro Marim and then on to Alcoutim on the road past the Rio Guadiana from here you can also cross the river to Saniucar de Guadina again in Spain, just a few things if you like a bit of history.
Dave.
If you like walking, go inland and visit the reservoir Barragem da Bravura. It is a huge lake with walks around, a high dam. It is also a scenic drive there by car.
Look up portugalwalks.com, Julie does half day walks in the country, and outdoor tours for all day activities like canoeing, abseiling, cycling and walking..
When you are in the country try stopping off at any small cafe. They probably won't speak or understand english and we have found they're very good value.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.