Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi Marnie, so what didn't you like about Gumbet, was Bodrum any better. Not been to either but had been considering it.
We like Olu Deniz best but did enjoy Marmaris a few years ago.
hi dadoron

i was dissapointed with gumbet firstly because of our hotel, the royal palm area, ( read my hotel review), the beach was very narrow, and not up to much, the town was a bit run down, and i didn't find any great places to eat. to be honest i probably didn,t give it a fair chance, the hotel we stayed at upset me as soon as we got there and that sort of set my mood.

bodrum is much better, the marina and castle are well worth a look.

i,m a true marmaris fan, i absolutely love the place and the people, we have made some true and genuine friends there.
iv,e been to most of europe and greece and a bit of the caribbean, but for me nothing compares to the warm feeling i get in marmaris.

marnie xxx
Basil???? I went to Marmaris 12 years ago and there was a Turkish man called Basil and he ran a bar called Basil's Bar. He was a fantastic man and his bar was so cheap and done really good karaoke. I can't remember what the bar is near or anything like that. Its just when I read the name basil it made me think of him!
could't agree more. bodrum and gumbet are poor compared to marmaris and ichmeler.
we went to bodrum and yes the castle etc is nice but the resorts are a dump - pot holes galore everywhere, run down cafes and market places with poorer quality and dearer goods.
M and I (marmaris and ischmeler) are the total opposite. marmaris is a little lively in areas but is spotlessly clean,tidy and friendly.theyre out every morning cleaning streets/paths etc and nothing is ever any bother to them.
Ischmeler is exactly the same only quieter.
:tup
Greenshoes,Basil had a fun pub up to 2 years ago when it was closed down to make way for a storm drain,we are still in contact with him and often stay in his apartments.We had a letter from him this year informing us that he is now the owner of charlies place which is near the mcdonalds up by the bazaar end,if anybody has been there yet this year let us know how basil s singing has improved.Not able to go this year but will be back next year :sun2
yes basil has got a bar near the macdonalds,still the same as years ago loves his kareoke,wev been to absolutly fabulous this year its run by an english girl and her turkish husband who used to have the rainbow fun pub last year,great fun in the armatulan area,marmrais is the quietest iv known and we have been coming since 99.
hi stew

marmaris really quiet, what a shame, i think most places are going to have a quiet season, my brother rang me from san antonio in ibiza a couple of weeks ago, i don,t know if you have been there but it is usually heaving down the west end, apparently the town was deserted practically, a beer was £5 and a bottle of lager £6, a reasonable meal was about £18,seems that the bad rate on the pound to the euro and all the extra fuel supplements is putting people off holidays abroad.
i hope the tourism picks up for marmaris, and it wouldn,t surprise me, once people realise that your money goes further in turkey than in the euro countries there will be an influx of bookings.
i know we will be there and all the rest of the family, some of my friends say try somewhere new, i did and was disappointed, so i,m back to marmaris, my philosophy is if you find a good thing stick with it.
i,m impatiently waiting for my holiday.

regards
marnie x
marmaris 20% full half term week so they say . we have just returned on saturday after been there for 19 days ,we stayed in icmeler both resorts very very quiet , we the only ones in our apartments , mega diana boat hit bad some days only 13 customers ,those that know the mega diana is always full .
that is really bad news jan, it could mean there is going to be some really good deals going in the next few weeks, already going in august, but might look to go the first week in october as well if i can get a good deal, one of my friends has gone today to the hotel gunesi, £130 for the week that is a great price.

marnie
Stewwhitt,

Is Absolutly Fabulous owned by Mehmet and Vicky, these owned the Rainbow Fun pub!!

If so do they still have the fun pub as well?? Where abouts is absolouty fabulous located?

Going again in august, 8 years now staying at sun aparts, just behin the rainbow fun pub.

Craig :cheers
We went to Basils bar pretty much every night our our holiday, can't believe
it has been 12 years since I was there! Basil was a lovely man and always singing! He
used to write to us and send us an xmas card. Unfortunately we moved and lost contact. He wont
remember me but I do have photos of myself and Basil from all those years ago so I might
take one with me when I go out this year!
basil is one of marmaris,s treasures, he should be listed in the marmaris tourist guide.

marnie x
He was a wonderful man! I was there with my family and my father (being a business man)
actually sat Basil down with his books and worked out his fianances and made him
raise his prices a little! When we went back the next night Basil had raised the prices :duh
and my dad said to him, 'you were meant to raise them when I left!' haha!
basil is definitely one a kind :rofl

he phoned me a couple of months ago saying he was in manchester and could he come and visit me! talk about catching you out!! as it happens he made alternative arrangements but no doubt will be catching up with him again in a few weeks!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.