Spain - Balearics - Ibiza Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Ibiza.
it is now 18,my son 17 was served in a few bars in escana a couple of weeks ago,but we were with him,when we went ai at san miguel he had to have a childs wrist band :( ,not that hes a big drinker,lager now and again,my freind went last year,and her daughter of the same age got an adult one,so they must be clamping down.
The legal drinking age is 18, the same as anywhere else in Europe. The fines are also large and serving underage drinkers can result in a loss of license - the same as everywhere else in Europe. We always ask for ID if unsure before serving drinks but then we are a small bar with the owners onsite every evening. If they are served by a barman or woman and then it is decided that they shouldn't be there then their money should have been refunded. There are no scams going on, just bad customer relations.

p.s. I would love to know why the word s.c.a.m.s is censored by this site, perhapds the moderators could explain.
The word is in the filter to protect us from libelous comments as someone could say that a certain company for instance was operating a sc@m.
its the wonderfull bar liquido in santa eulalia on the marina :cheers :cheers . mo.
The legal drinking age is 18, the same as anywhere else in Europe.

Are you sure about that? Europe's drinking and purchasing laws are generally a mixture of 16 and 18. Spain has only fairly recently upped the drinking age to 18. Neighbouring Portugal has no legal drinking age at all; purchasing age is 5! See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_drinking_age#Europe" target="_blank" rel="nofollow" class="break-word">here for more details.

If I was given undue harrassment from any barstaff I would tell them to stick their beer and would turn on my heel, marching to a place more amenable. There's no excuse for being shirty with paying customers.
its the wonderfull bar liquido in santa eulalia on the marina . mo.

The worst kept secret on this forum!

Are you sure about that? Europe's drinking and purchasing laws are generally a mixture of 16 and 18. Spain has only fairly recently upped the drinking age to 18. Neighbouring Portugal has no legal drinking age at all; purchasing age is 5! See here for more details.

I wouldn't believe everything that you read on wikipedia as no information on that site is verified.

Trust me, I have a bar license and in order to keep it I need to know these things!

BTW, the lowest legal drinking age in Europe is Portugal but it isn't 5 it is 16.
Age is 18 but application varies from bar to bar. Just returned to UK from Nerja where we went out to dinner to celebrate GCSE results with my son and my partner's daughter. Restaurant would not let the boy have a glass of wine with his meal but happily served the girl!
speaking from experience there are certain bars where if you have money then the barman/women will serve you no questions asked, in 5 years of going to spain and ibiza i have never once seen someone get asked for ID
i have it on good authority that money is required in most bars - even genial casper slides' - so that the purchase of an alcoholic beverage can be made.
i have it on good authority that money is required in most bars - even genial casper slides' - so that the purchase of an alcoholic beverage can be made.

That should have of course read "especially genial casper slides' " spottydog ;)
funny spotty dog! :rofl , what i meant was that they seem more bothered about making thier profit than making sure everyone in thier bar is over the legal drinking age, exuse my poor wording :whoops
matchstickman wrote:
funny spotty dog! :rofl , what i meant was that they seem more bothered about making thier profit than making sure everyone in thier bar is over the legal drinking age, exuse my poor wording :whoops

No different to the UK then!
What about the age for drinking wine or beer in a restaurant with a meal ?
I know in the UK it's 16, but I'm not certain about Spain, and my teenagers are sensible drinkers, and enjoy a glass of lager with a meal.
We was in Charlies bar in the summer,and if young ones were sat outside the waitress would not serve them without ID,even the spanish young ones did'nt get served.It should be the same rule inside too when they go to buy a drink not take there money first.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.