Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Long trousers
16 Posts
Sharm has some fairly similar temperatures to us in Cyprus and although the daytime temperatures in February are very pleasant, I would think shorts (long or short) may be pushing it a bit in the evening.

It may be okay for the first couple of evenings but once you become accustomed to the radical change of daytime - vs - evening temperatures, I think your hubby may want to wear long trousers. You're looking at a change of 10c between the hottest part of the day and the coolest part of the evening.

Plus, if they still use the a/c inside the hotel (doubt it, but..... you never know) it could be a bit chilly around the knees.

If we came to Cyprus between Feb - April and again late Oct - mid Nov we found we may go out in t-shirts the first 2 nights but after that, it definitely felt cool and the fleece or a jumper came out of the wardrobe.

Now, I don't venture out in those months with anything less than a fleece although this last winter, I did only get my puffa jacket out on a couple of occasions :think

Living in Cyprus since 2004.
It seemed to vary to me, the holiday village which I think calls itself a 5* but is an AI seemed to have a more relaxed dress code in its restaurants with men wearing 3/4 lenghts etc But the Rennaisance Golden View thats a Marriott and a BnB hotel, men seemed to wear full length trousers in the evening restaurants.

I think it varys depending on the quality of the 5*. AI's seem to be more relaxed.

Most decent restaurants are airconditioned so heat isn't really an issue, my DH prefers full lenghts as mosquitos and bitey things prefer 3/4 lenghts, especially at the time you are eating your evening meals. It wont be mega hot in Feb anyway. If its posh then I would think to take one pair of long trousers might be a good idea.

Doe
Thanks i never considered it would be cooler lol
So a bit like when we normally do canaries in feb? We normally need jeans/cardigans for nights.

Would jeans be classed as long trousers????
Get him some Chinos wear them for dinner and then change into whatever he likes!! I have been doing this for years.
Sounds like a plan ;)

Shell
Living in Cyprus since 2004.
Hi all me & the Mrs are off to Sharm in November & wondered if the nights are chilly & would we need a jumper/cardigan sort of garment to wear in an evening? Thanks in Advance.
Vicky - jeans aren't usually classed as long trousers - linens or chinos would be your best bet.
We've never had problems with jeans Helen as long as they are smart Dark jeans and not full of rips etc& worn with a shirt/polo top .I guess the sensatori resort will be a little posher but I would expect them to say "No jeans " if they were not acceptable .

I would have to pay myteenage lads a considerable sum of money for them to put on a pair of chinos or linen trousers . :rofl If they had to wear long trousers they would wear jeans or cargo type trousers.In fact Dave would probably do the same . :D
We had problems in our hotel with shorts for dinner. Even 3/4 shorts werent allowed. jeans were fine though. I dont get it though, women are fine to wear strappy tops, skirts, shorts whatever so i dont know what difference it makes.
Tamara we had that problem too at that hotel. Won't make the same mistake again. Will always take a pair of chinos now wherever we go.

Garry
In answer to bobbsy's enquiry about weather in November, lovely during the day 24 upwards but the evenings I found to be chilly enough to warrant a fairly heavy cardigan. You notice the chill more because of the daytime temps. We have found that the hotel we use tend to let shorts be worn in the buffet and have even seen three quarter shorts in the A La Carte's, my hub wouldnt dream of going out to dinner wearing shorts. But we do make a point of dinner being the highlight of the night, we like to dress for it, we dont just eat and run as a lot do.
We've been to the HV for the each of the last 2 years and i've never had a problem with wearing shorts at ANY of the restaraunts on the complex, as long as they are knee length dress shorts and not beach shorts then the hotel is ok with that...i never take long trousers with me and i won't be this year either...we go in 3 weeks :wave:
I think it depends on the hotel. There was nothing posh about the holiday village (although its a nice AI hotel so not trying to dis it), infact in the buffet restaurant I saw quite a few blokes wearing ordinary shorts not even dress ones and football tops at night time, the sort of nike thingys you can get to swim in as well as wear on the beach, obvioulsy not speedos :rofl (shame) but most people made more of an effort in the a la cartes. Don't suppose that if you are staying at the Hyatt Regency or the Savoy they would be very appreciative of shorts in their restaurants though.
long trousers are required...standards
I agree, shorts and tops that are more beach wear are not acceptable for dinner. You wouldnt go to a nice restaraunt at home dressed like you've just come off the beach so why anywhere else? If I pay for 5 star I expect 5 star standards. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.