Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
What month are you wanting to go, maxtravel ? Don't know if you'd be interested in looking at Corfu?

It's several years since I stayed in this resort, but found it very quiet, with a great beach
http://www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/ag_georgios.asp Also known as Agios Georgios. Beware, there are two places with this name, the other is NW.... although this also looks nice
http://www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/ag_georgios_north.asp

I've also stayed in Arillas in the NW, which I enjoyed for a laid-back week, and though it's larger than I remember Agios Georgios South being, it's got a nice small feel to it, with several tavenas, a couple of bars and a few small supermarkets
http://www.agni.gr/guides/resort_guide/arillas.asp
  • Edited by Phoebe 2009-09-22 18:24:17
Hi Phoebe,

Thanks for the reply. I have had a look at the links you posted and i think Arillas, Corfu looks and sounds lovely. Wanting to go on 27th May 2010.
A lovely time to see Corfu IMO maxtravel. Weather should have picked up nicely, and as such a green island, spring flowers will be out too. The west has some areas of lovely scenery, and I'd certainly go again.
Have a look at Alykes in Zakynthos - very quiet and peaceful and right on a safe sandy beach. http://www.alykes.com should help.
Wendy
Have you looked at Thassos or Skiathos? Both lovely, relaxing islands. :sun2 We are looking at Anaxos for next year, have you any recommendations for hotels or apartments? Thanks, Louise x
I must mention Symi. Beautiful harbour. Tavernas and bars. Only 2 roads on the Island.

Photos HERE

Look at the Symi Visitor site HERE which gives lots of information.
We've just returned from Hotel Nostos in Frikes, Ithaca. Really quiet, 4 harbourside tavernas. Will post review once added to review site.
I've just returned from Koukanaries on Skiathos. I can thoroughly reccommend this resort if you are looking for peace and quiet. There is a great selection of restaurants and the gorgeous sandy beach of Koukanaries is only a 10 minute stroll away. There are a few other lovely beaches an easy 20 minute stroll through the pine forests too.
Because Koukanaries is at the far end of the island road you do not get cars racing up and down all day and night either, plus if you want to have a bit of a livelier evening, Skiathos town is only 20 minutes away by bus...............and these run until after midnight too!

John :cheers
Forgot about the bus service on Skiathos, worth going for the experience! Very regular, reliable and packed! We stayed in Kolios and got the bus to different beaches most days, went into Skiathos town alternate evenings. Louise x
Hi we go to St. George South in Corfu every June for a week. Its a super resort with a lovely beach. Suits us as its for the over 40's mainly. I can recommend it!!
Taylaboo
Agia Efimia in Kefalonia is beautiful - a small harbour filled full of character and a handful of tavernas. We stayed at the Waterside Apartments, which are basic but all you need. Looked after lovingly by the owner, Vengalis. We had an apartment overlooking the harbour and the view when we opened the shutters each morning was breathtaking! More reviews of Waterside here:

http://www.justgreece.co.uk/kefalonia/comments.asp?item_ref=113

Helen
I know exactly what apartments you are on about Helen! I have looked at them many times with a view to staying there. When i am out in Kefalonia i stay down in Poros but my wife has had a yearning to stay in Aghia Efima for a few years now.
With the way the Euro is going and also the flight prices for independant travellers are soaring, the Waterside may be an option for me before too long!

John :think
John - The Waterside have a web page which does not do them justice:

http://kefa.website.orange.co.uk/

However, the telephone number is for Vengalis's son who lives in Cornwall. He is really helpful. If you do book, make sure you get a room overlooking the harbour - we had one on the corner where the balcony went right round. The apartments are self catering but the walk to the harbour for fresh bread and croissants is only a couple of minutes in the morning - and having breakfast on the balcony was out of this world.

I was totally over-awed by Efimia and we have been to over 14 islands.

Helen
hi enjoy youre 50th,,,,i would love to hear about where you go for youre next holiday as we have been to anaxos twice for a week then had a break this year in puerto pollenca ,majorca and enjoyed it but might be a little busy for you.... BUT we have just booked for 2 weeks next year in anaxos we missed it so much,,,,it is such a gem ,,,can anywhere else be as good ..im sure you will be back after a break....
Hi Giz
Where are you staying next year and have you any recommendations? We are looking to book for next year but have never been before so no ideas really. Thanks in advance.
Louise x
hi Louise,
we have stayed at the Anaxos hotel in Anaxos realy nice and friendly but are giving ther Plaza Palace Hotel a try it looks good , ..Anaxos is very quiet ,,,The next resort Petra has a bit more going on , we have walked there and it is realy nice....All the people are so friendly , Have a look at some reviews it they might give you some ideas, We cannt wait to go back...x

Hi Im gizs husband i love anoxas the tavernas are fab and really cheap about 6 euro 8 euro to throw the boat out beach is quiet but crystal clear lesbos is a great island 3rd largest greek island but tourism is not their main earner olives is then salt yes they have salt mines/areas we walk along beach from anoxas to petra we have done it by road also its great beach is best though petra loads of great tavernas shops ect and a lovely beach please dont go as we would like it kept as it is one previous person i have read about who has just come back has said they have told everyone in bristol about it ahhhhhh we have made some real friends there they have great memories and remember you and i am on e mail to some of them one man ignitious a taverna owner invited us to his birthday party in his taverna with his family it was magical and special im taking him a liverpool shirt over next year one thing my wife hates is the sunbed charge everywere but there is free as long as you buy water or something no probs with us we just fall in when too hot and have a chat and a beer wonderfullllllllllll hic the plaza palace is to die for wwe looked round it last year wow so we are delighted to go there hope we have been helpful anything else give us a buz so for now yamas
Maxtravel,
in answer to your original post I would suggest Agios Ioannis on the Pelion. This is a spectacular region frequented mainly by Greek families. Lesvos is one of our favourite Greek destinations but I must point out that there's a lot more to it than Petra and Anaxos although I agree these are very pleasant. You really need a car because the excellent bus service between Eftalou, Molyvos, Petra & Anaxos only covers a tiny part of this large island. Driving is a pleasure here, the roads are good and apart from Mytilene there's not much traffic. The roads around Plomari are fantastic, mountainous and forested. As mentioned, Lesvos is not reliant on tourism and there are no lager lout strongholds here. You might also consider Naxos or as a real escape Patmos.
Hi Maztravel, thanks for info your right,the last two years we just took it easy and enjoy walking, out at 6 in the morning walking, but this year going for two weeks i will get a car and go to the places you said thanks, their is a little village in the hill next to molyvos i hear is nice also but need a car but thanks for the reply and suggestions a big help
Giz,
the village you are thinking of is probably Vafios. One of our favourite places to eat is up there, Taverna Vafios. Views from here at dusk over Molyvos are stunning. Go easy on the wine, the road back down is narrow, pitch black and has tight hairpin bends!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.