Spain - Canary Islands - Gran Canaria Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Gran Canaria.
Mogan or Taurito. Both at the south west of the island and they get the best of the weather. Taurito has the Taurito Princess Hotel, 4* AI right next to the sea. It even has it's own diving /snorkelling school there.

The beach is pretty quiet, but i do think it needs a bit of a face lift ( they were doing it last time we were there in March/April). The resort itself is quiet but there are free buses provided by the hotel daily to Puerto Rico and Mogan. Mogan is about 4 km away and you can see the harbour from Taurito Princess Hotel. PR is about 9km away and there is always plenty going on there.

The sea can get a little choppy sometimes and there are massive rocks that can be dangerous, but there are places where it is good. The visibility can be poor sometimes. The best place for diving/snorkelling is Amadores which is between Taurito and Puerto Rico.

There is not much night life in Taurito, pretty much hotel based but you can use the facilities in the other Princess Hotel over the road. There are a couple of bars but nothing really noisy.. more tasteful that that. The majority of the guests are Northern European and Spanish, and it was great....

I am sure wherever you decide to go you and your girlfriend will love Gran Can..
Hi Mike, welcome to HT! :wave

You can read reviews for the Taurito Princess Hotel HERE .

Resort reports for Mogan HERE and Taurito HERE and HERE.

Pippy :D
Hi, thanks for the replies.
The Taurito Princess Hotel looks and sounds nice. I liked the idea of everything except one review said it was further than the beach than they thought. The free bus makes up for that anway.

Have you by any chance been to, or know anoybody who has been to Mogan Princess Aparthotel (Puerto Mogan), it looks really nice, and the reviews sound great.

Thanks again.
I don't know how anyone can say it is further from the beach than they thought..and that a bus was needed :?

It is right next to the beach....you go out the hotel, across the care park and down the steps straight onto the beach...the wall on one of the sun terraces overlooks the beach to the left...

Princess Aparthol in Mogan is very very nice and has a lot of germans staying there. In fact Mogan is lovely. I haven't stayed at the Princess Aparthol, but i am aware of it and it looks pretty classy..
Hello again.
I am definitely going to either The Taurito Princess Hotel or Mogan Princess Aparthote. I have not yet made my mind up, the pictures of the Mogan Princess Aparthotel look great, but i am guessing that pictures of most hotels do flatter them.

I have just found available rooms at Mogan Princess Aparthotel through alpharooms.com as it didnt seem to be listed with any tour operators.
I am now looking for flights, does anybody have any idea how long it would take from the airport to reach my hotel? So i can bear in mind taxi fees? Thankyou.

Also has anybody dealt with alpharooms.com before? I have only ever been abroad once before and that was with firstchoice, it does make you feel a bit more comfortable knowing it is all sorted out accurately for you.
Thanks
I am also having a bit of trouble with not noticing that the Mogan Princess Aparthotel does not state anything about the food drinks etc on websites. Although it is appearing as an All Inclusive holiday.
Is anyone understands this is it would be greatly appreciated, thankyou
If anyone would like to post a review for the Mogan Princess, please do so HERE. Thanks.

You'll find some information regarding alpharooms HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

Pippy :D
AI usually means all meals and locally produced alcoholic and soft drinks.

Transfer time from the airport to Taurito is approx 40/45 minutes but will obviously be longer if you transfer by coach as there is always the risk that you will end up dropping off at every little nook and cranny in PR on the way. Mogan is about 10 minutes up the road from taurito.

Go by taxi if you can. They can be pre booked but equally you can pick one up from the airport. Sometimes they can be pricey but also they are negotiable. Word of warning though... try to avoid taxi 81 from Mogan.. the guy nearly killed us :yikes and then got out the van to start :argue with guy in the van he nearly ran into while we were still sat shaking in the car!! I reckon you would be able to get one for about 30 euro's maybe with negotiation.. without it would be nearer 40 to 50..

don't know much about alpharooms at all but i am sure if you go into the other thread and ask someone will be able to help you ( try either DIY hols forum or tour operaters)

you will love it when you go. Make sure you try the yellow submarine from Mogan and also the banana boat ride.. it is a giant inflatable banana and it tows you behind another boat and then tips you all off into the sea.. great fun..( you can get that from PR)..oh and there are fantastic views of Mt teide in tenerife from Mogan...
Hi and thanks again for the quick advice.
It seems there is building work at the Mogan Princess Aparthotel in january (which is when im going) and although it may not be much, it will be in the back of my mind before i go.

I am going to go to the Taurito Princess Hotel that you recommended, as you seem to know what you are talking about lol.
Im just going to book it as a package though with thomson as its not that expensive anyways. (£900 for the week, both of us all inc)

Thanks again
we love the Taurito Princess so much that we are taking the rest of our family ( both sets of parents and Rob's sister, brother in law and 2 kids) with us when we return there in November.

I will post you a message about what it is like next time we go so you will be aware of any changes for when you go. Transfer on the bus is ok with thomsons as it is the first drop off and is about 40 mins but sort out your own transfer back when you go home as you are first pick up and you will be on the bus for over 2 hours and late back for the check in at the airport ( as you can tell this happened to us)

there is a new hotel being built in Taurito but i cannot remember what is is called, it is right near Taurito Princess but the building work is not disruptive to your holiday in any way...

Enjoy...
Thankyou.
Do you know of any towns nearby that offer attractions such as dolphin spotting on a boat trip, i read in a review that somebody did this who stayed at the Taurito Princess but they did not state where abouts, and i am sure the taxi fare would be worth it.

I hope you again all enjoy your holiday in november.
Thanks
You can get plenty of boat trips from Puerto Mogan or Puerto Rico. Taxi to Mogan is approx 10 euro's but there is a free bus daily from the hotel leaving at about 10.00am. Mogan has plenty of glass bottom boat trips, fishing trips, the yellow submarine and a nice market on a friday. There is a nice restaurant at the end of the harbour and you can see the hotel from there. I think it is called el faro..

Boat trips are usually every 2 hours, Submarine trips is roughly hourly and fishing trips last about 6 hours. Prices are pretty reasonable. The glass bottom boat trip will take you along the coast up to Puerto Rico and back. ( bit like catching a bus really) and the dolphin trips can be hit and miss as they sometimes don't always want to come out to play so to speak ( when the waves are a little choppy or when it is windy)..

The hotel also runs excursions, but they can be pricey if you book them through the rep. The best thing to do is pick up some leaflets on display and sort them yourself. There are some free trips up to the dunes at maspalomas and some caves somehwere but it is first come first served...

happy hols...
val and rob(,hope you dont mind me butting in) wanted to no what the lido near the hotel was like?oldest will be 15 is it worth spending an afternoon there?
no. join in, the more the merrier....the lido is nice, there are about 4 different large pools there and various water slides etc. It is generally quiet as you have to pay 5 euro's to get in and with hotels being in the main AI in the resort, alot of poeple don't tend to bother spending any time there. There is a crazy golf course there, a few exotic birds in avierys and a couple of places selling drinks and ice creams. I do think that it is worth a visit but i am not sure your 15 year old would want to spend an afternoon there. My lad is 14 and after a few zips on the various slides and a couple of games of crazy golf he was bored and wanted to get back to the animation programme at the hotel so he could play water polo, rifle shoot, archery, etc..when we go in November, he will have his 7 year old cousin with him and the lido is probably better geared to the younger kids. Your lad might enjoy the jet bikes more, available for hire on the beach...
thanks val and rob we are staying at the suite princess HB only for 4 days then we are off to anfi,not till next year though!maybe the year after we might have a week at both :D
whichever hotel you stay at in the princess selction in Taurito, you can use the facilities at the other for no charge. ( well that's how it was when we were last there in March, but we always go to Taurito Princess rather than suite princess)..

Enjoy when you do go...
thanks val and rob,will look at taurito princess while we are there,for the following year.have a great time in november.look forward to reading your latest reports!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.