Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
Bavaro in the east is one of the best beaches with lots of choices of hotels, quite a few are adult only. With few exceptions, I would aim for a 4* at least but please do your research online, some of the hotel resorts are huge, some more compact but still big, only you can decide which would suit you better.

The food varies from one hotel to the other but its not fine dinning in most, you won't starve though, the selection is usually enormous with choices of speciality restaurants you can book in advance as well as the buffets.

The weather is just about perfect at that time of the year and its out of the main hurricane season but it is the tropics and anything can happen although it rarely does in February. When it does rain, it comes down like a sheet but usually during the early evening or in the night and it doesn't last long.

Tipping is the norm there, the staff are very poorly paid, its best to take US$ and lots of low denomination notes as change in often given in Pesos which is the local currency. Always use the room safe for anything valuable, don't take chances, theft is rare but it does happen, its a very poor country.

It's helpful to learn a few phrases in Spanish, most of the staff speak English but the room maids often don't, the Dominican people are fantastic and will look after you if you treat them politely.

Now the bit that usually upsets people, please be prepared to see poverty outside of the resorts. The first time we went I was really shocked, I just hadn't expected it. Once you get into the resorts you wouldnt know whats going on outside, most are very impressive and the paradise you are expecting.

We have been to the DR about 10 times now, my favourite hotel so far is the Sirenis Tropical Suites on Bavaro beach but we leave tomorrow for the Bavaro Princess and that looks very good. I'll give you an update on my return.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.