General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
thankyou that is very helpful... think i will try and re-arrange the cases so we are taking out just under 2 stone each, then we will be able to bring back a few gifts etc :cheers
Just read through this topic after paying £72 excess baggage for two of us flying out to Cyprus and 92 euros flying back when we went in June :duh . Found a set of digital scales on ebay for £0.99 plus £3.99 delivery, got to be cheaper than paying excess baggage again when I go next month :tup
Have just ordered some luggage scales myself as off to USA in a few weeks.

Whilst doing some searching I came across this article-interesting!

http://www.oakleyweigh.co.uk/blog/2008/08/faulty-airline-baggage-scales.html
I see that article is dated 5 August 2008, but the excess baggage charge for FlyBe is wrong as it is currently £9/kg. :yikes We are flying with them next Sunday to Southampton. Last time we flew with them there was no problem outward, but on the return we were told we were 20kgs over which I find very hard to believe. However as we only had 10kgs hand baggage they *only* charged us for 10kgs.

I have the digital scales ready to go into the case and will argue the point if there is a considerable difference, not that it would probably get us anywhere as they could argue that their scales are calibrated regularly whereas my scales wouldn't be.

luci :wave
could argue that their scales are calibrated regularly whereas my scales wouldn't be.

you could then get teche' with them and ask when and who by were they calibrated and do they have a current certificate of compliance
A word of advice needed from any one of those who have posted of the brilliance of the luggage scales. We are preparing our cases - all 4 of them!! - ready for our winter departure - and just cannot get the hang of using them. Firstly, the hook is too small, but we've just about managed to squash the fabric handle enough for it to squash in, but then, we have the problem of lifting the weight whilst desperately clutching the little handle. :think Frank is strong, but he couldn't hold the weight up long enough for me to read the dial. We have brought 2 scales - one for each end, but I can see us going back to the bathroom scales again unless someone has the easy answer. :( Should perhaps add that the weights are 2x23kilos and 2x32kilos Thanks in advance. Jenny x
I bought digital scales from Lakeland. The scales are £19.99 so more expensive but no hook.
There is a strap which goes into and has a clip which is fixed and then locks. When you lift the case or bags or whatever it will bleep when the weight is calibrated. You leave the bag down and the weight is on the scale. Use with Kgs or Lbs, Reset button and also on/off. They run on 2 AAA batteries and I feel that they are incredibly accurate.

Sue
Thanks for that keela leva2 , but both of mine are from the Go range at John Lewis and have a silly little hook. We find that it is virtually impossible to hold the weight up when holding the small handle on the top! We tried to do it with me sitting on the floor holding the bottom of the suitcase and then, when Frank has a secure grip, I let go and tried to quickly read the dial. This always resulted in the handle slipping off the silly small hook and falling on me. It started as being funny, but quickly progressed to *!?$**@!%?. :rage
Don't know if you can see the style on this link.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/images/B000XSRIQI/ref=dp_image_0/202-1854143-7225467?ie=UTF8&n=11052671&s=outdoors

Thanks anyway - Jenny x
We bought Lakeland ones in June and have used them a couple of times. Our weight tallied with the weight on the Airline scales. We also checked ours by putting small amounts into a plastic bag then putting it onto my kitchen scales with weigh upto 5kgs then added them all together. Checked this with the suitcase weight and they were both the same.
Feel they were a good buy.
Agree absolutely. I have a problem with lifting and when packing here on my own I did as you did and weighed in batches. Putting things into carrier bags or any type of bag. Weighing and recording the weigh and then adding it all up. They are incredible accurate and a substantial piece of equipment. BA were selling the same scale for £17.99 but they charge postage unless you are spending over £30 I think.

Sue
Thank you both for that - I will go back to the bathroom scales - never had a problem with those and can use them on my own! :tup Jenny x
Jenny

The scales I got from Betterware are very similar to yours. I also bought digital ones, but the hook on them is even smaller! :yikes We will probably have the same problems on Sunday when we finish the packing.

Hi Luci - I do hope that you have better luck than I did. Let me know if you find the knack. :offtop I know, but did you notice that I did A LINK!!!!!!!!!!! Jenny x
We will be weighing the cases just before we leave so I won't be able to post on Sunday to let you know how we got on.

Ooooo a link! Now that was easy, wasn't it? Well done.

Well we just had an attempt to weigh the cases before they are fully packed. Hubby said the digital ones are a no no as the hook is tiny. It's about the size of a 50p piece. He is happy with the Betterware ones though, which are similar to yours Jenny, as they have a proper handle and a bigger hook.

Hi luci - good luck to Mr Luci when he tries to lift a full case. Get the bathroom scales ready Luci!! xx
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.